automatic transmission help please

rodney

:
mazdaspeed 3
automatic transmission HELP ME PLEASE

Im new to this forum and just bought the car about 6 months ago and i have 47,000 miles on it. Any ways im a tech at Nissan and i was leaving work today and when i went to put it in reverse, it mada a loud clunk noise when it shifted into reverse. i could also feel it,(kinda like it got stuck for a second). well im seeing that it only happens when im elevated on a hill and not when im on level ground. Has anyone else had this problem or does anyone know what could be wrong.

Last edited:
i had an auto grand am years ago that did that too. i think it is because it rolls a little and settles into a foward gear and when you wanna go into reverse it clunks a little cuz of the pressure. i never had any tranny problems with that car though. as for this being a regular prob with the p5 i couldn't tell ya as i drive a standard.

wait... you're a nissan tech and you don't know how an auto tranny works or how much load you put on the lock paw when you park on a hill? :rolleyes:

yea i am but im sorta a floater to the master techs... still learning and i know about autos i just don't understand my problem because ive never had it before

if it helps yall my grand am didn't have an e brake... i bought it for 250 dollars...
the entire passanger side was rusted out (man that was a great car)

rodney said:
took off the E brake first

then you are putting load on the engine mounts, transmission, and the lock paw
didn't they teach you in driver's ed to put it in gear FIRST before releasing the e-brake?

also man you gotta not post the same thread 50 (mods maybe delete a few of the same post)times just post once and be patient. people will help you thats why we are all here.
p.s. thanks all for the hel pi have gotten since i joined early this year

it's ok... i think the man is right like i said before my old car never gave me any trouble...jst went "BANG" on occasion when i droped into reverse, and my assigned parking spot was on a small incline. so try it, put it in drive, then drop the e-brake, than reverse. see if it works! let us know

As long as you have your foot on the brake pedal, it shouldn't matter if you take the e-brake off before puting it into gear. But if you are taking the ebrake off, and THEN depressing the brake pedal and putting it into gear, then that's your problem.

im not doing that i do it exactly the way im suppose too , it just started to do this today and it has nothing to do with the e brake because when i let off the e brake and keep my foot on the brake and shift it from park to reverse it feels and sounds like it got stuck and then slamed into reverse

it just sounds like it gets stuck for a second and then jerks into reverse and the wierd thing is that it will only do it when i am inclined

Back