auto trans problem

ILMP5

Contributor
I took my 02 p5 to the dealer yesterday for a trans slipping problem they called me today for the bad news....the tranny needs to be replaced.(pissed) The gears are slipping between 2-3rd gear and 3-4th gear on steady cruising speed.

Since I am out of warranty (58,000miles) milage wise not time wise. Keep in mind I took my car in complaining of a rough shifting at 49,000 miles and they could not verify the problem. I also had a problem at 32,000 miles of a trans. leak which they fixed. I feel that the tranny with proper maintenance and regular driving habits wont break at 58K.

I spoke with the service manager for "goodwill" repairs on the tranny, he will let me know on Monday how the Mazda rep will handle my case.

Anybody out there have similar problems?? How did you handle it with your dealer? I need all the feedback I can get.

Thanks.
CT

my dealer has said that the automatic transmission on these cars are routinely on backorder. that tells me something right there.

Can someone give me a better description of what you mean by "slipping"? Because I have had something similar...wondering if I should bring it in for a look.

slipping means that out of the blue while you are driving on level grade and maintaining speed (not passing or slowing down) your tranny would downshift into lower gear and/or try to shift back up into higher gear with no success or with more than 1 try. possibly a loud bang might occur like metal hitting metal and you would feel that through the car as if somebody hit you all of a sudden. different people might feel different things.

Hmm...I have something where I am accelerating and the transmission...and its trying to shift up...but it doesn't at first...and soon after it does. But no loud bang. Just I can feel the "slippping." Is this a serious matter?

I was experiencing that same problem before all this happens. Good luck on your tranny dude.

jdm_mp5 said:
Hmm...I have something where I am accelerating and the transmission...and its trying to shift up...but it doesn't at first...and soon after it does. But no loud bang. Just I can feel the "slippping." Is this a serious matter?

Which dealer is that in IL?

Captain KRM P5 said:
my dealer has said that the automatic transmission on these cars are routinely on backorder. that tells me something right there.

Bass Addict said:
See if they can replace it with a manual, thats why I'm hoping mine will go out while its still in warranty. Lol.
i was gonna say that too...

will they actually do that?? i hope goes out too then, lol

anyways...im no help, sorry...

That tranny is fooked.... sorry to hear that. :(
If i was you i would send the whole tranny to www.lentechautomatics.com they can bulletproof it for around 2k... then just have AAMCO install it... probably will cost less than a new one anyways. btw it sounds like a combination of a valvebody problem and torque convertor. U might be able to get away with just a valvebody swap which lentech can provide for $400 w/ core...install is easy too cause the valvebody is on the bottom of the tranny very accessible...now the torque convertor is another story.... good luck

I've had this same thing happen a couple times now, but wasn't too sure what it was. Matter of fact it was just the other day that the car jolted as if someone hit me, but after seeing that no one was around I was left startled and puzzled.

I plan on taking it into the dealer, but since this only occurs from time to time how would they go about testing something like this?

My car is almost 1 1/2 yrs old with just over 10k miles on it. Is this something that I should look into now? What happens if the dealer says they can't find anything wrong with it?

Thanks in advance...

GuamGirL said:
I've had this same thing happen a couple times now, but wasn't too sure what it was. Matter of fact it was just the other day that the car jolted as if someone hit me, but after seeing that no one was around I was left startled and puzzled.

I plan on taking it into the dealer, but since this only occurs from time to time how would they go about testing something like this?

My car is almost 1 1/2 yrs old with just over 10k miles on it. Is this something that I should look into now? What happens if the dealer says they can't find anything wrong with it?

Thanks in advance...
that is exactly what's happens. perfect description. there is a JOLT when the tranny slips and your first reaction will be that somebody hit you but nobody (hopefully) will be around you or close enough to hit your car. it happened to me twice with my automatic over the last 3 years and that was my first reaction, that somebody hit me.

i never went to the dealership about it since there is no way they would see it or feel it since it was so rare.
but you should still take it, even if they can't duplicate it, it will be put into your car's maintenance history so you will have a better chance of getting them to fix it later on (since you had the problem before).
if lets say you are at 50,001 miles and the tranny goes you will have a better chance of having them fix it then if you didn't have gone in for the problem before.

dealers all suck monkye balls. I blew my trans 3x had my car at dealership 6x within pastmonth. and its being lemoned cause of it.

Well....

My dealer just called they said Mazda USA just called and gave them the auth to fix my car. I will probablly have it by Friday! (yippy) Sweeeet!!!!!!!!!!!

Mine has "slipped" twice, I figured it was something wrong with the transmission. Kind of interesting that the transmission would go on this car. I only have 20K and never drive hard.

So I heard its a very common problem with the p5's. My buddy had his tranny replaced twice with 20K. I was lucky to encounter this problem early enough to have Mazda goodwill warranty my tranny. They recommend changing the trans fluid every 30K so everybody is aware.

ILMP5 said:
So I heard its a very common problem with the p5's. My buddy had his tranny replaced twice with 20K. I was lucky to encounter this problem early enough to have Mazda goodwill warranty my tranny. They recommend changing the trans fluid every 30K so everybody is aware.

mdagost103 has about 12K miles on his P5, and his tranny blew again this weekend. It's either the 4th or 5th time.

There's a CRACK in the transmission visible when looking under the hood.

jersey_emt said:
mdagost103 has about 12K miles on his P5, and his tranny blew again this weekend. It's either the 4th or 5th time.

There's a CRACK in the transmission visible when looking under the hood.
ok, thats just ridiculous. i blame the driver if the tranny needs replaced 4 or 5 times by 12k miles.

in a related story, my tranny also slipped. time to take it in.

Back