auto industry bailout?

But this mentality needs to also cascade the rest of the market and other industries and even to the personal/individuals.

I can't ever recall such an unnecessary emphasis on short term returns while neglecting cash and a solid balance sheet to present (the company I work for is always looking at long term; we're sitting on a huge amount of cash and have increased dividends every quarter for the past 40 years).

For the automakers, it's all about the quarterly performance and when the fiscal year comes to a close, everyone's left holding the bag.

They need to let them go through bankruptcy (that's what the laws are there to do). I only hope that that's enough of a humbling experience for them to realize it can't be business as usual.

It would be a tough pill to swallow (especially for those who would lose jobs) but I agree. They need to change the way they do business and restructure and renegotiate compensations to be competitive. It's that or be but a footnote in the annals of history.

But this mentality needs to also cascade the rest of the market and other industries and even to the personal/individuals.

I can't ever recall such an unnecessary emphasis on short term returns while neglecting cash and a solid balance sheet to present (the company I work for is always looking at long term; we're sitting on a huge amount of cash and have increased dividends every quarter for the past 40 years).

For the automakers, it's all about the quarterly performance and when the fiscal year comes to a close, everyone's left holding the bag.

They need to let them go through bankruptcy (that's what the laws are there to do). I only hope that that's enough of a humbling experience for them to realize it can't be business as usual.

People like you and me are seldom ever allowed to run companies. Shareholders are too impatient, demanding nothing less than dot-com era stellar (yet unsustainable) returns.

Who do you work for? Maybe I can get a job there :)

Back