Auto-dim rear view mirror dealer install

:
2006 Honda Civic Coupe EX
Hi,

I am planning on purchasing a 2014 Mazda 3 S Touring. It does not have the auto-dim mirror as standard equipment. Is it worth to get it installed at the dealer? I was told that they would have to remove the headliner for the wiring and stuff. If anyone has had any experience with a dealership, their response would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I installed it myself and it wasn't that hard. You do not need to remove the headliner but you do need to remove the driver's side A pillar to connect the wiring.

Why don't you take the chance and upgrade it to Homelink also, unless you don't need it.
Homelink needs a constant 12v, and auto-dimming uses a switched 12v.
Both are available inside the kick panel next to the footrest. Hence, you need to run wires down the A-pillar trim.
Instructions from Mazda are usually very clear.

Thanks NOBODY and ceric. Based on you guys making it a DIY project, Do you think a dealer should charge labor for the job if I am buying the car from him?

Dealers will charge between $100 and $200 for this installation and if you are buying the car, it is always negotiable. I just upgraded my mirror in my sGT from auto-dim to Homelink as it is not offered as a Mazda option so I had to look to another vendor. If anyone wants my existing Mazda auto-dim mirror, let me know, but you'll need a harness unless you are comfortable with custom wiring.

Thanks rvoll. I would be interested in the Auto-dim mirror once I finalize the purchase of the Mazda. How much would you sell the mirror for? I could possibly negotiate the install into the purchase price. Would the dealer have the wiring harness?

No, no, no.
If you want certain accessories, look for a Mazda3 with them on already.
You should be paying close to invoice nowadays. That means these accessories are also purchased at invoice price w/o labor cost!!!
If you do them after purchase, they become expensive.
Unless, you convince the dealer you buy from to install them free of charge, and pay invoice for the accessories also, though not installed yet.

The problem is that if you want it with special accessories, the car usually has to be ordered since the only way to get a deal on installation is if it is done at the factory or the port. When it is done at the dealer, you'll probably get charged unless you can negotiate with them. If you're willing to wait 4 months for the car, then your way works.

I do not want to wait for 4 months and there is no car in the area with the mirror pre-installed either in the factory or at port. A lot of cars have the wheels locks, and all-weather mats included, but thats about it.

Mazda does not have any specials on the 3 currently. Do you think the dealer would negotiate a better price in December or I should wait until early January?

Back