Audio upgrade time

jaymode

I think I am finally going to have the money to upgrade the sound system in the car. Right now, I am satisfied with the head unit; never had any problems out of mine. The sub on the other hand has to go. I have already replaced it 3 tims and this one maybe two months old and is about to go on stock settings.

I need some recommendations on a good 10 or 12 inch sub and amp. I want something that will hit pretty hard. I was thinking around 300 watts rms. Also, how much insulating has to be done in the trunk for it not to rattle very bad.

Since I am going to pushing more power out of the sub, I was thinking about using the stock amp to power the front speakers to get better mid sound. Is this a good idea? I have seen that other people have done it but not sure how good it will work.

I am trying to do this right but also not spend a lot as I am still in school, so cheaper is better definitely under 400 if possible.

jaymode said:
I think I am finally going to have the money to upgrade the sound system in the car. Right now, I am satisfied with the head unit; never had any problems out of mine. The sub on the other hand has to go. I have already replaced it 3 tims and this one maybe two months old and is about to go on stock settings.

I need some recommendations on a good 10 or 12 inch sub and amp. I want something that will hit pretty hard. I was thinking around 300 watts rms. Also, how much insulating has to be done in the trunk for it not to rattle very bad.

Since I am going to pushing more power out of the sub, I was thinking about using the stock amp to power the front speakers to get better mid sound. Is this a good idea? I have seen that other people have done it but not sure how good it will work.

I am trying to do this right but also not spend a lot as I am still in school, so cheaper is better definitely under 400 if possible.

Honestly i would save and do it right, as in get a mono or two channel amp for the sub, and a 4 channel for your speakers. Just shop around, I have infinity mono amp, on a mtx thunder sub, and a 4 channel alpine amp on stock speakers and headunit.

The other thing, is cables. Your gonna spend money on equipment but cables are the main thing people forget and they are not cheap. You can almost spend as much in cables as you do on one amp. You just have to plan, find hook ups and shop.

I hooked the stock amp to my front speakers and it sounds great. They have alot more power in them. I also put two 12's in my trunk and it rattled like crazy. I had to intall a complete kit of dynomat to stop it. It all sounds awsome now.

zzMSP03.5 said:
Honestly i would save and do it right, as in get a mono or two channel amp for the sub, and a 4 channel for your speakers. Just shop around, I have infinity mono amp, on a mtx thunder sub, and a 4 channel alpine amp on stock speakers and headunit.

The other thing, is cables. Your gonna spend money on equipment but cables are the main thing people forget and they are not cheap. You can almost spend as much in cables as you do on one amp. You just have to plan, find hook ups and shop.

If I stayed with stock speakers and did the 4 channel amp, what am I looking for in terms of wattage and other stuff?

The stock MSP speakers are good for about 25-50w RMS from an external amplifier. A nice combination would be a Alpine MRP-F250 for 4x40w to your speakers and a Alpine MRP-M450 for 1x400w for a 400w subwoofer or a pair of 200w subwoofers. But that is going to run you $400 just for the amps. Add in subwoofers and wiring and you're looking at $600-800.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with sending your front speakers more power than your rears. You could keep the factory amp for fronts, continue to power the rears off the head unit, and buy a new sub and amp for bass.

A quick example of this would be the Alpine MRP-M450 with a single Alpine Type-R SWR-1242D subwoofer. You'll also need a wiring kit ($30-50) and a box ($60-100).

chuyler1 said:
The stock MSP speakers are good for about 25-50w RMS from an external amplifier. A nice combination would be a Alpine MRP-F250 for 4x40w to your speakers and a Alpine MRP-M450 for 1x400w for a 400w subwoofer or a pair of 200w subwoofers. But that is going to run you $400 just for the amps. Add in subwoofers and wiring and you're looking at $600-800.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with sending your front speakers more power than your rears. You could keep the factory amp for fronts, continue to power the rears off the head unit, and buy a new sub and amp for bass.

A quick example of this would be the Alpine MRP-M450 with a single Alpine Type-R SWR-1242D subwoofer. You'll also need a wiring kit ($30-50) and a box ($60-100).

Thanks for the advice. I am gonna do some more research. But I really think I would like to go with an amp powering the speaker. If I got with something like the first setup you listed, would I be looking at needing a 1F cap or a better alternator? I am already going to go to an Optima battery as my original battery tested low today.

Capacitors have been discussed to death. Do a search. In short, a battery upgrade will be fine. If your lights dim, turn the volume down.

Back