ATX to MTX swap list???

:
03.5 YLW MSP
I'm trying to come up with a full atx to mtx swap parts list. I'm trying to figure out a rough cost on what i would cost for me to do such a thing. I have a friend who's a mech thats willing to do this for me if I get all the parts for him. So far I have the below list. Can anyone else think of anything I may need to add to the list.

1. Shifter plate
2. Shifter
3. Clutch Master Cylinder ($30-$85 car-parts.com)
4. Fluid Lines
5. MTX Transmission ($500-$1.5K car-parts.com)
6. Clutch
7. Fly Wheel
8. MTX ECU
9. MTX Tranny Harness
10. Clutch Pedal
11. Brake Pedal
12. MTX drive shafts (not sure)
13. Shifter cable
14. Flex Plate
15. rear mounting bracket for motor mount.

I'm not sure if I can reuse the stock atx drive shafts or not. Also any links would be helpful to.

Thanks,
Stealth.

Last edited:
im in the middle of doing this swap right now. i can give u a list of parts once im all done.

Thank you Naoto! Do you see anything right off hand that im missing? Also what years are interchangeable on the proteges? 99-2003?

I'm guessing 99-03 because they are all the bj platform.

Last edited:
Thank you Naoto! Do you see anything right off hand that im missing? Also what years are interchangeable on the proteges? 2002-2003?

protegefaq.net

Find which cars had the G15M-R and the FS block (so the bell housing should be the same) and you'll be set.

You might need the MTX main bearing support plate. Gonna need a new starter for MTX and bolts for all the stupid s*** there is also another harness in the engine bay that connects to the starter and other connections on the MTX.

Gonna need the metal gasket that goes inbetween the tranny and engine.

I think the shifter plate and shifter and everything shifter related is all together as 1 part. atleast thats how its sold from the dealer

There really isn't a clutch master cylinder. The clutch slave cylinder gets bolted onto the other side of the clutch pedal assemble and a tube from the brake master cylinder feeds the clutch slave cylinder.

You will 100% need the drive shafts from an MTX car since they aren't the same either.

The brake pedal is not needed to do this swap you can keep your original fat ATX pedal, but if you have a fat left foot you might hit it when you clutch in. 2 pedals are really close together.

Also you might need MTX engine side mounts and the rear mount.
when i did my swap i went ahead and swapped out the engine mounts.
I had TheMan (author or Protege FAQ) at my swap assisting me with gathering parts and makin sure i had everything i needed.

Right now I am using the transmission out of a '99 626 its not the G15M-R but the previous revision before that i think. mounts right up and works.

Here is my list that i compiled and PM to various people that ask me

MTX regular protege, or msp axles
Transmission
try to get one out of an 03.5 for upgraded forks i think. its upgraded something
clutch upgrade here
flywheel possible upgrade if you're going to n/a, turbo you might wanna think about it.
manual ecu (i was told by igdrasil that if you leave the auto ecu in the car will still work but you will get a blinking tranny light and your speedo won't work) the car should still work without it
manual engine wiring harness (you can hack into your existing harness and splice in the pins for the tranny sensors i.e. speedo gear) also try to get a regular manual protege, not an mp3 it is missing vtcs and cruise control, msp will not have cruise) car should still work without it
Manual starter engine harness there's a seperate harness that goes from the main fuse box thingy to the starter. it also has the connectors for the speedo sensor on it. so you'll need it if you want speedo
shifter
linkage
that piece where the ball of the shifter sits
i think its a whole little ball joint assembly type thing. you'll have to look
shifter bushings just get kartboy
clutch pedal assembly
fluid line from master cyl and slave cyl
steel line from slave cyl to clutch line
clutch line
just get some SS braided
manual engine mount side mounts both sides the engine is actually moved over to the drivers side a little in manuals
rear motor mount bracket on manual tranny
brake pedal its not as wide as the atx one
you might as well upgrade to AWR motor mounts and possibly get the side mount inserts.

mtx main bearing support plate bottom of the engine. it has a spot for 1 transmission bolt on it. can possibly go without it. I rebuilt my engine at the same time so i just popped it on.

you still will need misc gaskets and bolts that go inbetween all the things and s***.

thats all you need to make it work. for looks you need the center console piece, shifter boot, plastic base off stock boot, and knob.

You will need to rewire the main starter wire from the dash harness to the ecu harness in the cabin to get it to start since they use different slots in the connector.

Also your reverse lights and speedo won't work without rewiring. I still haven't done it yet.

The ATX Dash harness has 2 connectors that don't match up to the MTX engine harness so you will need to cut off the connectors on the ATX engine harness and resolder them onto the MTX engine harness inorder to get your gauge cluster working. I am unsure if my ODBII port works. So you might lose your ODBII port funtionality. I haven't checked yet since my Haltech resets it everytime. You will fail emmisions if your port doesn't work.

i think thats it... if something is missing its really small

Last edited:
If I purchased the dash wiring harness for pretty much the same ar as mine but in a 5 spd would it pretty much just be a plug and play deal saying tha I managed to come across the engien bay harness as well? Would it plug right into the rest of the wiring into the car....

I've never tore down a car before well at least not to the point that to examine the harness differences or to see if they have plug in connectors. I can get the dash harness for roughly 150-250 on car-parts.com

I imagine that it would be plug and play but you can't be sure really. dude you don't wanna change the dash harness. You'd have to pull off your whole dashboard, and remove all the HVAC stuff to get to the harness. Its easier just to rewire.

You will have to be careful because MTX has a clutch safety switch so you can't start the car unless the clutch is in. The ATX dash harness will not have this and the car should just try to start when you turn the key. Pirana rewired some of the things under there with the ignition for me so I don't really know first hand.

I am on the fence, I want to put a KLZE in my car. I have a MX-3 harness, And Tranny, And ECU.. Do I really need to get a MTX ecu for the protege as well? do I need anything for the underdash wiring?

me and a couple of guys from the forum did this swap on my p5 i took pics of harness modifications and such the only problem we had was that we were unable to get the cruise to work other than that i was able to wire up every thing else from using the atx harness ill try to get the pix up asap

I am on the fence, I want to put a KLZE in my car. I have a MX-3 harness, And Tranny, And ECU.. Do I really need to get a MTX ecu for the protege as well? do I need anything for the underdash wiring?

You won't need a protege ecu with a KLZE. Isn't the KLZE ODBI? That will be ALOT of work

Latest posts

Back