Attention All Mazdaspeed3 Owners

TankerCA

If you own a 2007 Mazdaspeed3 with the 2.3L turbo motor with the 6 speed trans, could you please let me know if this vehicle is worth buying?? I am in the market of finding a new car and I have looked at this vehicle. I would like to know of any major issues with the car and personal experiences with the car before decide to purchase this or not. I greatly appreciate it. Thanks everyone!!

Based on my experience with an early 2007 build, I'd buy a 2008 or later. I had the turbo, the VVT actuator, and a front strut replaced under warranty. I later had to replace the EGR and rear shocks after the warranty expired. The shocks/struts are not all that great from the get-go so in any event count on replacing them(most owners have gone with either Koni Yellows, Koni FSDs, or Bilstein Sports). It's really not a bad car but I didn't expect so many problems.

Thank you for the feedback. How long have you had the MS3? Do you still have it and also, what went wrong with the turbo, VVt act., and strut?? Sorry for all the questions, Just seeing if it is really going to be worth it. Been looking at newer models too but no one is selling near me.

If you do a search on any of those problems you will find tons of information about them. I have a 2008 that I've had for 3.5 year and 86000 miles. I've had no problems with it and love it, I've been extremely pleased with how fun it is to drive and very practical.

Wife and I own a 2007 MS3. Only thing we had done was have the VVT replaced under warranty. We are now at 70k plus and all is perfect. Don't really know if anything else was replaced before we purchased it but we got it with 19K on the ODO. Has been a very reliable car and we both love it. I guess it all depends on how you treat and take care of your car.

Thank you for the feedback. How long have you had the MS3? Do you still have it and also, what went wrong with the turbo, VVt act., and strut?? Sorry for all the questions, Just seeing if it is really going to be worth it. Been looking at newer models too but no one is selling near me.

I've had my 2007 since new. It's now at 91,000 miles and I still have it, primarily because it gets 27 mpg, it hasn't required any repairs in the past 20,000 miles, and it makes a fairly decent work/snow car. I also enjoy not carrying any consumer debt. The turbo started smoking at idle, the VVT made a loud grinding noise on the first cold start of the day, and the strut began to clunk and rattle. I have maintained the car according to Mazda's severe service schedule using synthetic oil in both the engine and transaxle.

I agree with m compact, I would stick to a little newer model. I have an 09 only for 12k miles tho but no issues yet. That being said most issues with the 07s have been fixed so it can go both ways really.

Own a '08 MS3 GT and find it an absolute blast. No issues since I've owned it and I'm the 2nd owner. I smile every morning I walk out to it. No regrets here.

If you own a 2007 Mazdaspeed3 with the 2.3L turbo motor with the 6 speed trans, could you please let me know if this vehicle is worth buying?? I am in the market of finding a new car and I have looked at this vehicle. I would like to know of any major issues with the car and personal experiences with the car before decide to purchase this or not. I greatly appreciate it. Thanks everyone!!

I have one, but its an automatic, my experiences may not apply

Jokester.

Did you also get stuck with the 2.0L turbo instead of the 2.3? ;)

Jokester,

The car has the 2.3L, not the 2.0L.

All,
I also called the local Mazda dealer to find out about the recalls on the car and they said that both recalls have been taken care of and they also informed me about the warranty extension on the turbo, VVT and timing chain. I asked them about the car and they told me that the car is really reliable. The biggest problems they have seen come from the vehicles that people have modified with aftermarket parts. They also said that it goes through tires pretty quickly as well. I have no intentions of throwing parts at the car and have had turbo vehicles in the past and know how they act and the amount of care that goes into them. I think DarkAngel stated it best and it all depends on how you take care of your car. I currently own a Lexus IS300 and baby the car for the most part, I have a little fun now and then. I appreciate all the feedback from everyone and I have been looking for an 08 model and have had no luck. I have seen some but it involve a lot of driving for me just to go and look at it.

Is anyone running anything other than high test fuel in their car? I know turbo cars like the high test but, i have made mid-grade work as well. Does anyone have any feedback on this?

If you like little pieces of metal falling out of the bottom of your engine by all means save a few bucks and run regular gas!

Is anyone running anything other than high test fuel in their car? I know turbo cars like the high test but, i have made mid-grade work as well. Does anyone have any feedback on this?

Any grade of fuel will work. The higher the octane rating the more resistant that fuel is to engine knock. On a car like the MS3 with VVT it will not harm the engine to run a lower grade of fuel than what is recommended. If the ECU senses knock the timing will be retarded to cope with the lower grade of fuel. This will be at the cost of overall power, but will not harm the engine as Russm suggests.

to the original poster just stay out of boost for the most part when running less than premium fuel,install a boost guage to see how much and where the boost start coming in.

2009 owner, the cars a beast but she's had quite a few check-ups thanks to the previous owner who beat her senseless. none the less it was all covered by mazda, she's literally a new car. VVT was the only issue....and haters.

Any grade of fuel will work. The higher the octane rating the more resistant that fuel is to engine knock. On a car like the MS3 with VVT it will not harm the engine to run a lower grade of fuel than what is recommended. If the ECU senses knock the timing will be retarded to cope with the lower grade of fuel. This will be at the cost of overall power, but will not harm the engine as Russm suggests.

Really? You advise people that it's OK to run 87 in their speed. If you can't afford to run super then you can't afford this car.

Latest posts

Back