ATF change video ...

Use Google translator. It works, even on the dialogue.

His CX-5 has 13,000km on it. He must be bored and wants to take risks.

The ATF topics have already been addressed, have they not? Mazda manu'd them not to be messed with, EVER, unless absolutely necessary.

I used translate 'build in' within comments.

I find it very nice for illustration purposes especially about the filter piece.

13,000 kilometers = 8,000 miles. Seems a little excessive to me.

I'm not expecting shavings in my tranny fluid. And I'm not touching this fluid.

Use Google translator. It works, even on the dialogue.

His CX-5 has 13,000km on it. He must be bored and wants to take risks.

The ATF topics have already been addressed, have they not? Mazda manu'd them not to be messed with, EVER, unless absolutely necessary.

Incorrect. Drain and fill to restore viscosity is a recommended procedure. A drain and fill drains about 4 quarts of 12.. What they don't advise is trying to bleed the entire system.

The word "shavings" is a bit extreme. There is probably very very very small specks of metal from the parts wearing in.

Recommended by whom/where??

Firstly, that video, in which he removes the pan (and I wasn't agreeing with this type of draining) is not the standard procedure for a drain and fill (just like you wouldn't typically remove the oil pan to do a oil change). The standard procedure is to remove a plug, the same as the oil plug. Removing the pan requires cleaning and reapplying sealant which if your handiwork is poor/improper could lead to leaks.

I couldn't find anything about it in the owner manual, only the service manual. Only transfer case/rear diff are mentioned in the owners manual. Generally speaking, I certainly don't and wouldn't post something that is risky or without merit. I'm trying to keep people from being shafted by marketing and technicalities. Doesn't mean your transmission won't be fine, but I would like to think that most of the users here do not believe for a minute that any oil synthetic or otherwise will not breakdown over time. If you (maybe not you specifically) want to trust in a "lifetime" fill, I then ask this: what is "lifetime"? 60,000 miles? 120,000 miles? forever? Do you believe the oil (or any oil being used anywhere) will last forever? Consider that a mechanic (if you don't check your own fluids) probably won't check it either. Oils break down over time..the vapors from heating are even vented out of a tube (which becomes sludgy and should be wiped periodically). Lifetime rarely means forever when you are talking about goods. It's vague and imo it's more like a useful life. Well, I could see how omitting cheap preventative maintenance could contribute to end of useful life. I guess it comes down more to how long you plan to keep a vehicle, your attitude on preventative maintenance, and/or how much you are willing to spend on it (I'm sure you can spot on your daily commute many drivers who's late model cars look like crap, smell like gas, or are burning oil, broken down etc.. usually the leave it alone until something breaks type), your driving environment among other things.
Half rant aside, if you guys want to do yourself a small service google something like "cars with lifetime ATF" and you can get good examples of why you shouldn't trust your $ to that statement. Keep in mind the mazda procedure is simply a drain and fill (you can ONLY get about 4 quarts max the rest will not drain) .. this is to remove small metallic that doesn't get the magnet and mainly restore viscosity. Once you start shaving your transmission your downhill. This is just one of many examples.. http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1064342/page1

Last edited:
Back