At a Hault Need some ideas

xixpro73gexix

:
1999 Mazda Protege Lx
Hey everyone, sooo im basically done with exterior modifications although this is my daily driver, its also like an amature show car since i will take it to small meets here and there. theres not much left besides maybe an aero package(wind splitter, canards etc.), hids, carbonfiber tail lights(ordering soon) and a carbonfiber trunk lid. Front driver lambo doors(YES OR NO?)
2011-02-17_14-17-51_546.jpg

But now my main focus is on saving money for performance, now of course i have done the basic performance ad ons(some suspension work, exhaust, air intake, upgraded electrical system, header(ordered dont know when ill install) new silicone lines, upgraded radiator), but i cant really find anymore small add ons for the 1.6L engine, eventually i will get to adding a turbo system either by the end of the summer or next winter, but as for now i want to get some quick addons that i can pick up here and there when i have the money.
SO any suggestions or places i can find these parts online will be very greatful!! OK I DONT WANT TO HEAR, do an engine swap(i dont have that kind of money or time considering im in college), or why would you want to turbo a 1.6l protege? or go buy something faster, or go read other posts(im researching through stuff). I LOVE MY CAR and just wanna make it somewhat faster, its got the looks but kind of lacking in the speed haha

Last edited:
pepdamazdas has a nice header for sale, if i'm not mistaken, it's already heat wrapped and i have the same as his (not wrapped) and it feels quicker. plus, it weighs like...nothing. lol. seriously, the stock mani is soooo freaking heavy it's not even funny. the aftermarket one was held on by my lil 10yr old cuzin while i matched the holes and if it weighed in at 3 lbs it was too much. the stock one weighs like 30? i'm not sure. but it's heavy as all hell.

btw: BAD ASS BODY KIT! where did you get it? i dig the front end. :)

thanks man, umm the body kits is known as the buddy club 2 body kit(i hate the name of it, but thats the manufacturer) and i bought it from their site, when i bought the full kit, it was 550.

It looks like a BC2 (as mentioned above) body kit but it looks like its meant for a 02-03 protege hence the poor looking fitment at the head lights. As far as go fast bits dont waste your money on NA crap if you want to go FI. Most of the NA crap will just add sound which more then likely will be replaced if you go FI.

pepdamazdas has a nice header for sale, if i'm not mistaken, it's already heat wrapped.

I bought his header so he doesn't have it anymore.

I must agree with StealthWyvern in that if you plan on going turbo down the line it would be best to save the money you were going to spend on the NA motor (i.e. header and intake).

That being said if you still want to buy some goodies for under the hood for the bling factor you can go with a Simota Intake and an OBX 1.6L header that you can source from eBay. You could also just polish up your heat shield like I did for some extra shine.

You could also do some motor mount inserts, an SLS Midpipe, and a cat back exhaust. The motor mounts and exhaust from a 1.8L/2.0L will fit on the 1.6L. My inserts are for a 2.0L and my exhaust is for an MP3 and I've had no fitment issues.

If you're serious about turboing your engine read Biknman's thread. Also look at my 4 sale thread as I have some flanges that you would need to create your turbo manifold, and some other turbo goodies.

ah ok cool cool, yeah what i end up doing is i buy stuff in groups i was able to buy the obx header at the time and i just havent installed it yet. but yeah im savin for the turbo now, thanks for the ideas!

Back