Army?

Hmmm is this for me? A recreuiter called me today. I know there are a few members that are in the armed forces such as Lang, Mike, Stacey, 8k, so on. I have never been in ROTC or any sort. Is this a good part time job and they said they will pay for my college? Whats the difference between Army Reserve, National Guard, Air Guard? are they practically the same. BTW the Army Reserve sergeant called me if that helps with any info that can be provided.

Last edited:
The reserves are actually part of the US, while the National Gaurd are funded by your state. (more or less, but your still in the army) The Air National Gaurd is the same way, along with the Air Force reserves.

Dependent on what you pay into your GI bill will determine what you get for school benefits. IMHO, reserves are great, and alot of people will retire from there, but you do have to remember you cannot miss any drills or your annual training. The money is not really great until your about 3 years in the reserves.

One thing I will say is about 60% of people who enter the reesrves will eventually decide to go on active duty. IMHO, Active duty is much better then reserves, unless your really looking for some disipline, and help with school.

ONE THING TO KEEP IN MIND, YOU CAN AND MORE THEN LIKELY WILL GET CALLED UP TO ACTIVE DUTY TO DEFEND YOUR COUNTRIES FREEDOMS. DO NOT LOOK AT RESERVES AS SOMETHING TO KILL SOME TIME OR GET FREE SCHOOL, IT IS FIRST AND FOREMOST YOUR DECISION TO ENTER AND YOU NEED TO BE WILLING TO ACCEPT THE FEACT THAT YOU CAN BE CALLED TO ACTIVE DUTY. (sorry just ranting because of some stupid chick at work that is shunning her responsability ot go on acitve duty like she has been called to do)

Well, since I'm the one who's up I'll shoot from the hip here and try to answersome of your questions even though I'm a squid.

The Army Reserve is exactly what the name implies. It is a unit of the Army that is kept in reserve status. It draws it's enlisted from the area local to where the unit is based out of. They still classify as weekend warriors in the effect that they drill one weekend out of every month and then two weeks in the summer. In theory they are more likely to be deployed than a National Guard unit.

The Army National Guard is basically the same idea, but with one key difference. The National Guard dates back to the idea of the Militia. They actually belong to the state where they are located. Thus the reason they used to be called the Hawaii National Guard, Illinois National Guard, etc. In theory their primary job is the defense of their state. Because of this the Governor of the State issues their marching orders. In the National Guard you are likely to see jobs such as mobilization following a natural disaster to keep order, enforce curfews... generally backing up the police. However, times have changed. Since the end of the cold war and the reduction in Defense spending the US has become much more dependent on its national guard units. They are commonly deployed in the event of war now. It is much cheaper to maintain and operate both guard and reserve units because you don't have to pay for their room/board/etc.

The Air National Guard is the same concept. Defends the skies of the state. But, are also commonly deployed. However, I believe you have to serve a minimum time as active duty air force before you can join the air guard. I could be wrong about that though.

Air Force and Navy reserve both require you to have been active duty prior to becoming a reservist. This is mainly because many of the jobs are so technical the service members need to have worked in the job for years or their would be no point. I know I couldn't do my job if I was only given training once a month and two weeks in the summer.

As for college. Don't get terms confused here. ROTC is Recruit Officer Training Command or some such thing. It is where you go to college paid for 100% by the government. Then when you get out you are obligated to go serve as an officer in the military for, I believe, six years. Oh and we don't give much respect to ROTC brats. Academy Grads like Chris (8k) are completly different. They did their dirt.

Now, what I think you are thinking of is the GI Bill. You enlist say for instance the Army Reserve. For the first 12 mos. your in you pay like $100 out of your Army paycheck to the GI Bill. After that you get like $52,000 for college (so long as you are enrolled in like 8 semester hours or something). Actually, I think it might be up to like $60,000 for college.

It's a pretty good deal. But keep in mind this. Even if it is $60,000 that isn't necessarily going to pay for all of your college. (But, it's a hell of a big help.) You are also limited to what Universities you can use it at. Mostly, state universities. But the biggie, is your ass is not yours anymore. It's Govt. property. THat means you are limited as to where you can get a tattoo, how long your hair can be, you can't grow a beard (but that's not really true), etc. What it really means though is that you're half way through a semester and life is good and all of the sudden the Pentagon says activate that reserve unit in Hawaii. Bye, bye. You drop all of your classes and you deploy. No arguments or nothing.

Not trying to scare you off or anything. Just telling it how it is. It is a good deal, but it comes with sacrafices.

boostisgood said:
ONE THING TO KEEP IN MIND, YOU CAN AND MORE THEN LIKELY WILL GET CALLED UP TO ACTIVE DUTY TO DEFEND YOUR COUNTRIES FREEDOMS. DO NOT LOOK AT RESERVES AS SOMETHING TO KILL SOME TIME OR GET FREE SCHOOL, IT IS FIRST AND FOREMOST YOUR DECISION TO ENTER AND YOU NEED TO BE WILLING TO ACCEPT THE FEACT THAT YOU CAN BE CALLED TO ACTIVE DUTY. (sorry just ranting because of some stupid chick at work that is shunning her responsability ot go on acitve duty like she has been called to do)
That ain't no s***. You remember that b**** at the start of Desert Storm who actually went to jail because she refused to deploy. Her quote was somthing like "I only joined to get money for school. I never thought I would have to deploy. I am agaist war." Makes me mad! (argh)

you are thinking of joining your nations army in a time of war. to think you wont be deployed would be wrong and selfish. every major division has deployed troops in the army, so you wouldnt by any means be exempt. im not trying to scare you off, but i hate when people join the army just for college money - i would rather not have them.

search for my thread "new job" and read the thread. i posted a LOT of benefits about joining the army that im not going to retype.

if you've ever taken the ASVAB or similar then the U.S. military has your name on their records, LOL.

as my marine friend put it (and this is him quoting so don't flame me), go into the air force if you want the benefits and pampering, go into the marines if you want a life changing experience. LOL

i've got a lot of former co-workers and friends getting activated status. iraq and afghanistan here they come. support the troops (thumb)

Last edited:
Hey Speed, I am currently active duty in the Coast Guard and I was in the Air Force Reserve for 6 years before that. Kinda regret doing the reserve thing cuz it seemed like a waste of time for me. In order for me to retire with the CG I still have to do 20 years Active Duty. My pay will be for 27 years total though. I also did the college thing and have a degree but haven't used it to my advantage with the military. I found out what being an Officer is all about and didn't like what I saw. Anyways something to think about before you decide on the reserve thing. BTW I love being in the Guard and have a killer job flyin and working on airplanes. Lots of benefits you just can't get in the civilian world also. Good luck!!-Stacy

I have been in the Virginia Army National Guard for 9 yrs now. I will say that in my first two years I wanted to go active duty. But I ended up sicking to my plan and staying in the National Guard. I also did one year in the Reserves. I have been on two active duty tours in the past 3 years. Both missions have been in the states and local. But my unit is still split up. We are deploying one group to Afganistan and one group is in Iraq right now. The other guy was right, you need to know that the reserves and guard is not just a weekend thing anymore to pay for college. Also you can miss a weekend or a/t if you get your commanders okay. Some National Guards are ran differently but most are the same as far as the college beni's. Most state's run like this: You apply for fed payment for school and they will pay 75% of the cost. The state will pick up the other 25% of the cost. This is good for you because you dont have to pay for anything but books and you drill check can cover that. I got the GI Bill as a bonus but I havent touched it. If I get out of the guard I can then use the GI Bill but it would be a waste to us it now. This is one of the differences between the Guard and the reserves. You would have to keep with your State to see what they have to offer. Just look at where you are in your life and where you want to be and look at all your options. This is the biggest mistake that people make when they look into the service. Most people only look into one branch and either active or reserves. And if I had to do it all over again as sure that alot of people would say I would have gone into the Air Force! The Air Force treats there people great and the jobs they have to offer are awesome. Score well on the asvab and we'll have it made. If you got any more questions or anything just shot me a PM or AIM.

thanks guys for being so helpful. so air force is probably the best? my uncle used to be an airplane mechanic but hes in the army now in afghanistan.

Yes, the Air Force kills all the other branches on Quality of Life (QOL) polls every year. I think the Navy usually takes last since many of us still live on the ships even when in home port. Army housing is the worst according to the surveys with the Navy running a close second.

What it boils down to is that the Army is the largest of the armed forces and the Navy is the second largest. The Air Force is smaller and because of that they address more of the morale and QOL issues.

Yeah buddy, if you need any info for the army side of it, hit me up at the next meet or the ATI cruise. I know a decent bit about our versions of the programs. I can give the low down, and (unlike Lang) I don't feel like typing it out.

And Lang, ROTC = Reserve Officers Training Corps = Allegedly being in the military, spending Uncle Sam's bucks on booze

The officer side of the house is a whole 'nother ball game, but I also know the basic enlisted deal for ARNG and Reserves (though it sounds like Lang is on the ball).

We need people now, thats for sure. Speaking of which, Lang, are they trying to suck you into that Blue to Green program? Or is that for lower enlisted only? I saw we're trying to steal around 10k of you.

chris

OIC, Reserve not Recruit. Like I said or some such thing.

As for the Blue to Green program. I'm still commited to the blue side for another four years or so. So, they won't be asking me about that for a while. It's a good idea though, cause you guys are in need and we're cutting like crazy. One thing for sure if I did come over my job would be a hell of a lot easier. Only one type of communications to worry about.

i think i did well on my asvab... i'm going to college right now but i have no clue on what i'm majoring in or what i want to do with my life :(

i was in rotc in highs chool... i didnt like what i saw so i left after 1 year, it was for credit and it wasnt the real thing, but when i saw what my possibly future officers could be... ha, whatever... it was naval rotc... actually spent a week on base in norfolk... carriers r teh big...

and if u join the ******* army and get a call to be ******* deployed u better go... thats bs on those girls... wtf... im assuming once u join u take ur vows... i take that s*** seriously, i made some sort of commitment when i went into rotc and stuck with it, but **** that, shoot them if they arnt gonna go, thats considered disobeying orders as far as im concerned and putting other peopes life in danger (cuz if they dont go the units 1 short and that one difference could save a life or two)

One more thing: I hate to say it, but DON'T listen to a recruiter. They need numbers and will tell you what you want to hear. Ask one of us who is in; we can usually give you the straight answer, and if we don't know it, we know the people who do.

Just a bit of advice . . . recruiting is the hardest job in the army, and those who excel generally aren't upfront about everything.

chris

What part of Afghainstan is your Uncle in since I am currently deployed in Afghanistan with the Army.

You're there now? I have a plt about of Combat Engineers that's getting deployed within the next couple of months. Any advice that I can pass on to them?

Back