Are you getting the 430 miles range claimed by Mazda after filling up?

The estimated Distance to Empty figure will vary considerably depending upon driving style and driving conditions in the miles before the tank was filled.
That's because the trip computer uses your actual recent MPG to estimate your remaining range.

When I fill up it generally estimates I have anywhere between 380 and 495 miles remaining.

i have a 2014 awd and mine always says 355......

I'm driving a 2.5L with AWD and the best I've done is 435 miles on a tank but then my wife can see the gauge on the CX-5 which she couldn't on the CX-7 and she doesn't like it getting that low. Plus I think that day we were heading across the Pinelands and the next station was probably 10 miles.

man...you drive 45 on the freeway? draft after prius? the best i saw was 400 ish, but not all empty, driving 60-65mph, is not 2.2TDI is it?
You both have the 2.0L w/6 speed man. I'm impressed with the MPG some are getting with the manual! More power to you.

Pt00323i, I don't think iced theater has mud flaps and lowering springs so that could partly explain the difference in efficiency. I know a lot of people assume lowering springs will automatically give better MPG but that's not always the case for a couple of reasons:

Modern cars with faired bellies are very sensitive (aerodynamically speaking) to chassis attitude. The angle of the under carriage is carefully tuned to avoid excessive drag and it takes a surprisingly small change to noticeably change Hwy mpg. Some spring kits lower one end more than the other which can end up actually increasing drag.

The other factor is rolling resistance. If a car is lowered it changes the chassis geometry and, if not corrected, this can increase tire friction with the pavement leading to slightly higher fuel consumption.

man...you drive 45 on the freeway? draft after prius? the best i saw was 400 ish, but not all empty, driving 60-65mph, is not 2.2TDI is it?

65 mph actually. I keep my tires inflated to 40 psi, shift at 2500 rpm or less most of the time, no jack rabbit starts/stops. I don't draft, though it would help most days as I end up driving home towards a fairly strong headwind. Not much traffic problems in a town of 12,000 people either.

A most of my miles are around town and very little it any highways driving, my MPG is really low, really really low... (cryhard)

65 mph actually. I keep my tires inflated to 40 psi, shift at 2500 rpm or less most of the time, no jack rabbit starts/stops. I don't draft, though it would help most days as I end up driving home towards a fairly strong headwind. Not much traffic problems in a town of 12,000 people either.

man I want your motor, maybe yours is broken in better than mine :(

as for prev. common on lower springs, yes I did do the alignment after, I didn't notice any change between mud flaps, lowering etc, is all how you drive. I did see one tank at 38mpg, but nothing like iced_theater, that is like diesel efficiency, very nice! I've been keeping the pressure at 36-38 maybe I'll increase and try.

I have the Sport 6MT also and just went 461 miles 2 weeks ago and filled up 12.85 gallons (35.9 mpg). I just filled up again today and the "miles remaining" said 481 as I left the gas station

Full tank shows 550km remaining. 2014 2.5 AWD

I get about 500km per 50L. That is around 22-24mpg. 50/50 city /hwy

600 range when i filled up earlier. previous 130 mile trip gave 61.5mpg so that why the range is so high. I've had 650 before now! - that's going to take some repeating as I'm driving faster now.

Just filled up range showed 380 :D too much city driving for us, poor thing hardly sees any good highway action.

We all seem to be seeing different "remaining to empty" numbers. I was seeing like 334-335 since I got the car and then this week it showed 355..... there has got to be something wrong especially seei g as the difference between the 2013s and 2014s is give or take 2 mpg.

We all seem to be seeing different "remaining to empty" numbers. I was seeing like 334-335 since I got the car and then this week it showed 355..... there has got to be something wrong especially seei g as the difference between the 2013s and 2014s is give or take 2 mpg.

In part it has to do with the gas you are using. Exxon 87 should give you the best mileage according to this study: http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/lo...investigation-best-brands-of-gas-for-your-car

Note that it seems the remaining to empty is somewhat based on your previous tank fuel economies so this is normal. Also, note that some of the numbers you are seeing mentioned are from overseas members who have the higher compression ratio gas and the higher fuel economy diesels.

Latest posts

Back