are there any disadvantages/problems with having a downpipe?

:
03 MSP > 03.5 MSP > 05 Evo8 GSR > 10 EvoX MR-t > 96 MX-5
got mine installed about a month ago

aside from me polluting the air, is there anything else i should worry about?

heh, you can contribute to killing the deer population with all the polution, which, in your case, is not a disadvantage:p

the extra acceleration could result in a semi-permanent grin affixed to your face... but other than that, as long as the welds on it are good, and its made of a good guage of SS then it'll last forever

Last edited:
lol @ dreeza - good one!

oh and ryan, i KNEW there was something wrong with my face

I don't think the smile is the only thing wrong with it!

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

.. What kinda downpipe y'get? Just curious. I'm thinkin' that a downpipe is gonna be the next thing on my list -- so I'm startin' to poke around, seein' what kinds are out there, and what people think of the ones they've purchased.

And I have a question, bein' the turbo newb I am .. I'm out in Central PA, where we don't CURRENTLY have emissions. But now there's word floatin' around that they may put them into effect. So if I do get a downpipe, and it turns out I have to pass emissions inspection .. what's the best idea for how t'pull that off? Just throw on a muffler and call it a day or what?

You'd need a cat to pass emissions......not a muff. LOL
I said muff.

Muff. Pssh. ;)

But, s***. So then is buyin' a downpipe a complete waste of time for me? :mad:

Just buy one with a hi-flow cat. or have someone make it for you. btw I see you have a fast car....what kind?? lol

BlkZoomZoom said:
btw I see you have a fast car....what kind?? lol

(rofl)

Yeah, well .. SORTA fast. I have a SORTA fast car! Maybe I should fix that in my sig, right?

Okay, so. Now that I got that down -- God, I hate the fact that I have to have a cat, grr -- but anyway .. Any suggestions on a good downpipe WITH a cat so that I can be emissions legal?

I know, my bad, I haven't done any research on this whatsoever. I'll slap myself a few times in compensation.

heres a good site www.makeyourown.com
lol
I bought mine from a member here, turboege......after seeing it in person I may be making a new down pipe though. Too many projects for me to be making the whole exhaust (rebuilding the motor in the scamp, bought another rx-7 (v-8 swap)), have to wait to get the speed back from the bodyshop to mock up a down pipe though.

jred,

I noticed that I spike to about 8-8.5psi now that I'm running with a catless DP at stock boost, which is exactly 7psi falling off to about 5.5psi at redline.

spiking is different though. creep is when your boost reaches the set level, then because the wastegate can't keep up with the exhaust flow it will get higher as the engine revs higher. dsm's suffer from it a lot on internally gated turbos, and when they go with a 3" exhaust (greater difference in pressure) some people get really bad creeps. just wondering if anyone has experienced this when going to 3" exhaust.
our s pipe might keep this from happening though, or a well designed o2 housing as a replacement to the s pipe could keep it from happening.

no creep

it is a Protosport Downpipe www.protosport.net
a friend of mine makes them

when u buy a downpipe u replace the stock pipe with cats. so when it comes to your smog check, just put the stock pipe back on. it doesnt take long, maybe 30 min or so.

What type of gains can you expect from a down pipe cause gt motorsports is making me a downpipe and then I am getting the apexi pigggy back fuel tunning they arwe going to tune my car on their dyno so I'm trying to figure out how much gain in hp I will get

22-25hp

but it's more if you're boosting more
i'm probably arround 30, but not sure
i'll dyno after christmas

Once again the Apexi SAFC doesnt work within the MAF sensors volt range. You have to play with resistors to make it function within the specified range.

I'm considering a 3in exhaust as well.
Has anyone had boost creep issues?

I know its giong to spike, but with a larger exhaust, how does that affect anyone with creeping up?

Back