are most kendwood h/u plug and play...

ND4MSP

for the mazdaspeed. just curious. And might another brand be applicable also. Minus a brand specific adapter, I am looking for a good h/u that will fit the stock location without any modification. Anyone have a new hu that they would recommend and is an easy install.

Also I didn't want to rule out the possibility of fixing my stocker myself. Does any one know the part # for the replacement ribbon that is known to go bad in the stock kendwood unit. Sorry in advance, I couldn't find a suitable thread to bump.

SHMENGIE said:
I have never heard of a "kendwood".....what is it?

pills to help non gen X'ers like you get wood when you try to get it on (encourage

ND4MSP said:
thanks much. How hard is the install?

its kinda detailed. You will have to take apart radio top. its 3 screws. Then the cd assembly, 4 screws. then unhook all the ribbon cables. 2 more screws and the motor unit is out. Undo the clip, and then rip the cover off. Its just glued so dont worry about it not going back on, it will. Undo 2 screws that hold the metal connector, then unsolder the connector with desolder bridge. Solder new ribbon cable and reverse install.

ND4MSP said:
for the mazdaspeed. just curious. And might another brand be applicable also. Minus a brand specific adapter, I am looking for a good h/u that will fit the stock location without any modification. Anyone have a new hu that they would recommend and is an easy install.

Also I didn't want to rule out the possibility of fixing my stocker myself. Does any one know the part # for the replacement ribbon that is known to go bad in the stock kendwood unit. Sorry in advance, I couldn't find a suitable thread to bump.

I just replaced my broken stock MSP deck with a Pioneer deh-p770mp. great deck, sounds really good. alot clearer and louder than the Kenwood. Install was easy. The stock Kenwood is connected using a Kenwood-to-stock Mazda harness. I unclipped that and used a new wiring harness (picked up at a local car audio store for $15). after connecting the Pioneer harness to the harness i bought, the only other wiring was to find a suitable ground and to use a wire tap to connect to the amp lead. oh and i had to replace the metal cage, the pioneer one doesn't fit in the kenwood cage.

cool thx. I ordered a new ribbon for the kenwood, so we will see how that goes. I was checking out a pioneer deck the other day. Might have been that one.

ND4MSP said:
cool thx. I ordered a new ribbon for the kenwood, so we will see how that goes. I was checking out a pioneer deck the other day. Might have been that one.

i've had 2 Pioneer decks before (3 if you count the DVD/LCD unit) and i definitely didn't like how the Kenwood sounded compared to the Pioneers. Even at the default settings, it was already clearer and louder than the Kenwood. i tweaked it a little and now it sounds good. the speakers could use some replacing too.....

Ok, I've got a new ribbon for my stock h/u. Does anyone have some tips for getting the stock h/u out? Do I need any special tools or would a coat hanger work. I did a little searching but only found results for protege es's and p5's. thanks

ND4MSP said:
Ok, I've got a new ribbon for my stock h/u. Does anyone have some tips for getting the stock h/u out? Do I need any special tools or would a coat hanger work. I did a little searching but only found results for protege es's and p5's. thanks

i guess you don't have the kenwood din tools.

i didn't either, so i used some slim butter knives. slid them into the side of the headunit until you hear it click. at this point, i already took out the HVAC panel (i didn't want to get it scratched) so i just reached behind and pushed it from the back.

thanks. How high or low in the side of the unit did you feel the tabs? I.e. left side lower, and right higher. Were feeling around in there but no real luck.

ND4MSP said:
thanks. How high or low in the side of the unit did you feel the tabs? I.e. left side lower, and right higher. Were feeling around in there but no real luck.

nope, right in the middle. you should be able to feel it click a little.

Latest posts

Back