Are Manual 2016's still offered???

silverevo05

:
Mazda CX 5 2.0 Manual
I've been looking to get into a manual 2016 but there are none within a 250 mile radius of me here in Socal.

I went to the OC auto show and spoke with a rep which was not knowledgeable in anything, so I am asking anyone if there are any new shipments or how to find out, of manual Silver CX 5. I know these are not in high demand BUT they are great to lure in customers with an advertisement of the low entry pirce to a CX 5

Thanks

Of course they're available. There are two within 50 miles of me. The dealers don't order them because they don't sell and the price differential is not enough to push buyers into them. That would be even more the case in SoCal I would imagine. You'll have to be willing to travel to get one (I flew from NorCal to San Diego to get my CX-5 in 2012 and drove it 600 miles home!) or special order one.

Of course they're available. There are two within 50 miles of me.

I'm not convinced low demand for manuals fully accounts for the lack of availability, have you heard of any manuals selling for significantly below MSRP? I haven't. Profit per vehicle probably plays into availability, there is much more profit when you can tack 4-8K onto the price and include the (admittedly excellent) AT and a few inexpensive toys. The manual is a bargain (if you can find one otherwise equipped suitably).

This is MT availability in my area:
Within 50 miles
28 CX-5
0 MT
Within 250 miles
955 CX-5
6 MT

<tbody>
</tbody>

That's less than 1 in a hundred (1 in 160) are manuals. I would think if they were equally available (in proportion to demand) you might see 1 in 25 buy a MT (or over 6 times as many stocked). But that would hurt profit/vehicle. Mazda is trying to steer buyers to the more loaded versions. That's why the MT is not available with many of the options that are widely available on higher trim levels.

I would like to see a special "Sport" FWD model with the 2.0L engine, MT-6, suspension tuned slightly more firm, leather seats, leather steering wheel, upgraded headlights, no sunroof, basic stereo, 17" wheels, manual parking brake, 40/20/40 rear seat, and all the other features that currently come on the lowest trim level. The MSRP would be $23,900. You would basically be paying $1300 more for some leather, headlights, more versatile cargo carrying and sportier suspension tune. Yet you would get a very light car with a great balance of handling/performance/economy and a measure of style/durability with the leather seats. Mazda would make more per car vs. regular stripped down Sport model and they would have a car that more people actually wanted (vs. stripped Sport) and yet could still justify due to the low price/fun/utility factor. By making lots of these available in tasteful colors, they would broaden their market for CX-5's. Unfortunately, they also might cannibalize sales of higher margin CX-3's. In the end, it's all about getting the most margin on their sales.

Yep!
2016 FWD Sport MT within 50mi: 1/158
2016 FWD Sport MT within 100mi: 1/373
2016 FWD Sport MT within 150mi: 4/712

The Mazda dealers around here have many more AWD CX-5s on the lot.
2016 FWD Sport AT w/in 50mi: 1/158
2016 AWD Sport AT w/in 50mi: 14/158
2016 FWD Touring AT w/in 50mi: 4/158
2016 FWD Grand Touring w/in 50mi: 1/158

When I was looking there was only one manual within 250 miles of me. I really wanted a stick, but the smaller engine turned me off. Never got to drive one though.

I would like to see a special "Sport" FWD model with the 2.0L engine, MT-6, suspension tuned slightly more firm, leather seats, leather steering wheel, upgraded headlights, no sunroof, basic stereo, 17" wheels, manual parking brake, 40/20/40 rear seat, and all the other features that currently come on the lowest trim level. The MSRP would be $23,900. You would basically be paying $1300 more for some leather, headlights, more versatile cargo carrying and sportier suspension tune. Yet you would get a very light car with a great balance of handling/performance/economy and a measure of style/durability with the leather seats. Mazda would make more per car vs. regular stripped down Sport model and they would have a car that more people actually wanted (vs. stripped Sport) and yet could still justify due to the low price/fun/utility factor. By making lots of these available in tasteful colors, they would broaden their market for CX-5's. Unfortunately, they also might cannibalize sales of higher margin CX-3's. In the end, it's all about getting the most margin on their sales.

Agree on most of those points. I was a holdout for three years, waiting for a better-optioned manual-equipped CX-5. I bought last month, and I have concluded:

• The 2.0L is fine with the manual, no lack of driving enjoyment there
  • The seats are comfortable enough, I am debating on treating myself to Katzkin's at some point
  • Headlights are fine for my needs
  • The fold-flat seats would really be helpful, this thing is supposed to provide utility (even my base Escape XLS manual has fold-flat seats)
  • What really perturbs me is the audio system. Had I known Mazda changed plugs and I couldn't immediately go aftermarket, I would have waited or considered a '15. For that reason, I am still driving my old Escape primarily and the Mazda is parked most of the week. Sounds superficial of me, but I like simple vehicles with good audio for my long commute.

Even without the seat upgrade, I think I will really enjoy the vehicle once I get the audio straightened out. I cannot figure out why Mazda punishes manual-tranny consumers by omitting the backup camera and audio upgrades on the manual Sport, whereas the auto Sport offers an upgrade.

^ This

I have no issue paying extra for the ammenities that the lower model AT offers like the 40 20 40 seats. Unfortunately this is not an option. I know there are still a few die hard Manual transmission guys such as myself. I completely enjoy my manual transmission Scion XB where I can engine brake to my hearts desire but am so bored in my wife's AT car.

There are very few options (i.e. subaru forester, Scion iM) for a manual transmission/hatchback type design and I really like the looks of the CX 5 but the iM is not bad either

I'm in no rush, my little B runs great and does the job, I've just had it for 10yrs and it's approaching 60k miles and I think it's time for a change..

I would love if they offered the 2.5 with a manual! It was a hard decision for me to get an auto put I'm happy with it. If at some point they decide to offer the GT trim with 2.5 manual I will be the first in line at the dealership for the trade in on the current one. Sadly I don't see that happening. Manual cars are a dying breed in the us. I don't even think bmw makes the 3 series with stick anymore.

I've been looking to get into a manual 2016 but there are none within a 250 mile radius of me here in Socal.
You can always ask your dealer using its computer system to check the inventory at Mazda's port of entry in LA, and everything on the boat coming to the US. This is a huge inventory you can check and it takes a lot less time to get an exact CX-5 you want than a special order from factory, especially for the person in SoCal. In my case it took only 23 days getting a CX-5 we special ordered in this way shipped directly to our dealer.

I would love if they offered the 2.5 with a manual! It was a hard decision for me to get an auto put I'm happy with it. If at some point they decide to offer the GT trim with 2.5 manual I will be the first in line at the dealership for the trade in on the current one. Sadly I don't see that happening. Manual cars are a dying breed in the us. I don't even think bmw makes the 3 series with stick anymore.
Or if you're willing to settle for a 4-door sedan - Mazda6 Sport and Touring both offer SkyActiv-MT 6-Speed manual transmission with SA-G 2.5L!

I went to the OC auto show and spoke with a rep which was not knowledgeable in anything, so I am asking anyone if there are any new shipments or how to find out, of manual Silver CX 5. I know these are not in high demand BUT they are great to lure in customers with an advertisement of the low entry pirce to a CX 5

Thanks

I'm seeing 19 CX-5's with the 6MT within 250 mi of LA.
When using the mazdausa tool make sure you're looking at the 2016's (there are 0 2015's available)

Would love to have tried the 2.5L in MT.

Car search is very simple here.

255 CX-5 for sale, 238 are AWD

71 MT
184 AT

119 petrol
34 are 2.5L
85 are 2.0L

136 diesels
48 150ps
87 175ps

Within 200 miles of there are 45 with MT

I have no issue paying extra for the ammenities that the lower model AT offers like the 40 20 40 seats. Unfortunately this is not an option. I know there are still a few die hard Manual transmission guys such as myself. I completely enjoy my manual transmission Scion XB where I can engine brake to my hearts desire but am so bored in my wife's AT car.

I'd guess you start seeing fewer options on manual transmission cars because automakers are looking to cut costs where ever they can on vehicles where the manual transmission has a low take rate. With development, testing, and certification costs factored in, in vehicles with low manual transmission take rates, it probably costs the automaker more money per unit to sell the manual transmission than it does the automatic, even if the manual transmission is cheaper to manufacture.

Then there's the issue that in the US, we're not the ones buying the cars directly from Mazda, the dealers are. As such, the dealers want whatever vehicles they can sell to a broad swath of consumers, which is not going to be manual transmission vehicles unless we're talking sports cars. Dealer profit margins on new car sales are slim enough these days without worrying about eating interest on oddball vehicles sitting on the lot deep into the next model year.

I'd also throw in that automatics are a lot better these days. Shifting is generally smoother, and we're no longer comparing 5 speed manuals to 3 and 4 speed automatics, so fuel economy is generally a wash between the two. Automatics also don't generally need rebuilds as often as they used to, provided they don't have a design flaw (say, failing second gears in early 2000s V6 Hondas) or maintenance hasn't been neglected (particularly for VW DSGs).

Then there's the issue that in the US, we're not the ones buying the cars directly from Mazda, the dealers are. As such, the dealers want whatever vehicles they can sell to a broad swath of consumers, which is not going to be manual transmission vehicles unless we're talking sports cars. Dealer profit margins on new car sales are slim enough these days without worrying about eating interest on oddball vehicles sitting on the lot deep into the next model year.

Speaking for myself and the other CX-5 MT-6 owners I know of, we bought them because we like manual transmissions, not because we wanted a cheap vehicle. Granted, I'm not a big fan of silly gadgets, but I prefer premium audio and upscale interior materials. I only bought the CX-5 because it was offered with a manual. I would have preferred more options however.

Not all who like to shift manually want or need a sports car.

I agree that most people buying manuals these days buy them because they like them, not because they're cheapskates. Until I picked up the CX-5 a month ago, the only vehicles I drove were my manual-only 2008 Mazdaspeed3 GT and my 1997 Miata M-Edition (also manual).

The problem is, without those cheapskates buying manuals in greater numbers, it's difficult for automakers to rationalize offering manuals in wide variety of trim levels. When trim levels vary enough (the weight of giant moonroofs, bigger wheels, fancier stereos, and assorted electronic gizmos can add up quickly), emissions certifications and fuel economy ratings may need to be redone, or stated at a lower number to account for the overall lower average. To not do so is to risk a Hyundai/Kia style fuel economy scandal. When the take rate for manuals is less than 5%, it gets difficult to justify the funding for manual transmissions. Especially when even fewer people would be willing to pay extra for a manual transmission vehicle to help amortize those development costs.

The lack of manual transmissions in all but stripper trim CUVs doesn't surprise me. CUVs are basically midsize sedan replacements for many people, and I don't think any of them offer manual transmissions in the bigger engine models anymore. The Accord and Mazda6 are pretty much the only ones left offering manual transmissions in higher than base trims, and the Accord no longer offers a V6 manual in anything but coupes.

When the take rate for manuals is less than 5%, it gets difficult to justify the funding for manual transmissions. Especially when even fewer people would be willing to pay extra for a manual transmission vehicle to help amortize those development costs.

I wouldn't worry about development costs of manual transmissions not being able to be justified - manuals account for roughly half the sales worldwide.

If we had vehicle standards harmonization with Europe, that would be a good point.

But we don't, so automakers have to make vehicles to meet slightly different standards. EPA emissions and fuel economy testing protocols and standards vary from the EU standards. Some things I like better the EU way (my Miata's DOT headlamps were horrible compared to Hella E-Codes). OTOH, the EU combined cycle fuel economy test allowed for crazy cheating like different tires, disconnecting alternators, and taping body seams for a long time.

Its better up here in Canada if you want a CX-5 with a manual ,you can get the Convenience package which includes alloy wheels, 6inch screen (2013-2015 models), steering wheel controls, tinted back windows. The dealer also installed fog lights for a small fee.
I also upgraded my speakers to polk and infinity speakers and installed a back up camera. Im very happy with all my features now.

Last edited:
Back