Anyone take the finish off Factory Wheels?

I would like to get them chromed or just take the finish off. Thoughts please, thanks.

View attachment 308356
I never gave the OEM rims much thought. Shortly after buying my 6, I bought some used 19” chrome wheels and never looked back.

Due to my own lack of attention, I curb rashed two of them. So, when time came for new tires, I went ahead and bit the bullet for new rims. No regrets. Love the contrast of the car’s color against those new chrome wheels.

Attachments

• C7E309F5-B018-47F3-BD8B-422A3EEA11D6.jpeg
    C7E309F5-B018-47F3-BD8B-422A3EEA11D6.jpeg
    189.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 99339417-59EF-4819-98AC-950122C12C31.jpeg
    99339417-59EF-4819-98AC-950122C12C31.jpeg
    235.7 KB · Views: 70
You don't *have* to clear coat them, but if you don't, you'll have to polish them pretty regularly. Luckily, after the initial polish, which is fairly labor intensive, the follow ups aren't nearly as hard.
No you don't *have* to but.......

Guess you never owned a polished tunnel ram. :ROFLMAO:

Polished aluminum (even that mirror like finish) starts to loose its luster very quickly and on a daily driven vehicle in different working conditions, like washing the car, :LOL: rain, snow even a hot summer day takes it toll on polished alloys.

VHT WHEEL CLEAR COAT will not only keep your hard work polished but will also give added protection to the wheels finish itself from small impacts.

Its a a simple thing do . I think anyone that has polished one wheel knows exactly what I am talking about. And the MAZDA wheel is a complicated casting unlike say a ET slotted MAG. :ROFLMAO:

This is one of my wheels on another ride of mine. In 2003 I bought a limited edition set of wheels. Then later at Laguna Seca I had a tire blowout and went off the track damaging cosmetically the wheel. The wheel was discontinued, and no one had one for sale anywhere in the world. So, I had a wheel shop repair the damage however they could not match the machined finish that came with the wheel to match the other 3. I took the time and meticulously hand polished all the wheels. And then masked and powder-coated the inside ribbing. After which I applied a clear coat. The second picture below was taken the other day to post here on this forum on another thread. But the point is you can polish alloy wheel DIY and clear coating last for years and retains the shine and luster.
Oh and the center large RED nut I had hard anodized.

Year 2003 then and Now April 2022

IMG_20220417_084119899_2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220415_090256380_2.jpg
    IMG_20220415_090256380_2.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 69
This is one of my wheels on another ride of mine. In 2003 I bought a limited edition set of wheels. Then later at Laguna Seca I had a tire blowout and went off the track damaging cosmetically the wheel. The wheel was discontinued, and no one had one for sale anywhere in the world. So, I had a wheel shop repair the damage however they could not match the machined finish that came with the wheel to match the other 3. I took the time and meticulously hand polished all the wheels. And then masked and powder-coated the inside ribbing. After which I applied a clear coat. The second picture below was taken the other day to post here on this forum on another thread. But the point is you can polish alloy wheel DIY and clear coating last for years and retains the shine and luster.

View attachment 309135
Difference in night & day. It never occurred to me to spray a clear coat on the wheels to preserve the finish. Nicely done!

View attachment 309135
Nice thanks 👍🏾

Back