Anyone running higher than 87?

:
'16.5 JBM CX-5 AWD GT tech, '19 Veloster N
Just wondering if anyone has tried stepping up a notch or two to 89 or 91 (particularly in the 2.5l) and if so did you see/feel any difference either in power or econ?
Thinking about feeding it some 89 just to see but its still not broken in so my results probably not terribly conclusive- but its only a 10c jump at the station I frequent. Opinions welcome but I'm really after actual experiences/data- Thanks!

I put 91 in after having an o2 sensor issue that kept it at the dealer for a while. Economy is not worth the jump, so far not noticeable, and power it is hard to say because my loaner was a 2.0 and that transition happening with the new tank has me thinking it is way more responsive..but I doubt it makes a difference. I may go 91 like every 3/4 tanks just to run it through.

OK. Unless your engine needs a higher octane do not waste your $$. The octane only affects the detonation at higher compression. So, if your engine calls dir 87 then putting anything higher will have no effect on anything.
Unless you are experiencing predetonation for some reason do not put higher octane gas in your car.

It is not cleaner
It is not better
It will not provide any performance gains

OK. Unless your engine needs a higher octane do not waste your $$. The octane only affects the detonation at higher compression. So, if your engine calls dir 87 then putting anything higher will have no effect on anything.
Unless you are experiencing predetonation for some reason do not put higher octane gas in your car.

It is not cleaner
It is not better
It will not provide any performance gains

This

From consumer reports:

Paying for premium gas can be a waste of money

Many people use premium gasoline in the belief that it's better for engines than regular. That can be a costly mistake, especially during times of high fuel prices. Octane grades don't represent a "good, better, best" choice; they simply measure the resistance of fuel to knocking or pinging, a condition in which gasoline burns uncontrollably in the engine's combustion chambers. Knocking and pinging can damage an engine.

While high-octane formulations resist knocking better than lower octanes, most engines are designed to take regular gas, which has an octane rating of about 87. Engines requiring premium gas are typically the more powerful ones found in sports and luxury vehicles. Those engines use a very high compression ratio, making them more vulnerable to knocking, so recommended fuels have octane ratings of 91 or higher. Using premium gas in an engine designed to run on regular doesn't improve performance.

Some engines for which premium gasoline is recommended can run on regular without problems. That's because the engine's knock-sensor system detects the presence of uncontrolled burning in the chambers. When it does, the engine's computer-control system retards engine timing, eliminating the knock but slightly reducing power. If you don't mind giving up some performance, you can run these engines on less-expensive regular gasoline. To check whether your engine is capable of running on regular gas, read your owner's manual or ask your dealership's service department.

Sourced from:
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/01/paying-for-premium-gas-can-be-a-waste-of-money/index.htm

I know its not cleaner/better but this is a high compression engine (13:1 I believe) so I thought there could be some benefit(s) to be had in this case.

I know its not cleaner/better but this is a high compression engine (13:1 I believe) so I thought there could be some benefit(s) to be had in this case.
Then Mazda would have spec'd a higher octane. They did not.

Yeah they dialed it down to 13:1 so us tightwads can run the cheap stuff safely. A business decision based on its direct competition and our sensitivity to rising fuel costs. That's what many people reply when I talk diesel- yeah it gets better mileage but the fuel costs more I say yeah but not 20-30% more!

Last edited:
It's not that the potential for benefit isn't there...
It is that Mazda has the ECU mapped in such a way that there will be no benefit.

The only plus to plus fuels that comes to mind, is the increased additive/detergent content. Of course, that benefit is arguable in this application, because the fuel never sees the intake valves in our engine.

Don't waste your time unless you're going to reprogram your ECU to take advantage of the higher octane. In some cases higher octane gasolines can actually make you lose performance since they burn slower, but I doubt you could measure that easily without some crazy lab tools. Don't buy the premium gas unless you're going to tweak your timing to gain anything from it. :)

The only plus to plus fuels that comes to mind, is the increased additive/detergent content. Of course, that benefit is arguable in this application, because the fuel never sees the intake valves in our engine.

This is why I was told once to run plus every 5 tanks or so, not for economy or performance. What is the technical reason the fuel doesn't see the valves? The compression? Sorry for asking dumb questions, I don't know much about non electric motors.....

This is why I was told once to run plus every 5 tanks or so, not for economy or performance. What is the technical reason the fuel doesn't see the valves? The compression? Sorry for asking dumb questions, I don't know much about non electric motors.....

Direct injection. Fuel is sprayed directly into the combustion chamber rather than into the intake port, so the intake valve isn't getting sprayed with fuel every cycle.

--

As for the original question.. Aside from all the myths associated with premium fuel, why would you put premium into this engine? Mazda did all sorts of fancy engineering tricks to avoid running these things on premium.

I won't put 93 or even 91 as I agree an engine designed to run on regular probably doesn't even "want" those and almost definitely would not be worth the cost, but I may try some 89 if its only a dime or so jump in price and just see how she does. If I don't see/feel any benefit at all I'll go back to reg.

Slight correction- you're using the lowest allowable octane fuel recommended by Mazda

Slight correction- you're using the lowest allowable octane fuel recommended by Mazda

Yes, exactly the fuel recommended, as US versions of gasoline 2.0L and 2.5L engines were designed to be run on. Referring to Mazda-supplied owners manual, not clowns at dealership.

Back