Anyone run 115mm GM rims?

RABID_MP5

:
2002 Protege5
I know you'd also have to get some hub rings down to 67.1mm too, plus a decent offset, but is 114.3 close enough to 115? I've heard it both ways. And it might be smaller wheels on a bigger pattern vs. the opposite might work or not. Just getting some snows ready for winter.

Well I Googled this extensively, and looks like it's just not worth the risk on this. Stories of broken studs and loostening lug nuts. Yeah they'll almost certainly fit onto the studs. But since the GM bore is like 70.3mm you'd also have extra stress if you didn't buy hub ring reducers.
I was looking for a bunch of guys to say "hey no problem", but I haven't heard that here either. So guess this one's a No.

Coming from the GM world, the 5x115 bolt pattern is so close to being right for these cars, but really, like you said, there are too many risks involved. I saw guys on Impalas running 5x114.3 bolt patterns and they had reported broken studs and loose lugs from time to time. Not really a good situation if you ask me. I'd rather have something that fits right. Maybe with hub centric rings you'd be OK going with the 115 patern, as it's bigger, but I know that 114.3 on a 115 hub causes extra stress on the studs that will cause failure of one or multiple studs at some point.

.7 of a mm? Actually, .35 of a mm on each end. I don't see how that could even be noticed. I doubt the studs are even that perfect in the first place. I'd just do it. As far as the bore goes, I just took a grinder to the bore on my Ford wheels and everything is fine and I don't think anybody could put anymore stress on their car than I do.

Attachments

• P1060325.JPG
    P1060325.JPG
    246.3 KB · Views: 136
.7 of a mm? Actually, .35 of a mm on each end. I don't see how that could even be noticed. I doubt the studs are even that perfect in the first place. I'd just do it. As far as the bore goes, I just took a grinder to the bore on my Ford wheels and everything is fine and I don't think anybody could put anymore stress on their car than I do.

a grinder? oh dear...

.35 mm off center on a stud experiencing 100 ft lbs of ROTATIONAL force.... multiply that by the thread pitch for say a 2000 lb static load, then, put on a 140hp rotational load, and a 1500lb dynamic lateral load... even with the dynamic loads spread over 5 studs, if you're off center at ALL you're just asking for trouble. without getting the stud holes remachined, professionally, I wouldn't dream of it. I also, for the record, wouldn't take a grinder to wheels to make the hubcentric fit...

well on another case I saw I could get the proper 114.3 and offset, but the hub size was 66.1 fm a Nissan. Just 1mm, or .5mm of metal to remove. I did contemplate putting something course on a brake cylinder hone and bring 'em just out enough to test fit on the hubs, retaining the centering pretty well I'd think. Ended up not buying them, tho wondered if anyone ever tried this.

people machine wheels out fairly often.... as long as you get it done professionally and keep it round you'll be fine.

a grinder? oh dear...

.35 mm off center on a stud experiencing 100 ft lbs of ROTATIONAL force.... multiply that by the thread pitch for say a 2000 lb static load, then, put on a 140hp rotational load, and a 1500lb dynamic lateral load... even with the dynamic loads spread over 5 studs, if you're off center at ALL you're just asking for trouble. without getting the stud holes remachined, professionally, I wouldn't dream of it. I also, for the record, wouldn't take a grinder to wheels to make the hubcentric fit...

I did. it's works perfectly. So what you wouldn't dream of, I do with no problems. Sometimes you have to just try things and not listen to everbody's inexperienced thoughts.

Back