Anyone fit 8 inch wide rims?

Dave Mac

:
2006 Evo RS
I'm curious to see if anyone has fit 16x8's with say 245/45-16's. I searched but did not find anything on the forums. I'd like to set up my MSP to run in STX (SCCA Solo Class) and would like to fit as much meat up front as possible. Anyone manage this?

I'm already planning on KW Coilovers, camber plates, big rear bar, trailing links and lateral links. Maybe air and fuel management to go with the single cat exhaust and AEM intake. (cheers)

Dave

i think u could probably fit 16x8 but i think the 245's wont. i don remember but i think the biggest people have put are 235's

Thanks Black Protege 5 :devil:

Anyone know what offset would work. (sorry I a newbie to MSP)

Dave Mac

I found Rota's that are 16x8 with a 48+ offset. I was thinking of running 245/45 ZR16 in FK 451's. These are the same type of tire that Tom Hoppe used to win STX a couple years ago. The OD of the tire is only 24.6 inches, which I believe is shorter than the stock diameter of the stock tires on the MSP. Due to the fact that the tire and rim are shorter i believe we could fit them. If you wanted to you could run the 245's up front and maybe 225's or 215's in the rear to aid rotation (if it is needed).

Dave Mac

you could always roll your fenders...time to bust out the baseball bat!

The 245/45/16 will fit, a 16x8 will fit. The 48mm should fit, but not with the factory struts. The KW's are smaller in diameter due to the size of the spring, so you should be fine. This is the setup I will be running this year, except not with the KWs.

BTW the AEM intake is not STX legal because it requires relocating the radiator overflow bottle which is considered to be "modification of the chassis or structure of the car." You cannot perform a non-legal mod to allow a legal one. If you are not running Nationals this year, it probably won't matter, but you will get protested at National events.

Trailing links are specifically disallowed by the new rules. It is pretty clear.

Camber plates are nice, but I am running -2.7 degrees camber in the front with camber bolts. You could get more if you ran them in the upper and lower holes.

Given the stiffer springs, I don't think you will rub, but you may need to roll the fenders depending how low you go. "Slammed" is not necessarily the best for racing. If you actually corner weight the car, you probably won't be low enough to rub badly.

Britt

Britt-

Is there a CAI that IS legal for STX? I looked and it seems like you could run a more straight intake tube and have it enter under the front of the crash structure that the AEM enters from the top. I'll have to look closer this next week and see what is possible if there is not off-the-shelf remedy. Upon reviewing the ST* rules I don't believe the AEM is illegal. (I could be off my rocker here but please indulge my arguement) There is no modification to the chassis or structure. The bottle is NOT part of the structure nor chassis. It attaches to it but is not "part" of it. It is of no harm nor benefit to the cooling system to move the overflow tank. Did anyone ask Doug G. of the SEB or whatever he is on?

I forgot about the whole trailing link thing not being legal (thanks for saving me some $$) I guess it's bushing's or nuttin'.

I am contemplating purchasing the KSport coilovers to use. I think they should fit with the 16x8 setup. Anyone have any experience with the KSports? Good-Bad-Indifferent?

Dave Mac

Last edited:
The overflow bottle issue was clarified several months ago with another car. The SEb specifically decided that it was in fact part os the structure of the car, since structure does not mean strictly the metal structure, but the entire complete structure (assembly) that is the car. The only STX legal "CAI" would be the AutoExe one that draws from behind the headlight. But those are stupidly expensive. If someone had one to send to DGM, maybe they could do one cheaply. I have a guy that could do them for about $200 each.

Britt

Thanks for the clarification Britt. We looked at the intake tract today and I'm ordering some samco elbows and aluminum tubing to see if we can rig something up.

Dave Mac

Just FYI the 3rd gen RX7 has 16x8 wheels with a +50 offset that are lightweight (14-15 lbs) and the correct bolt pattern and can be found cheap if you look. If the +50 would work that might be an option.

RX8 wheels are 18x8 and the largest tire that will work is 225/35/18...and that's after rolling fenders.

I just got a quote on the Rota 16x8's. $550.00 shipped to my door! Sounds like a good price to me.

Dave Mac

chuyler1 said:
RX8 wheels are 18x8 and the largest tire that will work is 225/35/18...and that's after rolling fenders.

RX8's fit 18X8 because they have CRAZY high offset like the factory MSP wheels. If they were +48... good luck. SOme serious fender rolling would be needed.

Dave Mac said:
I just got a quote on the Rota 16x8's. $550.00 shipped to my door! Sounds like a good price to me.

Not bad let me know how they fit I have been thinking abot getting some 16X8's for daily driver rims.

You asked about k sports so...

They are pretty good on the street. I haven't autoX with them yet, but definately have plenty of bite for a spritied drive. The included camber adjustment is nice, however there are downsides to them. They only come in a regular protege trim which means the stock end links from the MSP won't fit, however AWR has adjustables that do. Secondly, they only allow adjustability of rebound/compression simultaniously. IE, adjustments are not mutually exclusive. Other than that, they are a blast. They aren't the best pieces ever, but certainly a quality, full coilover.

Back