Anyone find a good cargo organizer storage system?

backpackerx

:
2014 CX-5 Touring w/Tech
This one from Mazda Australia looks awesome but I can't find anyone that carries it.
YouTube link

I'm looking for a box or bar or something that is good for keeping grocery bags and other small to medium size objects secure while going around corners without tossing everything around.

How well do each of these do with securing heavy grocery bags and maybe a full bottle of wiper fluid? Also, are they collapsible so luggage or others the items can be stored on top of them or do they fold up easily to put big cargo I'm the trunk? Thanks for the replies.

Last edited:
The Hopkins unit will do all that you're asking, fits neatly behind the second seat and you can fold the netting forward and out of the way for placement of large items in the rear. I use it primarily for groceries and to throw small-medium sized packages into so they won't roll around. I have the Mazda cargo mat under it so sliding on that gummy rubber is not an issue.

Thanks, good find. I figured this would be an expensive way to go and with the exchange rate and shipping I'm thinking the Rola 59001 listed in the second link from Robertmazda is the way I'll probably go. The Mazda system is pretty slick, especially the collapsible box.

I purchased this Mazda cargo area organiser (here in Australia). It's a very good product, appears to be made in Germany for Mazda, but has a couple of drawbacks.
1. In Australia, this package is very expensive, around $800.00. I notice on the U.K web link above, it would only cost a couple of hundred pounds!
2. It has to be ordered as separate components, (a) The base board, (b) the cross rail, (c) the foldable basket (if required).
3. The base board replaces the original Mazda cargo base board, and it is quite heavy, made from thick chipboard. Could be a little awkward if you have to get the spare tyre out of the boot.
4. From my experience, it requires a small piece of circular polystyrene foam pushed into the channel on either side to stop it rubbing and squeaking on the plastic wheel archers either side.
5. It also requires a rubber stopper behind the fabric loop used to raise the base, as the loop material also squeaks when it rubs on the plastic cargo surround.
But it is a very nice support if you wish to stop your shopping flying around or wedge boxes in the boot.

i really wish north america could have purchase access to the boot/trunk/cargo room storage system. since we don't, this has suited my needs thus far:
ry%3D480

it's an office depot folding crate($25) with collapsible handle and two wheels secured by adjustable bungees and s-biners. it's not heavy duty but has done the job quite well. i've used it for groceries and rolling stuff around. the bungee on either side is also used for securing luggage bags, garden hoses, large bags and other items. the box has held my headrests, quick detailer & rags, blankets, groceries, jackets and other various items. at the time of the picture, all of that was in the box.

i can collapse it and lay it flat and maybe even put the oem cargo net to keep that from shifting around.

edited to add:
i thought it was $17, it appears to be $25(changed above to reflect that). you can find something similar at amazon or elsewhere.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/987304/Office-Depot-Brand-Mobile-Folding-File/

adjustable bungees on either side of the box also holds round items and odd-shaped items. i sometimes add a folding heavy duty magna cart dolly(from amazon) which is securely held by the bungees at the same time.

Last edited:
I'm 3000 miles away from my CX5, can you measure something for me?

I'm in Oakland, CA for a few days and want to kill some time shopping for the CX5 while I'm here. I want to get some adjustable bungy cords for the cargo area, and don't know the measurements between the cargo hooks. Can somebody measure the distance between them for me?

Front to back?
Side to side?
Diagonal?

Thanks in advance.

NEVERMIND , I WILL BE HOME LATER TODAY ON 3/5/13

Last edited:
I just bought that one. The reviews that talk about a bad smell are from 2-3 years ago and recent reviews don't mention smell. It didn't have a bad smell when mine just came in. The bottom is slightly textured but I wouldn't call it non slip. If its weighted down it will help but I think in going to need to use a little Velcro on the bottom to keep it in place if aggressively cornering. As for groceries, I have tried yet but that's what I bought it for. The sides are low but sturdy and I think it should work fine.

Thanks for the tip / info, about the Rola model 59001 organizer. I saw one (only one) "used" one on Amazon (likely a return, in very good shape.... I've had good luck w/ purchasing "used" items on Amazon )
Price was just under $40, including shipping / no sales tax. (so, I ordered it )
Link is to a bing.com image.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...53AFBDD96BD547E8DABF23B52412B&selectedIndex=7

Just adding a photo of the Rola organizer thing I ordered from Amazon (used... but I can't tell, only the box was distressed)
Note: I removed my rear seat when I purchased the vehicle.... now the entire back will "lie flat". (just four easy bolts to remove)
Those scuffs on the rear floor mat are from guitar cases and such.... ( Mat is doing it's job )
RearStorageCX-5.jpg

RearStorageCX-5bw.jpg

Back