Anyone coming from a CR-V? How do you think road noise and ride compare?

I agree it is short on storage space, cubbies in the doors, and so forth. But we are coming from a mini van where the purse went between the seats. Now it is between the console and my left leg as I sit in the passenger seat. Nevertheless, it is quite a good car. My wife seems to like it more every day.

I didn't say this back when the OP originally created this thread, but now that she's long gone, and doesn't care about our wonderful car, I feel safe in asking these questions now:

First, why in the world does any woman need to get in and out of her pocketbook while driving as much as this woman feels that she need instantaneous access to it?

My fiancee doesn't have a problem putting her pocket book either behind the rear seats, or on the hump between the rear seats, of better yet, on the floor in front of the front seat.

What's in the OP's bag that she needs access to it while driving?
My fiancee says that there's nothing she needs from it while driving, but I'm special in that my woman is totally awesome, and when she's behind the wheel, it's all about driving for her.

My second question is how friggin' huge is this woman's pocketbook that it won't fit on the hump in between the rear seats?

It amazes me the type of things people dream up to dislike a vehicle.
This one tops almost all the others I've heard of so far.

BC.

Your post is kind of insulting frankly. I never said I needed access to my purse...what I loved about the lack of console on the CR-V was that I could put my purse there on the floor and if I had to stop short I didn't have to worry about my stuff flying out everywhere. It's already happened on the CX-5...though I was using the seat at the time and not the front floor area. It also was a good place to leave it with a jacket thrown over it when I'd go to the park for a walk with a friend.

When I'm behind the wheel it is all about driving...I'm amazed at how many distracted drivers there are out there and it annoys me to no end because I need to be a very defensive driver in my area...I think someone described it as road pong where drivers cross into your lane while driving.

Don't make assumptions about people. I'm not "constantly digging in my purse" and I'm not a distracted driver.

For the record the CR-V also had a nice little hook on the swing up cup holder that you could wrap a carry out bag handle around to keep your carry out from flying all over the car, too.

But I'm sure that's an equally odd thing to dream up about missing in a prior vehicle. Has it occurred to you that not having projectiles when in an unexpected situation makes my driving SAFER than someone who's purse is on a seat and flying to the floor? THAT is a distraction.

I'll sum it like this...the interior of the CR-V felt like a woman had been involved...lots of little storage places for everything. A hidden compartment for my portable GPS was among those. The interior of the Mazda is sorely lacking for front storage space...and I'm glad to see that others concur.

And by the way, placing my purse on the hump in the back would also result in stuff dumping out. Sheesh.

And also for the record, I'm a really awesome woman too.

I agree the CX-5 has much less storage inside the cabin.
Compared to my previous ride, there is almost no storage on the doors, smaller volume under the middle armrest, smaller volume below the center console.
I had to keep some road maps out of the vehicle and really engineer the stuff that goes under the middle armrest, so it could all go in. Can't be perfect in everything.

Don't have a CR-V, but I do have an Element. So if you want to talk about road noise, drive an Element....BUT, to me, (being half deaf) road noise is not an issue. We considered a CR-V when shopping, but narrowly chose the first CX-5 GT over the CR-V (basically because sometimes my wife drives like a nut.. and needed the better handling and gas mileage). We're on our second CX-5 GT, had the Element for 3 yrs. now. We'll probably still have the Element when we're on our fourth CX-5 (The cargo space in the Element is unbelievable, for such a small vehicle).

We have had 2 CRVs, just not the current generation, so I am not sure how the current generation compares to a CX-5. I hated our 2005 due to the suspension noise and the uncomforatable front seats. The styling and the outside spare tire left me cold as well. But my wife loved it. We bought a 2009 and it was a large improvement over the 2005. The front seats were still not comfortable on a long drive but it was a good car. I thought the ride was good until we test drove and bought our CX-5 (2014 Touring, sunroof/Bose option). The Mazda is a big improvement over the Honda. We did not test drive the latest CRV. My wife thought it was time for a change from CRVs and we have had good experiences with our Mazdas in the past. I wish I had the 8-way power seat of the GT model, as opposed to the 6-way seat of the Touring. My wife would not consider a Subaru due to the interior styling and she thinks the Forester is ugly.

While the CR-V has many qualities, I could not consider it because of mainly 2 reasons. First, it really is ugly from the rear. Second, the engine is essentially the same 2.4L, with not enough torque in low revs. At some point Honda will replace it with an 'Earth Dreams' engine, who knows when. Despite that, the new CR-V does get comparable fuel-economy to the 2.5L CX-5, weighs like the 2L CX-5 and would probably cost less for the trim I'd get and I'd expect more reliability (though you can never know).
That said, I am sure the CX-5 is much more fun to drive, looks great and the engine feels excellent.

Back