Anyone coming from a CR-V? How do you think road noise and ride compare?

My wife just bought a '14 CX-5 GT after narrowing it down to CX-5 vs. CRV. I'm not thrilled by this segment (I prefer sedans). That said, I drove both SUVs, and the CX-5 won for me, hands-down. It was fun to drive, and the interior quality was much better than the Honda, which had cheap hard plastics and a hi-mount tranny selector that made me feel like I was in a minivan. We both thought the Honda had better ride quality--smoother, more solid, and less busy. But the Mazda was, overall, much more fun to drive. And the Honda initially seemed much more powerful than the 2.5 L CX-5, but then I noticed the "eco" button was not depressed. In eco mode, the CRV was less peppy than the CX-5, and presumably the mileage figures for the CRV are for when it is in eco mode. The only other place I thought the Honda was better was the front end styling, not b/c the CRV is so beautiful, but because the CX-5's snout is so butt-ugly! If Mazda fixes that, I think they will have a really competitive vehicle.

The last thing I want on my compact SUV is a snout like the CRV (with its ugly and severe underbite, blanked out grill sections, horizontal grill bars and major front overhang).

I much prefer front end styling of CX-5, new Escape, Sportage versus CRV.

I would agree that the front end styling of the Escape and the Tucson (and probably the sportage) are superior to either the CRV or the CX-5. It's obviously a matter of personal taste, but I think without a doubt the front end of the CX-5 is its weakest point styling wise.

Agreed, styling is personal taste.

Might as well get used to the new Mazda signature grill, some variation of this CX-5 grill will likely be included on most non-sports car models. Already it's on CX-5, CX-9, Mazda6. I think it's an improvement over past Mazda grills. BMW has it's dual kidney-shaped grills, Mercedes has its sport grill with big logo/emblem, Lexus its new spindle grill, Audi with its jumbo grill, etc. Honda and Acura has many ugly styling exercises in lineup that need some rework sooner than later (Crossturd, ZitDX, TL with beak, CRV minivan-like humpback, etc.). New Accord is certainly an improvement.

The CX-5 cabin noise is fair at best. We had a busted up lemon of a 1998 CR-V... so it had noise issues... yet, it wasn't much worse than a bran new car. So I'd say stick with your Honda, especially if you know it's not a lemon. Keep it.

agreed, styling is personal taste.

Might as well get used to the new mazda signature grill, some variation of this cx-5 grill will likely be included on most non-sports car models. Already it's on cx-5, cx-9, mazda6. I think it's an improvement over past mazda grills. Bmw has it's dual kidney-shaped grills, mercedes has its sport grill with big logo/emblem, lexus its new spindle grill, audi with its jumbo grill, etc. Honda and acura has many ugly styling exercises in lineup that need some rework sooner than later (crossturd, zitdx, tl with beak, crv minivan-like humpback, etc.). New accord is certainly an improvement.
lol!

I don't like the front of the cx5 either. Everything else looks great though, especially in better trim, with a fat tire package like Mazda brings to the auto shows. When decked out like that, the ugly front is a lot more invisible.

From any angle, any altitude CX-5 is by far the best looking CUV out there. Everything else is either too round, has a ugly ass grill, or a humpback like a damn Pontiac Aztek. I actually see hints of that hideous Aztek grill on the new ugly Escape and the back of the Aztek on the CR-V.

. Everything else is either too round, has a ugly ass grill, or a humpback like a damn Pontiac Aztek. I actually see hints of that hideous Aztek grill on the new ugly Escape and the back of the Aztek on the CR-V.

Now that you mention it, I do remember that Asstek rear-end, striking similarity to rear of latest CRV. The old CRV actually looked better.

Guess what, see the grill on the handsome new Mazda3, looks familiar (similar to CX-5, CX-9, and 6).

FWIW, never owned a CR-V, but it was a main contender in the many test drives we took, and in the end, the CX-5 drove better, felt less buzzy than the CRV. She just liked everything about the CX-5 better from the steering, to the engine response to the transmission to the suspension, and the looks. There is something about the CRV rear end that is a little bit off. It gives you loads of room, but she was willing to sacrifice that for the perceived better engine. More torquey, lower down, and through the ranges that she is most concerned about. This is a from a family where some immediate or close member that has driven Hondas since the 1970's, so we become very familiar with them, and for the most part love Hondas. That Mazda was able to lure the wife away from Honda and Toyota was a big deal.

I just traded my 02 CRV (155k miles) for a 14 Touring with Tech/Moonroof. It was time.

Had the CX5 for just about a month and loving it. Handles great.

Funny thing is I miss the space between the seats too.

Great feedback...thank you so much. And a fabulous suggestion on the sound meter.

DeepFriedSushi: The price I got is for an AWD. And the dealership actually let me do an overnight with it. So I brought it home, took DH for a ride...and to be very honest with you the overall ride doesn't feel that much better than what I've got with my 9-year old car. I mean the Mazda is definitely tighter on corners, but I've got really good tires on the CR-V so I dare say the tire/road noise seems to be less in my CR-V. However the Mazda feels more "airtight" in the cockpit.

The bluetooth stereo is giving me some issues...it won't stream Slacker Radio and instead it resumes playback of my podcasts even though I wasn't playing them when I turned the car off.

As stupid as this seems, I'm missing a spot for my purse...if I have a passenger I have to put it in the back. Since there's a hump on the floor I have to put it either behind the passenger or open the back door and put it behind me. Not a convenient location.

I'm shocked I'm saying this, but I don't think I'm sold. I think the Honda will be sticking around a bit longer.

I feel I got a heck of a deal...but I'm not "in love" with the vehicle. The bluetooth streaming issues concern me as I seriously doubt there would be any way to fix that. I can't tell you the last time I listened to the stereo...I exclusively stream content from my phone. So this is a big deal for me. I believe I would not be able to control the playback if I use auxiliary connection.

I stream slacker radio in my CX-5 everyday, works like a charm.

As stupid as this seems, I'm missing a spot for my purse...if I have a passenger I have to put it in the back. Since there's a hump on the floor I have to put it either behind the passenger or open the back door and put it behind me. Not a convenient location.

I didn't say this back when the OP originally created this thread, but now that she's long gone, and doesn't care about our wonderful car, I feel safe in asking these questions now:

First, why in the world does any woman need to get in and out of her pocketbook while driving as much as this woman feels that she need instantaneous access to it?

My fiancee doesn't have a problem putting her pocket book either behind the rear seats, or on the hump between the rear seats, of better yet, on the floor in front of the front seat.

What's in the OP's bag that she needs access to it while driving?
My fiancee says that there's nothing she needs from it while driving, but I'm special in that my woman is totally awesome, and when she's behind the wheel, it's all about driving for her.

My second question is how friggin' huge is this woman's pocketbook that it won't fit on the hump in between the rear seats?

It amazes me the type of things people dream up to dislike a vehicle.
This one tops almost all the others I've heard of so far.

BC.

First, why in the world does any woman need to get in and out of her pocketbook while driving as much as this woman feels that she need instantaneous access to it?
Maybe I missed something, but where does she say she "needs access" to it? It seems to me like it is a random inconvenience that she has to put it in the back instead of where she is used to putting it in the CR-V.
My fiancee doesn't have a problem putting her pocket book either behind the rear seats, or on the hump between the rear seats, of better yet, on the floor in front of the front seat.
My wife has no problem putting her purse on the floor of the front seat either. I as the occasional passenger often find it annoying that I have to move my legs to make room for it and think it would be nice if she had a spot between the front seats that she could easily put it.

Based on the OP's other posts, it looks like she ended up with a CX-5 GT and I'm not sure why you seemed to take offense to one (minor) issue she has with it.

Well said, the storage in the CX-5 is IMO dire.

Coming from a Xtrail were I have a locker on top of the dash, cup holders at either side of the dash, which I use for storage.

I'm going to have to relocate things with the Mazda.

I didn't say this back when the OP originally created this thread, but now that she's long gone, and doesn't care about our wonderful car, I feel safe in asking these questions now:

What's in the OP's bag that she needs access to it while driving?
My fiancee says that there's nothing she needs from it while driving, but I'm special in that my woman is totally awesome, and when she's behind the wheel, it's all about driving for her.

My second question is how friggin' huge is this woman's pocketbook that it won't fit on the hump in between the rear seats?

It amazes me the type of things people dream up to dislike a vehicle.
This one tops almost all the others I've heard of so far.

BC.

On our CX-9, my wife wishes she could put her purse in the console, but the latter is far too small to do that. That way it would stay hidden, and I wouldn't have to step over it when she drives and keeps the purse in the passenger foot well (she doesn't put it in the back seat area when she drives me and the kids.

Funny enough, this purse thing came up often when looking to purchase the CX-9; some reviewers mentioned the lack of purse storage as compared to the Acadia, which i believe had a console large enough to fit laptops and purses.

People do underestimate good storage space: when I drive my Speed 3, I don't like having my wallet and phone in my pocket, but apart from the cup holders, there is no room to tuck them into. Sure, I could stick them in the console, but that's not in direct sight where i won't forget them, and is somewhat inconvenient.

Well said, the storage in the CX-5 is IMO dire.

Coming from a Xtrail were I have a locker on top of the dash, cup holders at either side of the dash, which I use for storage.

I'm going to have to relocate things with the Mazda.

You're meant to drive it, not use it as a storage locker :D

seriously, though, got to agree with xtrail, my old kia had 5 cup holders 2 storage compartments and passenger seat understorage more than the cx-5. In fact it had far too many storage places, I never could find where I'd put stuff. In the cx-5 there is too little storage. Something in between would have been great. I can forgive that thought because of the performance & handling.

Back