Anyone come from a CX-7 to a CX-9?

I am currently leasing a 2007 CX-7 GT AWD and I am seriously considering getting a 2010 CX-9 AWD Touring. I can get a good deal since I get S-PLAN and the rates for leasing are much better on the CX-9.

I test drove one today, felt a little sluggish, but it was a Sport. I like the idea of more room. I am very much in Lust with my CX-7, so I am assuming I will be more with the 9?

I was considering the GT, however the only reason would be for the Fog Lights and HID lights, which I am pretty sure I can add later???

Any thought or insights would be great.

Here is what I am looking at:

2010 Touring CX-9, Bose, Trailer Hitch, Rear Liftgate, Homelink and Remote Engine.

Also can someone verify if with the BOSE on the Touring, if I get the Handfree AUDIO (I know Phone comes with it) for my Ipod Touch? It does not say clearly.

I have both... Bought the CX-9 a year earlier and have driven both quite a bit over the last 7 months.

There is definitely an accelration "lag" due to the drive by wire, but you'll get used to it and anticipate the merge into traffic, or use the manual shift. The CX-7 does not have this lag, but accelerates nicely with the Turbo. The CX-7 is almost 4Klbs and the 9 is about another 500lbs if I remember correctly.

CX-9 is very much like the CX-7 except it has a MUCH quieter and softer ride. The engine noise in the CX-7 is VERY loud when accelerating (but purrs on the highway). I can't stand the noise inside the cabin when accelerating in the CX-7....sounds like a truck.

CX-9 is more refined inside with much of the same bells and whistles as the 7 plus a few more safety options like side collission detection, etc. CX-9 has power remote rear hatch door etc.. The CX-9 Seats are more comfortable for sure and I like the more solid door feeling of the 9. (When you swing it open, you mean business....whereas the CX-7 doors feel like aluminum foil) when switching between cars.

Adding the Fog lights is not so bad (no control on steering column) but the HID's are quite expensive and not sure if that's possible due to the internal housing. Ceric would know....

The 2010 has a new NAV, audio system, so best to confirm what it does with someone more familiar with this newer model.
Good luck

I have both... Bought the CX-9 a year earlier and have driven both quite a bit over the last 7 months.

There is definitely an accelration "lag" due to the drive by wire, but you'll get used to it and anticipate the merge into traffic, or use the manual shift. The CX-7 does not have this lag, but accelerates nicely with the Turbo. The CX-7 is almost 4Klbs and the 9 is about another 500lbs if I remember correctly.

CX-9 is very much like the CX-7 except it has a MUCH quieter and softer ride. The engine noise in the CX-7 is VERY loud when accelerating (but purrs on the highway). I can't stand the noise inside the cabin when accelerating in the CX-7....sounds like a truck.

CX-9 is more refined inside with much of the same bells and whistles as the 7 plus a few more safety options like side collission detection, etc. CX-9 has power remote rear hatch door etc.. The CX-9 Seats are more comfortable for sure and I like the more solid door feeling of the 9. (When you swing it open, you mean business....whereas the CX-7 doors feel like aluminum foil) when switching between cars.

Adding the Fog lights is not so bad (no control on steering column) but the HID's are quite expensive and not sure if that's possible due to the internal housing. Ceric would know....

The 2010 has a new NAV, audio system, so best to confirm what it does with someone more familiar with this newer model.
Good luck

Thanks for the quick response!!

I am use to CX-7 Fog Lights, it's just irritating that it's not an option on the Touring CX-9. But for me to spend a few thousand bucks for just a few things I'd want does not make sense.

I know what you mean about the doors. When I shut the one on the 9, I could not believe the difference. Just like you said, tin foil.

Doe the rear seats fold all the way down on the 9 or are they elevated a little? I'd imagine it would not be more than a handfull of times I'd use the seats. I will probably keep them down and would like a smooth flat surface to put a OEM mat in (like my CX-7). Make sense?

Again thanks for the comments.

Jeff

The third row folds totally flat. The middle row has a slight tilt.

For 2010 Mazda offers a new non-nav Bose unit that includes a 4.3 inch screen and the streaming bluetooth.

Personally, I like the new Touring package, and will be trading our Sport in for one towards the end of the year. The GT adds nothing truly useful, other than fog lights IF you actually have regular fog. Those should be available as a kit, just like the previous models, though.

Much thanks. Glad it lays flat. My GF has a Explorer with 3rd row and it does not lay flat.

Ya I like the Touring Package. Just about everything I want is in there. The GT has a few more things I'd like but things I can live without considering the cost.

It's flat, but there is a lip that is raised a few inches. If you were to lay straight 2x4 along the length, there would be a definite incline of 10degrees maybe

I have kept my 3rd row down in my CX9 since I bought it a couple of months ago. I have the Weathertech cargo liner that fits behind the second row and it looks great, don't even notice the 3rd row is there.

What are lease rates like? I am shopping around for a new car for my wife and BMW and MB seem to be the only cars with strong residuals resulting in nice leases.

Check Edmund's forums for current lease rates.

CX-9 Touring on a 36 month, 15k per year is 52% and 0.00126. (50% for a GT).

I drove both the FWD 9 and the AWD. Both had been driven in the same manner before my drive. IMHO, the FWD felt noticeably more powerful and nimble. The AWD felt great but just "damped" enough such that it did effect my decision. I really wanted the AWD, but the difference in feel was something I did not expect.

FYI, if one looks at the difference in MPG, 15/25 and 16/26 (i think these are close enough). 15 vs 16 is 6%, 25 vs 26 is 4%. Split the difference and you end up with 5%. This must be due to the combination of a little added weight and added powertrain drag. 5% of 276HP is almost 14HP in terms of "feel".

Maybe this is where my impressions came from. Who knows.

Are the 2010s really rated at 15/25 for AWD? Our 08 GT AWD is rated 15/21. We've never gotten as low as 15 in the city, but on the highway the best we've got is right at 20.5-21.

Tyson

Back