anybody painted their stock rims???

motchai

Contributor
:
Mazda Protege5
hi guys, i need opinions on whether i would paint my stock rims to black. i don't know if anybody did this already and how it looked. if its worth it or not. i would change to stock during winter so i just want to be different.
PLEASE ADVISE!!!!

I have 2002 Protege 5

i did mine a few years ago. i just followed the instructions on the can.
paintedwheel.jpg

IMG_3651.jpg

how many coats of primer and paints did you use? and did u use a clear coat for that?
how long did it take u to do it

Looks nice bro, after seeing your pics, i think i'm gonna be doing it. thanks man

did u take out the mazda logo and painted it separately?

no primer, first, i washed the wheels down with dishsoap, then i sanded the wheel to a dull finish using 400 grit sand paper. i used the duplicolor wheel paint. about 3-4 light coats of color and 2 coats of clear.

total, it can be done in a weekend. i let them cure in the sun for about a week to make sure they dried (overkill, i know). they held up pretty well, i think only one chipped and it was from a rocks that bounce up on the freeway. i popped out the mazda center caps and painted them seperately. overall they looked pretty nice. it curbed my appetite enough and changed the overall appearance of the car to where i no longer wanted aftermarket wheels.

thanks 4 the teaching, master. i'll probably do it one weekend before the winter, and hopefully it won't be tha cold yet. if not i'll have to wait for next year. i'll post some pics in case i did it.

Back