Anybody here actually use their P5 as outdoor activies car?

MP5Forsnow, I have family in Corona, next time i go visit I'll have to check out your ride. Maybe we can get a few of us together.

man, I feel left out

Jliao, I also sleep in my P5, sweet!!

I've used my P5 for biking, hiking (equipment), soon skiing (Okemo this weekend!), and sleeping in. The front seats recline very far back and I've slept comfortably up there whenever I'm alone and need to crash out for a night. I've driven to New Orleans twice and gone on other road trips and always slept in the back with the seats down (2 adults). It can get pretty cozy in there if you know how to set it up.

I guess I'm the only one here that goes skiing and not snowboarding.
For a rack I bought the Thule velo vise that has the extra bar that you can attach to the factory rack. I just ordered a thule 4 ski rack and some extra parts, trying to somewhat follow mtnbiker26's genius setup.

Hey cbcbd, you mentioned that your going to Okemo? I live in MA. Let me know if you have any questions about the rack or need more pics.

Anybody else surf outta their P5s?
My 6'6" fits in the back nicely. In fact, I can fit 3 guys and 3 boards&suits in there! It's also nice to have my board safely INSIDE my wagon while I'm running down some lonely trail to check the surf...

eggynatey,
I just noticed your location is at Santa Cruz. I go to school at UCSC, I'm sure you're pretty damn close to where I am! Let me know ;)

I throw my Kayak on top of the Protege 5 all the time (only in the spring and summer actually). People complain about the roof racks and all, but I love the versatility of the car. The roof racks are there as a simple reminder that this still is kinda a station wagon (no matter how many times I forget).

Anyway, yeah, I put they Kayak on the top and hit the small rivers in the pine barrens....God I love my car.

Just dont open the back with a board strapped onto the racks. I did and got a nice new scratch.:mad: EEEEdiot!

Jliao, Yeah! I knew there was somebody around here with a P5! I live over on the E/S at Pleasure Point. Let's meet up down by West Cliff or something. Sometimes we'll cruise down to Natural Bridges to check the sunset...(smoke)

Dammit, I'm still not too familiar with places around SC. The only street I know is Bay Street and Mission :/
Oh, and the safeway on the Bay Street -_-

But I'm down, hit me up at on my email.

*Note* I don't have my P5 with me, UCSC don't allow freshmen to drive. Thus, my car is up at Oakland.

yep, try this one

fc8df6e5.jpg.orig.jpg

used mine for a 2 week canoe & camping trip last summer

This probably doesn't count but...

Since I sold my bikes for the cars, all I do with the P5 is throw my lacrosse equipment in the back. It holds enough stuff to outfit a whole team and the cargo tray/net keeps everything in place pretty well.

eggynatey said:
Just dont open the back with a board strapped onto the racks. I did and got a nice new scratch.:mad: EEEEdiot!

As stupid as it sounds I would have done the same damn thing, so I thank you for the warning. There is no way my longboard is going inside so the odds of hitting it with the 5th door were pretty damn good.

OK, I did a search for snowboard attachments on the MP5 and have yet to find the price for the attachment to the stock racks. The Yakima's look like they attach to the rain gutters or just rest on the roof. But since I live in the states and my P5 will come with racks the Yakima is a little obsolite. So if anybody can help that would be great. A picture would be nice to see tooo
Oh and I saw a lot of you talking about snowboarding and can't believe any of you waste your time at Mt'n High (Never Been but have also Never Wasted my time). I live in Diego and Mammoth is soo worth the 7 1/2 Hr drive! I will be there April 13 & 14th (Sun & Mon) if anybody is interested in joining.

You can mount the Thule 2 (724) and 4 (725) board carriers to the factory load bars using the Thule Fat Mouth clamps but the factory load bars are really far back on the roof and wing will hit the boards when you open the hatch. Trust me, I have a nice scratch on the wing from my girl's brother. If you want to carry boards your best bet is the Yakima Q Towers and 102 clips. Here's a pic of my car and I have more if you need them.

Attachments

• 102_0287.jpg
    102_0287.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 110
Yeah, thanks. I think I would go with the 725 Thule, I would rather put a sign in my back window to remind me about the boards hitting. How does the Yakima prevent this? Is it because you can slide it up further on the car? Or is it that it sits higher?

ive only gone snowboarding once with my p5, and it held equipment for 3!, but usually i just go rollerblading

Back