Anybody else get the "lack of illumination survey from Mazda USA"?

:
95 Miata, 14 CX5 Touring FWD, 18 CX9 GT FWD
I got an email from them today for a survey in regards to the illumination of the "screens" (gauges, infotainment screen, and HVAC display).

It is asking if we have any issues with the visibility or ability to see these screens during our use of the car. It looks like it also applies to the new mazda3 and mazda6, as they show pictures of their dashboards too in the survey.

Just completed the survey.
I answered I don't have any problem with the illumination of the gauges.

I haven't received the survey but though there isn't a problem with the back-lighting of the gauges, the plastic covering the (auto) HVAC and clock area goes to a semi-opaque haze in certain sunlight conditions.

I don't really have any issues with the visibility other than that the infotainment screen could be brighter with the dimmer turned all the way up (but not in the "dimmer cancel" mode), but it was alleviated by adjusting the brightness of the infotainment screen itself in the settings function.

I thought the question about the type of knob to control the dimmer was a good one.

It asked what type of knob would I prefer to control the dimmer. The existing twist stalk in the gauges, a thumb wheel, and there was another selection or two, but I chose the thumb wheel. Our prius uses a thumb wheel located left of the steering wheel on the dash and it is much easier to reach and use.

Last edited:
If you turn your headlights on during the day (IE during rain) the gauges dim. Most people are probably smart enough to know how to brighten them using the reset switch, but I'm sure some morons have complained about it.

I wish i knew how to brighten the instrument cluster when I have my headlights on during the day. You think they would have a switch or something. I have complained to the dealer about this. Morons.

Not sure if you're trolling or not....but to be safe...you just turn the dimmer stalk in the gauges all the way clockwise. You'll hear a beep when you put it in to "dimmer cancel" mode, which is all located in the quick guide manual and the driver's manual.

This is why I like the thumb wheel dimmer switch. I've seen on previous gen Mazda3's that the dimmer stalk in the gauges is actually large enough in diameter to where they put a little graphic on the end of the stalk indicating that it's a dimmer adjustment.

Not sure if you're trolling or not....but to be safe...you just turn the dimmer stalk in the gauges all the way clockwise. You'll hear a beep when you put it in to "dimmer cancel" mode, which is all located in the quick guide manual and the driver's manual.

This is why I like the thumb wheel dimmer switch. I've seen on previous gen Mazda3's that the dimmer stalk in the gauges is actually large enough in diameter to where they put a little graphic on the end of the stalk indicating that it's a dimmer adjustment.

Don't you have to reset the dimmer afterwards to get it back to the same level it was at previously? I am very particular about settings like that, and would not want to fiddle with it once I got it set how I want it.

Edit: Would also like to mention that I did not get the survey, and also that I agree that the HVAC controls and clock are too dim when the lights come on during the day (which requires adjusting the dimmer setting to resolve - personally, I just live with it).

Last edited:
The CX5 has very poor cabin lighting, forgetting about the 1970's style dial to mess around with for the instrument lights, the window buttons and unlit area's are difficult to find, there are many buttons which are not lit at all. My previous VW's had two dim red lights in the roof, not intrusive at all, you didn't even realise they were there, but you could see around the cabin with ease.

The CX5 has very poor cabin lighting, forgetting about the 1970's style dial to mess around with for the instrument lights, the window buttons and unlit area's are difficult to find, there are many buttons which are not lit at all. My previous VW's had two dim red lights in the roof, not intrusive at all, you didn't even realise they were there, but you could see around the cabin with ease.

Agree. Every single button was lit in the Audi's that I had. They also had the focused red lights to provide unobtrusive ambient lighting on the center console, like your VW.

I can't understand why Mazda would light the one-touch driver window switch and not the other three window switches that are millimeters away. It seems like they were just cutting corners/shaving pennies, and it makes the vehicle seem cheap.

That's the switches, I was typing from memory and new that something was messed up with the window switch lighting but couldn't remember what exactly!

All the buttons should be illuminated at night (Saab style). This costs extra but it's worth it when unfamiliar drivers use your vehicle at night. Once you're familiar with the car it's not a big deal but illuminated controls still look cool.

All the buttons should be illuminated at night (Saab style). This costs extra but it's worth it when unfamiliar drivers use your vehicle at night. Once you're familiar with the car it's not a big deal but illuminated controls still look cool.

Agreed. My last car was a SAAB. There again the one before was a Peugeot (French pile of Merde) and not even the transmission selector was lit on the tunnel. OK showed on the speedo binnacle whether in N or D etc, but was stupid of them not to show beside the shifter.

We probably won't get that survey in the UK. The dimmer for the Audio/GPS display is poor being too dark when turned down. Also the HVA illumination should match the rest I feel.

Alex

My last Mazda (a 2009 MS3) had similar overhead lighting. It was blue in color. It's a shame they did away with it. I would have at least liked the window switches and door lock buttons to have a light.

the most annoying lack of lighting for me are:

-the home link garage open/close buttons (when coming home at night, i have to feel around and try to find where the buttons are). trying to find a DIY fix for this (thinking about fluorescent paint/stickers or led retrolit buttons if they exist)

-the window/locks buttons, even if I rarely operate other windows than mine, it just seams cheap to me not to have lights for them.

-cargo light is weak and should have been installed on the roof and or gate because having a lot of stuff in the trunk just blocks the light... stupid (again, will try to find a DIY fix for this)

-cup holders should have lights, this would make night driving with drinks less annoying, not having to feel around for the cup holders.

The lack of window/door lock button lighting is quite an annoyance. It is surprising because even our family's two 8th gen Civic's have lit buttons/switches. They're sub $20k cars! Hell, I can't remember the last Mazda made after 2003 that didn't have have lit button/switches.

Another thing would be the dim center console. I would appreciate it if they included ONE DAMN LED like every manufacturer to shed some light on the center console. Hell, the 1g Mazda3 has it.

The glove box. Couldn't stuff a damn 194 bulb in there?

The gated automatic shifter. Yes, I know there is a gear indicator on the dash. Those new to gated shifters had a bit of confusion using my car initially. That is because they pay attention to the shifter when they first operate it and get confused where the stick lies between N, D, and M. There should be a (contrasting color) lighted indicator for the gated shifter as well. Fortunately this was taken care of for the 2014.5+ shifters.

If I were to nitpick, I would be picky about the hatch area lighting and he lack of door puddle/safety light for when it is open.

Last edited:
Back