Anybody else feel funky downshift while sitting at a stop light?

It does seem to do some funky shifting once in awhile, but, I chock it up to the complexity of a modern 6-speed, it's got to be an engineering wonder that these things work at all, and work for 200,000 to 300,000+ miles. It's pretty amazing, INHO, so, I'm forgiving if it makes a weird shift once in awhile. Overall, I think it's a pretty awesome engine-tranny combo!!

But, what I've noticed has been more weird shifting, when downshifting, while slowing down. I don't think I've noticed the feeling of getting bumped, after being stopped.

Last edited:
I too tired to see if I can get any hint of transmission disengagement while stopped. While releasing the brake slowly, I do not notice anything - no lurching, no change in RPM and no sounds.
AFAIK, the torque converter is always engaged in gear before/during and when I release the brake completely. There is also no lurching while stopping.
I do feel the torque converter engaging slowly after backing out of the driveway, putting in drive and pressing the gas. It happens mostly in the morning, when the engine is cold. There is a sensation of delay in power delivery with a minor nudge, when it fully engages. My previous car also has this happen.

This is the transmission disengaging from the engine. Many of us have done this manually in the past while waiting at a light for a long time, or waiting for a bridge to lower or a train to pass. This helps with fuel economy since the engine does not carry the transmission while at a complete stop. The parasitic loss the transmission has the engine is relieved and is part of the SkyActiv Technology. My questions as an enthusiast, is why the heck would Mazda of N.A. NOT announce this as part of the SkyActiv?! Other manufactures brag about their Start/Stop technology , and Mazda, nothing! On the 6 they show you how the i-eLoop works, they should have a description of this for the CX-5.
Both engines have this logic built in. This logic is not active if the transmission is set to sports mode.
I will check if the 6 has the same logic. My MS3 is getting serviced and will be ready tomorrow. I've been driving a CX5 loaner the past few days, and it feels exactly like the wifes CX5. Funny to read folks description on here of the feeling. Wife mentioned to me "the car doesn't move when i let the brake go"!!(uhm)
Ive been wondering if the 6 has this. I'll check one out when I pick my baby up!

Haven't post much lately...shout out to all!!

Glad I ran across this! I too have thought that someone behind me at a light tapped my bumper on my 2016, but eventually assumed that it was the AC cycling after a couple of unwarranted glares at drivers behind me (glare)...good thread to read over and to educate myself. It is a subtle feeling, not really what I'd call a lurch, but more of a perception that the car has been, uh, I guess "jostled" is a good word.

For me it **almost** feels like how my Mercedes used to shut down at a stoplight like the electric cars do.

I hated that about the Mercedes. It would auto turn on EVERY TIME you started the car and you had to manually de-activate it.

That sucked.

Speed305,

How do you know that the transmission disengages from the engine during extended idling if Mazda doesn't say so? I could not verify that mine actually does this.

Yep, mine definitely does this, worried me the first few times. It does feel very similar to the Mercedes stop /start but not as abrupt. Man, I hated the feel of that system.

In the service manual it indicates that the transmission goes into a neutral state when stopped in drive. It was hard to detect in my 2013 but I can watch the tack in the 2016 and it bobs when I release the brake so I think it is working.

In the service manual it indicates that the transmission goes into a neutral state when stopped in drive. It was hard to detect in my 2013 but I can watch the tack in the 2016 and it bobs when I release the brake so I think it is working.

My early build 2013 2.0L did the same.

I had the same problem, happened twice. I too looked to see if someone hit me from behind. It was violent enough to send my head back into the headrest. Complained to dealer at my last oil change and they performed the following:
"Verified slow trans engagement. Updated TCM and PCM calibrations. Road tested and system passed. Symptom CD:80 Damage CD:9
Problem has not occurred since.

Knowledge is power...I thought my trans was going bad already. And I too have checked my rear-view to see if someone tapped my bumper!

So has anyone else requested the above diagnostic test? Is it needed or just part of CX-5 ownership? In addition to this, I also have a lag when shifting from R to D. If I go to fast, it jerks harshly. I have to wait in D (when shifting out of R) about 3 seconds before depressing the gas pedal.

Knowledge is power...I thought my trans was going bad already. And I too have checked my rear-view to see if someone tapped my bumper!

So has anyone else requested the above diagnostic test? Is it needed or just part of CX-5 ownership? In addition to this, I also have a lag when shifting from R to D. If I go to fast, it jerks harshly. I have to wait in D (when shifting out of R) about 3 seconds before depressing the gas pedal.

There's been a few reports of this, get thee to a dealer and demonstrate it - it's abnormal behavior. Previous posters have had the transmission replaced entirely. Is yours a 2016?

I am glad to know there are others that have experienced this! I have experienced this slight, subtle, tap-from-behind feeling while at a complete stop - usually after stopping for 10-15 seconds. It is completely random, though - does not happen with every complete stop. I have observed the tach, and no perceptable change in RPM's. After coming from a troubled 9-speed transmission Jeep Cherokee, I have been a little wary.

The problem with reporting to the dealer is cannot be duplicated with EVERY complete stop. Any suggestions?

The problem with reporting to the dealer is cannot be duplicated with EVERY complete stop. Any suggestions?

It doesn't have to do it at every stop to be considered faulty. These transmissions are proving to be highly dependable but if yours has a calibration issue or something, take it in and have them look at it. It only needs to do it one time for the technician to determine it's not normal.

It doesn't have to do it at every stop to be considered faulty. These transmissions are proving to be highly dependable but if yours has a calibration issue or something, take it in and have them look at it. It only needs to do it one time for the technician to determine it's not normal.

Thanks, I will talk to the service department and see if there is a fix, calibrations, etc. I'll update with solution/repair, if any.

When the car is fully warmed up and the rpm drops to a low level, the AT drops the TC out of gear and that is what you feel and, it is normal. I don't complain about known characteristics as it just makes service people frustrated. Just deal with it and move on. Ed

There's been a few reports of this, get thee to a dealer and demonstrate it - it's abnormal behavior. Previous posters have had the transmission replaced entirely. Is yours a 2016?

Thanks for the info; mine is 2015. I've got to take it in for the power window motor and the fuel pipe recall; I'll have them check it then.

When the car is fully warmed up and the rpm drops to a low level, the AT drops the TC out of gear and that is what you feel and, it is normal. I don't complain about known characteristics as it just makes service people frustrated. Just deal with it and move on. Ed

I agree with you on that. Last thing I want is for them to see me coming and cringe. Good relations go a long way - but it's a fine line to walk when you're learning, hence my statement; knowledge is power :) Anyway, last thing I want to do is think something is normal and drive with it....until my engine blows. The service peeps can easily tell me if something is normal or not so it won't hurt to ask.

I am concerned because this occurs at random times - cannot seem to observe any pattern for it to happen. If this happened EVERY time I came to a complete stop, then I would make the assumption that it might be normal. I would prefer to document the issue with the service department in case it becomes a serious issue later. If I am told the "down-shift' (or whatever it may be) is normal, then I am OK with it.

I love this car - the more I drive it, the more I appreciate it's zoom-zoom qualities!

Thanks for the info; mine is 2015. I've got to take it in for the power window motor and the fuel pipe recall; I'll have them check it then.

What's the build date? (found on a sticker along the driver's door sill) The similar reports here of this involved 2016 models. Hopefully it's just a firmware/calibration issue that is quick to resolve.

Back