Any reason to want 07 over 05 Mazda3S?

Redlinez

Looking at two, not sure I want the 05 S hatch. I like the looks of the S sedans better and wonder if they're less prone to squeaks and rattles as just about all my previous hatches have been plagued with them. I did drive one used 05 or 06 S hatch about a year ago that didn't have any, I just wasn't in the market looking then. The 05 hatch has 27k on it, the 07 sedan, 34k. Both 5 speed manuals. My wife and I drove a new 08 hatch and thought it was stiffer and "jumpier" than the comparable sedan. Maybe with some miles on them, they soften up a tad?

I've had two and the first one (a Silver '04 Hatch) had some rattles, but no more than you'd expect out of a 4-/5-year-old car and one of them was solved by retightening the lock-down bolt on the emergency jack. The rest were "creaks" in the interior moldings (but only in winter) and one in the driver's door that was probably the subject of a TSB involving one of the clips for the window motor's wiring harness.

The current one (pictured in my sig) is 1.5 years old now, but still has no interior rattles except for what's in the glove box. I am, however, taking it in tomorrow to get the front sway bar bushings replaced under warranty due to the creaking sound they make when going slowly over speed bumps (or similar).

As for which one to get... while I like the updated styling of the '07 more than the original styling of the '05 ("more open" grille areas; angular (rather than round) fog lamps; rear bumper reminiscent of the 'Speed3), I'd also "put up with" the older styling in favor of the extra cargo space and easier access to it. But that's me.

Also, what color are they?

And how well maintained was the '05 hatch, only having ~5K miles/year put on it? (That's kind of a longish time to just sit there (for a hatchback), IMHO...)

The 05 hatch is blue, not sure which one yet. I prefer the styling on the pre 07's. I like those wheels better and the round fog lights. The 07 is a bright red sedan- but it has leather, roof, bose, etc. I believe the hatch has a sunroof, but I believe it has cloth. I'm waiting on pics. The other advantage to the 05 hatch is that it's at a dealer chain where I used to work and have bought about 10 cars from this sales manager. He's one of three stores I've bought cars from whom I hope to find another one from. (if that makes sense).

The 05 hatch is blue, not sure which one yet. I prefer the styling on the pre 07's. I like those wheels better and the round fog lights. The 07 is a bright red sedan- but it has leather, roof, bose, etc. I believe the hatch has a sunroof, but I believe it has cloth. I'm waiting on pics. The other advantage to the 05 hatch is that it's at a dealer chain where I used to work and have bought about 10 cars from this sales manager. He's one of three stores I've bought cars from whom I hope to find another one from. (if that makes sense).

<nods> That makes perfectly good sense. You've built a solid business relationship from which you've both benefitted.

For an '05, it could either be Winning Blue Metallic (lighter; my favorite of the blues), or Strato Blue (darker; my second favorite blue (incidentally, Aurora Blue is my least favorite color, blue or otherwise -- too purple)).

I'm torn on the wheels... I like them both, but, yeah, the '04-'06 wheels are better, if only because they're easier to clean. ;)

As far as amenities... that IS a tough call... sunroof, BOSE... I must say, though, that I'm not partial to leather. I wish car manufacturers would offer power adjustable seats w/o requiring that they be leather. Cloth is so much more comfortable (IMO) and it's easier to care for (in most repects, anyway). (Sweet Jumping Jeebus, I sound like Andy Rooney from 60 Minutes. (unamused))

Back