Any Photographers out there?

I recently have an interest in photography. Just ordered a Canon G5, and I'm looking for a few things

1. A web site for newbie's. Something that explains all this photo terminology ( apertures, shutter speeds, etc) and when to use it and why. Maybe some tips, tutorials etc.

2. Looking to add some lenses to the G5. I see these kits on Ebay and online stores, but I don't want to buy a crap Lenses and ruin a good camera. Just want to extend the G5's zoom as much as possible, and maybe get a wide lense. What names should I look for, or avoid.

newf said:
I recently have an interest in photography. Just ordered a Canon G5, and I'm looking for a few things

1. A web site for newbie's. Something that explains all this photo terminology ( apertures, shutter speeds, etc) and when to use it and why. Maybe some tips, tutorials etc.

2. Looking to add some lenses to the G5. I see these kits on Ebay and online stores, but I don't want to buy a crap Lenses and ruin a good camera. Just want to extend the G5's zoom as much as possible, and maybe get a wide lense. What names should I look for, or avoid.

I've been looking at the G5 also, or the Nikon 5400. Both have features I like, but both have features I don't like.

Since you have a Canon, I would stick with Canon lenses. And yyou will need an adapter ring to fit any other lens. That will screw with the lighting a little.

Re: Re: Any Photographers out there?

www.photo.net is a good site.

I have a Powershot G2 with both the Canon wide-angle & telephoto lens. You need to buy an adaptor ring, plus the lens itself. I wouldn't get it unless you really need them...they're pretty pricey, and the picture quality is slightly worse with them on.

The G5 is a wonderful camera, with lots of room for creativity. Learn all you can about shutter speed, aperture, and ISO speed (I would suggest buying a book)...then use aperture priority or manual mode...you'll have a lot of control over the picture.

Newf,

I have been an amateur photographer for about 30 years. I statred with a Kodak 126mm camera and progressed to 110 then 35mm. My graduation present was a Cannon A1 and it is still working flawlessly even after many backpacking trips. I now have a Nikon Coolpix 995 and love it, it is about 2 years old. My recommendations are to look at cameras that have good optics, that is what makes the picture. Any adapters you get will attach to the existing lens, look at what tele-converters and wide angle lenses are available. Also, do not concern yourself about what digital zoom the camera has. It is a nice feature but it degrades the image quality. You are better off getting a telephoto lens and using the optical zoom-zoom (had to throw that in). Before you buy, go to a Ritz Camera store, hold and try the camera, find one that is comfortable to use...then look online for the best price. Do research before you buy as to the sellers reputation, I have heard of many people getting screwed by the cheapest price dealers. Also beware of the 'gray market' cameras. There are refurbished units out there allready and those are usually the ones that are the cheapest.

Once you get the camera, look in your area for a cmera club. That is a good way to learn from people who have a lot of experience. Plus the nice things about digital cameras is that you don't have a big expense of development costs. I hope this helps a little. If you have any other questions, you can msg me too.

norman, thanks for the tips. I already have the g5 on order. I work in a tech dept., and we have lots of toys. And the photographer works right across from my office so I've used his g2 a few times, and I fell in love. I was planning to get the g3, but ended up getting the g5 after using a friends. Unfortunately my photo guy across the hall got really ill, and is off from work, so I can't talk to him since I made the decision to get the camera.

This is something that's really just going to be a hobbie. I'll learn it at my own speed, do it in my spare time kinda thing. web sites are a great source of info, so the more I find, the better.

I've been looking at camera's since the g2 came out, so I had an idea as to what to look for concerning lenses and stuff.

i do my own photography because i am a free-lance graphic designer and feel that if i can offer that aspect along with design, it will make myself that much more valuable to a customer. Not a professional photographer but i can photochop anything and everything.

Photoshop wizard i am.

Back