Any photographers in here?

Taken at 35 degree temp and 60mph winds from approx. 50 yards away.

6316244756_275f9e1961_b.jpg

Mmmmm nice hawkeye :)

That lens is on my wish list. Unfortunately it is not very high.

Going to the Stuart Airshow Sleeper?

I'm going to try and make it down if I can work the early shift. Doesn't look like the best of lineups, so might not be too disappointed if I miss it...

That lens is on my wish list. Unfortunately it is not very high.

I'm seriously thinkin of getting rid of my 70-200 and using this instead.

Here's another photo from a contemporary dance piece from a dance studio I'm working with now.

6326439468_ce0d8ae9da_z.jpg

Last edited:
F4 or F2.8? My goal is to pick up a 70-200 this winter.

That Gretsch is beautiful! What's the reason for selling?

Lyon - They're good for what they are. Autocross is tough to shoot. I think people that weren't at the event don't have as much interest as people that would have been there, especially for people who's cars you shot. I know when I stumble on photos of myself autocrossing I'm like, "awesome!", but kinda ho-hum about all the rest. That's not to say they're bad shots, they're not at all. Do you have any flexibility in moving around the course? Find a popular cone that people are hitting, I've seen some of the photographers at our events get some cool shots that way.

Last edited:
@Lyon - move around, try different angles (low, high, behind something, in front...) that's the only way you can make it interesting for others, not just drivers who want to see themselves (and their cars). Autocross and drift are a lot easier for stuff like that, than drag racing.
Try to make paning shots, so the viewer can get a feeling of movement. There isnt enough of that in your pictures, but thats my point of view, yours maybe different.

Static

vs Moving

Also, find a little human side, that leaninig forward, maybe, made him win :)

I'm going to try and make it down if I can work the early shift. Doesn't look like the best of lineups, so might not be too disappointed if I miss it...

I'm hoping to be there Saturday (and hopefully parked near by for the Friday night show)

I was thinking about it... it's saturday, right? My wife is out of town this weekend, so I am bachin' it.

They had a pro photography team there so I couldn't get out onto the track. :( I have some panning shots, however they bother me and I'll tell you why: I've always been on a quest to get the sharpest possible pics and it's almost impossible to get a sharp panning shot.

For example here is one of my panning shots. I look at it and I want to see it sharper and it just isn't.

IMG_9407_wm by Lyonsroar91, on Flickr

Also here's a Mazda3 related one. He is a member on here...

IMG_9164_wm by Lyonsroar91, on Flickr

They had a pro photography team there so I couldn't get out onto the track. :( I have some panning shots, however they bother me and I'll tell you why: I've always been on a quest to get the sharpest possible pics and it's almost impossible to get a sharp panning shot.
Go with a higher f-stop f16-22, lower shutter speed and practice. I'm not sure if I posted here, but... Go on the street and take pictures of cars passing by, best practice IMHO.

I get frustrated with getting a good panning shot as well. I go to the track and take thousands of pictures only to end up with a few hundred if that which I think are acceptable.

4883583057_c0da1618d3_o.jpg

Back