Any photographers in here?

TheMAN said:
what's wrong with a rotating lens? shouldn't be a problem if you're holding the focus adjustment when taking shots

have you seen the rotating lens on the 18-55mm kit lens? it's tiny and pathetic. it's not hard to change the filter, it's just difficult to do it quickly.

i'm waiting to get a new lens anyways.... but i do agree with you that UV and polarizers do cut the light input a little, so you have to compensate.

New grill...

p5_grill3.jpg

TheMAN said:
what's wrong with a rotating lens? shouldn't be a problem if you're holding the focus adjustment when taking shots

It's a PITA to use a polarizer on a lens whose front element rotates while focusing. You need to re-adjust the polarizer every time you refocus.

Does anyone on here use 'aperture' for macs? I use photoshop cs 2 (pc guy) but this program looks cool, but I heard it isn't that good and it is pretty pricey. It also reminds me of Adobe Bridge.

Peace

http://www.apple.com/aperture/

I've used it. It's a nice program if you're starting in photography and it has great RAW support. However, I would still stick to photoshop if I can because I have more control of everything.

Jliao said:
I've used it. It's a nice program if you're starting in photography and it has great RAW support. However, I would still stick to photoshop if I can because I have more control of everything.

I have Aperture at work. but haven't used it enough to get the hang of it. I personally use the Adobe Bridge/Photoshop CS2 RAW workflow. Although I have been testing out Picasa2 by Google to see if I can make my images look different from CS2. CS2 has alot more control over Picasa, but Picasa is really easy to use.

Actually, let me re-phrase my statement. Aperture is a GREAT program with EXCELLENT RAW support (in a way it's better than CS2 I think). Particularly, with the new 1.1 update on Aperture (improvement on RAW and other misc. function) which has strenghten the Aperture functionality. I think it is a great program for anyone that's starting in the digital photography field and price is affordable (Apple recently gave a $200 coupon from $499 to $299, and $149 for academic) compare to CS2. However, in a general perspective I think you have more control of everything in CS2.

Now, I just need to find a way to update my Aperture to 1.1 so I can run it at native speed on my MacBook Pro. Chopstick, wanna get me a key? ^.^

BTW I'm the proud new owner of a Nikon D70s, with the 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 "kit" lens (in quotes because it's not really a "kit" lens, it's a $350 lens separately as opposed to most kit lenses which cost around $100 and for the most part only give mediocre results. However, the kit lens that Nikon bundles in the D50 kit, while being cheap, actually is quite good).

Next time I go for a shoot I'll be sure to post some of my results :)

Excellent.....

So, I just tried the Lighthouse. Everything seems very similiar to Aperture except it runs somewhat choppy on my Macbook pro. I suppose I'll just wait until the official release.

Last edited:
I've looked at Aperture... didnt give it much thought since I'm pretty partial to PS CS. All I generally do to my pics is adjust highlights/shadow (think that's a new feature to the CS version) and sometimes adjust color levels.

im a photographer.
i do work for the kansas city star, planning to attend hallmark institute of photography, i rock the nikon d70. i do stuff for school and i teach digital photography at my highschool.

word.

jersey_emt said:
BTW I'm the proud new owner of a Nikon D70s, with the 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 "kit" lens (in quotes because it's not really a "kit" lens, it's a $350 lens separately as opposed to most kit lenses which cost around $100 and for the most part only give mediocre results. However, the kit lens that Nikon bundles in the D50 kit, while being cheap, actually is quite good).

sweeet! i'm still waiting for mine to arrive... *tear*

HorsepowerFreak said:
I've looked at Aperture... didnt give it much thought since I'm pretty partial to PS CS. All I generally do to my pics is adjust highlights/shadow (think that's a new feature to the CS version) and sometimes adjust color levels.

I like to shoot in RAW mode so that i can get more control over all the settings, especially exposure. It's tough getting the exact exposure i want when i'm shooting. So working with CS2 to adjust the settings is really fun. I thought it would be a pain in the ass shooting RAW all the time, but now it's the only mode I use (unless i know i won't care about the image quality, for like quick snapshots or something).

jersey_emt said:

How are you liking the D70S? I went to Ritz camera today to get my hands on a Rebel XT and a D70S. I have to say I like the feel of the D70 and the 18-70mm Nikkor lens seems much better than the Canon 18-55mm. Plus, the shutter speed on the D70 evidently is nearly twice as fast as the Canon (at least that's what I was told). Before I went to Ritz today I was sure I was getting the Canon, but now I'm torn. It's mainly a price issue (and to a lesser extent, resolution issue). But I'm thinking that the better glass and faster shutter speeds of the Nikon should make up for the lower resolution. And I don't mind the price difference if I believe I'm getting a better camera (with the D70S). Any thoughts?

D70s all the way... i was like you i was gonna get a XT hands down until i got my hands on a D70s... then i was sold. As most of the reviews between the two cameras point out, resolution isnt everything, and in fact, its not much when you start comparing the two cameras. Despite the extra 2mp, in pretty much every review i read, the D70s outperformed the xt in picture clarity, etc, regardless of the resolution. Do you really need higher than 6.1mp? I doubt it...

What is the best way to shoot at night besides a tripod? Any tips or tricks when shooting? I can't get nice shots... :( If you shoot in manual, do you turn your aperture all the way up (less depth of field)?

Thanks!

night shooting:
-use tripod
-use LONGER exposure times (less aperature)
-don't shake the camera. period.
-eat at taco bell

Back