Any MS6 Problems?

mazda6gal said:
Can I ask a stupid ? what is glazing the clutch? Thanks

Michelle

Mirrorlike shine on the pressure plate = glazed clutch facing. Kinda like a glazed doughnut...LOL!

R

mazda6gal said:
Can I ask a stupid ? what is glazing the clutch? Thanks

Michelle

Not a stupid question at all. Clutch material is a semi-metallic compound that resembles brake pads to some extent. If you slip the clutch excessively (such as rev the engine, but don't let the clutch all the way out), the surface of the clutch gets really hot from friction, and basically starts to burn. Well, it doesn't burn, as in catch on fire, but its surface glazes over and no longer grips.

Replacement of the clutch is usually necessary, since the glaze can't be removed just by normal use.

Last edited:
CSVT said:
Werd, im gonna take it in again and tell them to check:

Clutch
Flywheel
Swaybar endlinks
Trans Mounts
Motor Mounts
Reflash ECU

CHATTER
is a shaking or shuddering that is felt in the vehicle as the clutch is engaged
usually occurs when the pressure plate first contacts the clutch disc
~ it stops when the clutch is fully engaged

to check for chatter:
~ start the engine
~ depress the clutch completely
~ shift the transmission into first gear
~ increase engine speed to about 1,500 rpm
~ slowly release the clutch pedal
~ check for chatter as the pedal begins to engage
~ do not release the pedal completely
~ as soon as the clutch is partially engaged, depress the clutch pedal
immediately
~ reduce engine speed to prevent damage to the clutch parts

chatter is usually caused by liquid leaking onto the clutch and contaminating its friction surfaces

> this results in a mirrorlike shine on the pressure plate or a glazed clutch
facing
> oil and clutch hydraulic fluid leak can occur at:
~ the engine rear main bearing seal
~ the transmission input shaft seal
~ the slave cylinder
~ the hydraulic line

> when the damaged parts are replaced, the cause of the leak must be
found and corrected

other causes of chatter include:
~ broken engine mounts
~ loose bell housing bolts
~ damaged clutch linkage
~ worn input shaft splines
~ warped pressure plate or flywheel
~ broken or weak torsional springs in the clutch disc
~ failure to resurface the flywheel when a new clutch disc or pressure plate is installed

Perhaps this is the problem you are experiencing. It may have happened when you did some quick accelerations, if you thought you were in first, but really were in third.

R

Keyless System?

Posting ID:
Model: Speed6 GT
Duration Owned: 2 Weeks
Mileage: 800
Mods: Stereo System
Fuel Octane Used: 93
Problem: My console keyless "key" blinker thingy (don't know exactly what to call it)... Has ALWAYS blinked red. I've never seen a green light on my dash ever since I tested or drove my car. But as far as I can tell the keyless system is running perfectly fine. Door buttons work, keyless start works... Remote windows work... Everything works. Anyone know why i'm not seeing a green light?
Conditions Under Which Problem Occurred: Always since I test drove it!
Steps Taken to Address Problem: I will bring it to the dealership once it gets outta the stereo shop.
Resolution of Problem:
Current Status: Still Red
Future Plans: Ask Dealership

So i took the car in again, turns out i had a plugged 02 sensor, they replaced it and now the car runs great.

PerfectXtreme said:
Posting ID:
Model: Speed6 GT
Duration Owned: 2 Weeks
Mileage: 800
Mods: Stereo System
Problem: My console keyless "key" blinker thingy (don't know exactly what to call it)... Has ALWAYS blinked red. I've never seen a green light on my dash ever since I tested or drove my car. But as far as I can tell the keyless system is running perfectly fine. Door buttons work, keyless start works... Remote windows work... Everything works. Anyone know why i'm not seeing a green light?
Conditions Under Which Problem Occurred: Always since I test drove it!
Steps Taken to Address Problem: I will bring it to the dealership once it gets outta the stereo shop.
Resolution of Problem:
Current Status: Still Red
Future Plans: Ask Dealership

Does the trunk button work?

Model: MS6 GT
Duration Owned: ~3 months
Mileage: 3500
Mods: None
Problem: Weak boost
Conditions Under Which Problem Occurred: Started about a month after purchase
Steps Taken to Address Problem: None so far
Resolution of Problem: N/A
Current Status: Existing problem
Future Plans: Take it into the shop

i'm new to this forum so i apologize if my knowledge of things is not up to par. so the problem i'm having seems to be similar to a post back in jan. the ms6 just doesn't seem to have that kick that it use to. compared to the first month of driving the car, it doesn't have that power anymore.. it seems slower. i'm not sure if this is because i drive the car everyday and i'm just getting use to it. or i have a problem with turbo and it's not boosting up as much as it use to. i really wish i had a boost gauge in the car so i can at least tell that it's boosting up to 15 psi. the first month that i had the car i would really feel the turbo kick in at ~3000rpms, especially in 2nd and 3rd gear. and now it still kicks at ~3000, but it's just less responsive and not as powerful. is anybody else having the same problem? any suggestions as to what i can check or should i just bring it to the shop?

I too am worried about my "boost" I mean the car is still pretty strong... 0-60 in no time flat.... soon as i take off... look down.. i'm goin 60-70....

But... for 274 hp... Seems a bit... Sluggish... Like on the freeway... goin 60-70... i'll see an open strech.. drop it to 5th.... and the car goes... i see myself moving past people... but i don't feel the turbo kick in much... or really pull on me...

I seem to remember... and I'd expect to feel the car pull on me a lot more... at over 3500 rpms...

I'm going to arrange some Boost Guages... Oil pressure / Temp... all that junk... Nice to know whats goin on with your car as you drive... Only problem.. finding a place for em...

The Speed6... all 6's probably... don't have much room for interior mods... no pop-pannes... and drilling is never your friend...

tyrellebo said:
. . . .

the ms6 just doesn't seem to have that kick that it use to. compared to the first month of driving the car, it doesn't have that power anymore.. it seems slower. i'm not sure if this is because i drive the car everyday and i'm just getting use to it. or i have a problem with turbo and it's not boosting up as much as it use to. i really wish i had a boost gauge in the car so i can at least tell that it's boosting up to 15 psi. the first month that i had the car i would really feel the turbo kick in at ~3000rpms, especially in 2nd and 3rd gear. and now it still kicks at ~3000, but it's just less responsive and not as powerful. is anybody else having the same problem? any suggestions as to what i can check or should i just bring it to the shop?

Wikipedia: "Addiction is often characterized by a craving for more of the drug or behavior, increased physiological tolerance to exposure, and withdrawal symptoms in the absence of the stimulus." I, too, am suffering from acceleration addiction. I, too, am thinking I need a boost gauge, to verify that I am getting the same acceleration fix from my Speed. What's next, robbing convenience stores to get money to get a BOV, a less restrictive exhaust system, a cold air intake? Where will it end? Is the Speed a "gateway" vehicle leading me to harder and harder accelerating vehicles? Will I bankrupt my family to buy a Ferrari? (boom07)

I don't know the answer, but I do know that the first step to recovery is to acknowledge the problem and stop blaming the drug, I mean the Speed. Stock Speeds with the same number of miles as ours are still turning in 13.7 second quarter miles in the hands of amateur drivers. Face it gentlemen, our Speeds haven't changed, we have! (I'm still going to get a boost gauge, though, just to make sure . . . . :) )

yea i think i'll install a boost gauge. seems like a good first step to take. perfectxtreme, after you install your gauges, can you let me know if you find any problems? thx.

tyrellebo said:
yea i think i'll install a boost gauge. seems like a good first step to take. perfectxtreme, after you install your gauges, can you let me know if you find any problems? thx.

I'm still doing a lot of research about everything... And I need to find someone / some place... that will do a good job with a guage console / mount... And accurate installs...

I don't want my speed looking like every other rice honda runnin around with huge guages everywhere...

Wierd sound.

Model: MS6 GT
Duration Owned: ~1 month
Mileage: 1.5k
Mods: None
Problem: Down-shift clunk
Conditions Under Which Problem Occurred: Down shift from 3rd to 2nd to take an exit
Steps Taken to Address Problem: questioning the guru's here
Resolution of Problem: N/A
Current Status: One time
Future Plans: praying it isn't the tranny

I was getting on the highway on a right turn. downshifted from 3rd to 2nd and there was a loud clunk that I felt as well as heard. Maybe I clutched out wrong. Any ideas?(glare)

I slammed my breaks on hard one day... it was makin a squeak.. figured that might fix it... ended up makin a loud metal clunk... and... since then i've noticed every once in a while when i break.. or shift.. i hear the same thing... if I keep noticing it... i'm gonna take the car in and say "fix it bitches"..

PerfectXtreme said:
I slammed my breaks on hard one day... it was makin a squeak.. figured that might fix it... ended up makin a loud metal clunk... and... since then i've noticed every once in a while when i break.. or shift.. i hear the same thing... if I keep noticing it... i'm gonna take the car in and say "fix it bitches"..

Nice attitude.

You have a problem with my attitude? Tell you what.. go to Salem Power Mazda dealership... talk with.. and work with them for a few weeks... and come back to me...

Being lied to left and right... but it being "legal" as nothing is in writing... For example... "We've been using 92 in all our performance models"... In reality they fill all vehicles from the dealership pump... including mine... which is 87...

Battery unplugged for a few hours during stereo installed... windows stop working... installer and I skimmed the manual... didn't see anything at first.. took it in to ask... They wouldn't spend a second... and soonest appointment was... I think 2-3 weeks later... Eventually figured it out though...

I could go on.. and on... but for the money dished out on this vehicle... I feel I have a right for it to work right... no problems.. and any problems that come up... to be fixed... I have a feeling if there is a recall... or a ECU flash... something along those lines... I'll hear nothing of it.. unless i remail active in the MS6 forums / net community...

Damn, the Tech's at the dealership didn't do anything wrong to you and you call them bitches. They didn't build your car man.

they didn't but they are bitches!!! I hate the dealer!!! i just hate it!!!

Weren't the techs talking to me... I wish I could talk to techs... its the dumbass' at the front desk... who schedule the appointments... or look up part numbers and flip through the manuals... The 2 guys I was able to talk with... knew nothing about Mazdaspeed6... The keyless system... the window programming... Any options available for order...

Anyway... Apparently I hit a sore subject with you... Work in a dealership by chance? I never complain about bad fries at McDonalds... Never ask for new food if it isn't perfect... and I always tip.. no matter how bad my waitress may be...

I was more "joking" with my comment... but as far as cars go... i've been thrown around a lot.. Hell i paid 34,000 for it... People are saying they got fully loaded GT with nav.. for 28-30... and it came with hooker in the back seat....

"Apparently" i got ripped out... however I shopped around a tun... and think most people are full of s***... or trying to sound "cool" when they post sale prices... I paid a lot for the car... i've gotten little to no service from the dealership... And its the dealership i'll pimpslap till i get my way... Its almost impossible to see mechanics at a dealership... If they let you work with them.. things would be a lot easier...

Back