Any Known Waterleaks on P5's

Shasta

Contributor
:
2003 Pro5
I was going through my car today, just checking things out and put my hand under the carpet on the passenger and drivers seats, you the the factory slices in the carpet and low and bohold the underlay is completely soaked, not just wet but soaked. The cars never been in an accident and to hte best of my knowledge never had a windshield. Its still under warranty till Apr 08 with 67K but not sure if this is covered to bring it in.

Are there any known areas to look at? Tailights maybe over flowing. THe carpet is wet in the fornt and back on both sides.

With it being so cold its difficult to get in there but I removed the passenger seat and put some paint can tops under neath to hold up hte carpet and stuffed the rear heater vent under the carpet for now.:(

wierd.... I left my windows open on a really moist night in florida and thats the worst my car has ever gotten wet on the inside and still it was fine and smell free the next day after air drying... vacuuming your car has got to be the single best air freshening thing you can do to your car, 03' and people still think it feels brand new when they sit in it

sorry to tell you that that is you heater core hope its still under warranty cause thats an expensive fix

mymp5 said:
sorry to tell you that that is you heater core hope its still under warranty cause thats an expensive fix

Not the heater core, the water is clear it's not anti freeze. There is no smell and the driveway is on an angle, could be a stopped up sunroof drain, will check it out thoroughly tomorrow.

ive never had a water leak problem with mine. the bottoms of my driver and passenger door are makin spots on my EL door sills though, and i saw where its comin from so hopefully i can do somethin about that, but it doesnt seem to be cuz of water. i left ALL the windows open one night and it poured down rain, thats about as soaked as my interior has ever gotten.

Most cars are not 100% waterproof from underneath. Its good enough for most puddles and whatnot but if you drove through some real deep puddles or parked somewhere where the water got a little deep. I dont live in the snow so i dont know how that might affect things...could deep snow melting cause water accumulation underneath?

Im probably wrong, but its something to think about. My girlfriend's (now wifes) car was parked on the street a couple years back and it just poured rain all night. when we woke up her car was up to the rockers in water. it hadnt gone up to the door sills yet but water had crept in from underneath and gotten the carpet wet under the front seats like youre describing.

redpr5 said:
ive never had a water leak problem with mine. the bottoms of my driver and passenger door are makin spots on my EL door sills though, and i saw where its comin from so hopefully i can do somethin about that, but it doesnt seem to be cuz of water. i left ALL the windows open one night and it poured down rain, thats about as soaked as my interior has ever gotten.

gotta take a cloth after you wash the car and open the doors and use the cloth on the door and door frame to dry it

DeadGeneration said:
gotta take a cloth after you wash the car and open the doors and use the cloth on the door and door frame to dry it
yea i dried everything out, this was a few months ago btw, but yea i dried off all the doors and then when i got home i steam cleaned everything and then let it dry.

Well its completey gutted now and its not going back together till I find the leak(s). I noticed a small quarter sized puddle under the spare tire cover on the passenger side and of course all the underlay is wet but the metal, bolts, brackets are still like brand new in the interior so it may have just leaking after buying the car and the angle the car sits in the driveway.

Only damaged the driver's side rear sill plate, snapped off one of the tabs so will have to replace it. Actually going to go back to the dealership where I just bought it and see if they can swing a new plate and carpet kit under warranty. I'm actually surprised at this car's condition its like taking a brand new car apart.

I used to think cars were alot more water tight than they really but after I started working on them and pulling them apart I realize they aren't

I'm wondering if this could be a possibility. I've been outside for over an hour washing my car, not a drop inside. Now this has been one of the first days to above freezing and I'm a fanatic about washing my car. I'm sure this could be a real possibility, since its been so cold and when I've been washing the car its actually freezing on the car as I wash it the sills have been getting filled with water and the sill drains were frozen causing the water to over flow under the carpet which would make sense why all 4 floor locations are wet. There is no smell and this is definitely something that is new not since the car was purchased. The last owner kept it in the garage so he would have never had the problem.

Lets see I've had the car for about what 3 or so weeks and I've washed it almost every second day. Do you think while I'm driving it around with no seats and carpet I should pick up that B-Quiet stuff and put it down on the floor?

Last edited:
Check the rear left well in the hatch (behind the wheelwell). Mine will gather water (not a lot) and i keep it in check by stuffng a sponge down there and checking after a good rain. Theory is a tail light seal.

P-Funk! said:
Check the rear left well in the hatch (behind the wheelwell). Mine will gather water (not a lot) and i keep it in check by stuffng a sponge down there and checking after a good rain. Theory is a tail light seal.

(mswerd) mine had a little puddle there too.. i just RTVd the tail light seals while i had the lights out (the wiring harness seal, the 3 stud seals, and that plastic stub seal..) and it hasnt leaked since and it was a pretty good amount of rain the past few days/nights.. tube of RTV is like 4 bucks, so its a cheap fix.. 10MM deep socket, 3" (or 6" is ideal) extension, long nose pliers in case your weary about dropping a nut ( (rofl) couldnt say that without laughing) and the RTV.. and ur done.. dont go overboard with the stuff tho.. a little bit on the seal, a little bit on the car around the mounting holes, and thats it..

Well so far so good but will keep the interior out for a week or so till I'm 100% confident, obviously just over doing the washing in freezing conditions. But none in that little well you speak of. I'm going to try and get that interior material for noise.

Back