Any Considerations??????

Ive been reading on here how besides the MSP, people were considering the SRT-4, V6 Tiburon, or the Spec-V, but what about the Volkswagon Golf turbo??? The Golf turbo was my other consideration besides the MSP...Anyone else consider that car????? Feel Free To Post. (mspblack)

i thought about the 20th anniversary gti, but decided it was lacking in a few areas. i really like the 337's though, and if they were available new when i was looking for a car i probably would have bought one of those, but the 20th anniversary i just didn't like as much

The Golf's an excellent car, probably better overall quality than the MSP, but close. Actually, I'd compare the MSP more closely with the Jetta, as both are sedans, but since the Golf and Jetta are interchangable save for the rear doors, headlights, and trunk, I'll compare to the Golf:

Golf wins:
- Better engineered: No clunk, hesitation, or funky reset-every-4-months radio, no aftermarket turbo, engineered by Germans.
- POWER!!! That 1.8T is a fantastic little engine and for very little jing you're pushing upwards of 220 reliable hp.
- more a boulevardier/high speed cruiser than the MSP's more sprint/autocross nature
- Interior fit-and-finish that sets the standard for the compact class
- Blue lighting on the instruments (the MSP's are darn near invisible at dusk)
- Hatchback versatility - with no 450W-decalled subwoofer getting in the way

Golf loses:
- Blue lighting on the instruments - too showy for some
- More pricey (but a good dollar to value ratio)
- Engineered by Germans, but built in Mexico - not *quite* the quality of the German cars (i.e. Passat), but that said is VERY very close (build quanity was an issue in the late 80's and early/mid 90's, but is not much of an issue now).
- Softer suspension, needs upgrading from the dealership unless you want a highway/high speed cruiser and not a conekiller.
- Not *quite* as good a sound system (even the monsoon). Good, but not AS good.
- That darn 1.8T drive-by-wire throttle: more throttle lag and a slow engine rev-down-between-shifts.
- Hatchback looks
- No 450W subwoofer to go "thump"

Admittedly, the aftermarket can take care of a lot, and the MSP sub may not be the best, but all-for-all they're pretty close, just depends on what you're looking for! I've been a VW nut (and been able to drive) for longer than many on this forum have been on the planet, and I still bought the MSP over the VW... there's not a VW in the family anymore save for Father's Jetta VR6 - a great cruising car but too grown up for 40+year-old me. If they had the GLI for a good price that would've probably won me over, but it was too pricey so I'm MSP'n - and loving it.

I thought about a GTI or even going to a slower but more "efficient" TDI Golf.

Advantage -
More room than MSP
Cruise Control
More stuff already out there in terms of aftermarket.
Creature comfort and bling bling stuff that MSP didn't have.
Easily chipped for mad power gain.
Stock internal is good for lots of power.
No engine problem if you like the electrical throttle cable.
No clunk

Disadvantage -
Suspension- solid rear axle suspension.
GTI 1.8T has a leaky bpv that is something need to be upgrade from like the Audi TT 1.8.
Stock stereo system
Faulty electrical system.
The shortest warranty in the industry 3/36k miles.
No titanium grey
Suspension did I say suspension?

Also about other comparison, did anyone thought about getting a Mini?

I traded in my 2003 VW GTI 1.8T @7477 miles three weeks ago for a laser blue mica MSP. Personally, I KNOW the GTI is much faster (esp. with an APR chip) and also the overall quality is a bit better, BUT when it come to reliability it sucks. My GTI has been in the dealership for about 2 months of total calander days for repairs (1 tranny rebuilt, 1 tranny replaced, 1 dead monsoon radio). Then the dealership had the balls to lie about my powertrain warranty being canceled. TRUST me, if you want less headaches go w/ some other company.

Plus if you look at the Jd power rating, roughly 75 out of 100 cars from VW need to be repaired for something vs 35 (?) for mazda.

MSP is a much better balanced car...

hope this helps

p.s. also go to forums.vwvortex.com and get more info there. Do some searches there...they have plenty of info. also check under my posts there if you want more info about my problems with VW. (username kekela98a)

Last edited:
i was thinkin about a '01-'02 gti because the new models are out of my price range, but after seeing the repair troubles and fact that german cars are expensive to repair to begin with, plus the fact i got my msp for the price of a used gti, obviously took me to my msp :)

ok...some of the points made here are true...and some are false. i love my car...just wanted to set a few things straight.

JRED321...huh?

"i thought about the 20th anniversary gti, but decided it was lacking in a few areas. i really like the 337's though, and if they were available new when i was looking for a car i probably would have bought one of those, but the 20th anniversary i just didn't like as much"

++ the 20th AE and the 337 are virtually identical with the differences being: 1. paint color 2. different style 18" wheels 3. 20th AE had joey modded headlights. 4. badging
other than those little differences, they are the same.

----------------------------............................,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

PING...you said this in the cons of the GTI 1.8T...

- Not *quite* as good a sound system (even the monsoon). Good, but not AS good.

++in my opinion...the monsoon sucks. its not even close...if you are an audiophile, you will NOT be pleased with the Monsoon.

YuYuRena...3 negatives...

-GTI 1.8T has a leaky bpv that is something need to be upgrade from like the Audi TT 1.8.

++ the factory dv on the car is fine...until you chip your car. then there are a few choices...

-The shortest warranty in the industry 3/36k miles.

++its actually 4 years...50.000 miles

-No titanium grey

++true...but we have silverstone grey...which is pretty close and looks awesome.

------------------------------...............................,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Ryoga28
++sorry you had so many problems with your car. i have had a couple of problems with my GTI as well...but nothing major like you are describing. the whole 'built in mexico thing' does seem like a downer...some people do expirience problems, while others have trouble-free expiriences.

To Excitmnt94,
The GTI is a good car and I still miss mine, but I guess I lucked out. I actually did have a very legit case for a lemon (talked to a lemon law lawyer), but I just don't have the time nor energy to fight with VWoa. I hope you enjoy your GTI.

REgarding the diverter valve. A lot of peep on the tex had good results with the j version of the OEM valve.

Excitmnt94 said:
ok...some of the points made here are true...and some are false. i love my car...just wanted to set a few things straight.

JRED321...huh?

"i thought about the 20th anniversary gti, but decided it was lacking in a few areas. i really like the 337's though, and if they were available new when i was looking for a car i probably would have bought one of those, but the 20th anniversary i just didn't like as much"

++ the 20th AE and the 337 are virtually identical with the differences being: 1. paint color 2. different style 18" wheels 3. 20th AE had joey modded headlights. 4. badging
other than those little differences, they are the same.
yes, those were the few areas it was lacking in ;)
i never said anything about performance. i love the silver of the 337's, the wheels, the red calipers peaking out(maybe different brakes than the 20th av, but i'm not sure, i never looked too much into it), and the sweet interior (i'm not sure if the 20th av has that, i thought it was just regular gti interior). the 337 is a gorgeous car, and the wheels of the 20th anniversary are hideous. i just really like the 337, the 20th av is ok but the 337 is a sexy car, one of my bro's friends has one and i love it every time it's over.

Back