Any audiophiles out there?

Jwurm12

:
2014 Mazda 2
I'm about to get an amp from a buddy and I am looking for setup tips and suggestions.

The amp is an MTX in the 500watt range I believe.

I want to run a single 12", probably with a ported box for the extra bass. Looking for suggestions on what sub would be the best bang for my buck.

Also, should I point the sub towards my back seat or my trunk?

I'm in the DFW area if anyone has a hookup, My budget for the sub and box is around the 200-250 range.

Thanks in advance.

I have 2 12" MTX subs that I got a couple years back and I switched to a ported box and didn't like it at all, thought it was suppose to be more bass but I guess not the kind of base I was thinking of, I guess for the type of music and base I like the sealed box provided more of a thud, chest pounding bass, I also noticed the same thing when I installed my brothers 10" in his car with a "ported bandwidth" or whatever it is called

I also experimented with them facing the seat and facing the back of the trunk, found out that if you give them more room infront of them, they hit harder, also I love to drive around with my back seats down, because then the air REALLY gets flowing and it is that much louder.. so face them towards the back, as far as types of subs, I couldn't tell you, I haven't looked at subs in a couple years, mine have been going strong for about...3+ years now

I'm about to get an amp from a buddy and I am looking for setup tips and suggestions.

The amp is an MTX in the 500watt range I believe.

I want to run a single 12", probably with a ported box for the extra bass. Looking for suggestions on what sub would be the best bang for my buck.

Also, should I point the sub towards my back seat or my trunk?

I'm in the DFW area if anyone has a hookup, My budget for the sub and box is around the 200-250 range.

Thanks in advance.

Is it a mono amplifier or 2 channel?

There are a lot of MTX subs that come with matching boxes and are cheaper than buying everything separate. For MTX I would say go with a TR4512D or the TR5512D. The TR55 will hold up to 600 watts RMS so if the amp is only 500 peak, I would go with the TR45 for a better match.

ya remember to match the RMS, not the peak watts, I was confused about that for a while when I was getting my first subs a couple years ago

I have been thinking about Alpines, I have an alpine head unit and I'm a slight fanboy of their stuff anyways.

The amp is dual channel. I'm gonna try to get it from him this weekend, then I can give a little more info on it.

Just got the Amp, it is a Thunder6500d, I did some research and the Alpine Type R 12" would be a good match as long as I wire it for 2 ohm.

I think I understand how to do this, but to clarify, I would wire each speaker outlet to the two speaker inputs on the sub... is that correct?

Lastly anyone out there with the Alpine type R, is it better in a sealed or ported box?

Just went up to cartoys, got a few answers and I am going back in a couple hours to pick up my 12"typeR.

Yes it is a Monoblock.

nice, but before you get the ported box, I would suggest just buying it or something like that so you can return in encase you don't like the sound type.. I don't know what kind of music you like, but like I said before when I went from the sealed to the ported I couldn't "feel" the thump and the actual base like I use to with the sealed which is what I really like, I guess ported is more for rock/metal kinda stuff?.. from what I have heard, either way I personally liked the sealed much better, but just saying I would test it out before getting something you can't return

That's what I did, I have a sealed box right now, loving it, probably won't bother with the ported box.

Back