Another V6 in a third gen thread.

2litrePRO

:
2001 Protege ES 2.0
EDIT: Different video, better explanation.

Except this one runs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7YvAXYVQCQ

ENJOY!

So heres the deal its 01 ES. I used to own a 93 MX-3 GS with a 1.8 litre K8 engine. The MX3 needed a bunch of work and the rockers and floor were starting to get really really rusted so i decided it was time to junk the car. I kept pretty much everything but the body of the car. KLZE swaps are a dime a dozen in the MX3 and is basically a bolt in. I figured I was in the perfect position to attempt the KLZE swap into a BJ chassis protege. The components I needed from the MX3 were the transmission, half-shaft (the outer MX3 V6 axles and protege axles are the same), complete engine wiring harness, ecu, fuel pump relay, flywheel and starter. The next step was the engine I ordered a complete curved neck KLZE engine from tiger japanese. I also ordered a set of headers and a new exedy clutch for it. All of the protege mounts fit the KL engine and mx3 trans perfect. The holes are all there some are just not used in the mx3 and they just needed a tap ran through them because they were corroded. I then ran the MX3 harness inline with the FSDE harness. Essentially everything that plugs into the FSDE is not used. The only parts you keep are what goes to the fuse box and what goes to the alternator/starter. I plugged the entire MX3 harness into the KLZE then lowered the motor in the car ran the wires through the firewall and plugged them into the MX3 ecu. You really only need to run a few wires. One wire is the fuel pump power wire needs to be run off the MX3 relay. PCM power, Keep Alive Power and distributor power wires need a 12v source. Thats essentially it.

Last edited:
Right on well once i get my car all sorted out you'll probably see me rippin around your end of the road.

I look forward to it. I need to find myself a donor for a 5spd swap before i do any real ripping around.

Back