Another Slow MSP College Budget Build

cool. i'm sure you'll enjoy the quiet rear end over bumps and what not lol. was the first mod i ever purchased -the axr clunk fix
Anything is better than no bushings. I can slam the rear sway bar between the mounts in the back. LOL! I always wondered why there was such a loud clunk from the rear end. haha. I finally crawled underneath to check the bushings...that are no longer there. Oh the things you learn as a you grow up. I'm just glad I have such an interest in automotive stuff.

Anything is better than no bushings. I can slam the rear sway bar between the mounts in the back. LOL! I always wondered why there was such a loud clunk from the rear end. haha. I finally crawled underneath to check the bushings...that are no longer there. Oh the things you learn as a you grow up. I'm just glad I have such an interest in automotive stuff.

yeah it definitely comes in handy.

Last edited:
Pretty successful day yesterday. I got my intake on, and also mounted the brackets and bushings.

Had to get creative with this part; the PO cut it off and I don't have a FMIC yet so it had to be re-attached.

Also, pretty disapointed with these brackets...they are rubbing my lateral bars on both sides. Now I have to figure out how to fix that.....

Thinking about getting a set of new wheels. I like this style alot, and this is a pretty good price. What do you guys think?
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/product/wheels/t_20110624.mbmwea.br.xl.jpg

I finally sold the stock spoiler (03). Got a fair deal for it, only to have UPS shatter it during shipping. Go figure. I don't get full sale price for it, because I didn't put extra insurance on it? What's up with that? "Hey we broke your stuff because we're careless, but we won't refund you totally." What a crock.

are your lateral links bent?
I do not believe that they are bent. Visually they look fine, and holding a straight edge to them, it touches the whole time. Maybe I just don't have the best tools to test that out, but they seem fine to me. However, they're old and rusty so maybe it's worth a shot at replacing I guess.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123836924-GB-Rear-Sway-Bar-Relocation-Brackets
Following the picture shown by CR3, I think I have them right. I used the drain hole to try and match it up. I could be interpreting the picture wrong though.
Here's another picture to help out. You can see the drain hole (if that's what it even is) on the left side of the screen towards the middle.

Last edited:
Yeah it looks like you installed it backwards, the bushing bracket should be parallel to the ground. MSPs do have a beefier rear subframe due to the larger swaybar.

Thanks guys, I will fix that tomorrow morning. Weird it fits fine both ways...I even double checked CR3's group buy pictures.
Also, my passenger side rear caliper has seized up. I'm going to replace both soon, but do any of you know if I can just get direct replacements from somewhere like O'Reilly Auto? I thought I remember seeing somewhere that there was a brake upgrade or something. I haven't really looked into it I guess.

Thanks guys, I will fix that tomorrow morning. Weird it fits fine both ways...I even double checked CR3's group buy pictures.
Also, my passenger side rear caliper has seized up. I'm going to replace both soon, but do any of you know if I can just get direct replacements from somewhere like O'Reilly Auto? I thought I remember seeing somewhere that there was a brake upgrade or something. I haven't really looked into it I guess.

I saw the pictures and it appears they are all on P5's. The bigger sway bar plus the slightly different subframe on the MSP's probably causes it to rub. I like the Idea of these brackets though. I'm going to have to make something like them for mine.

Also, 1st generation Mazda6 brakes are a bolt on upgrade in the front, the rear bolts on but the e-brake cables don't work.

Also, 1st generation Mazda6 brakes are a bolt on upgrade in the front, the rear bolts on but the e-brake cables don't work.

That's what I had thought, at least for the front. I didn't know that about the rear though. I like being able to use my e-brake so I will stick with the OE replacements. Thanks.

Finally got the 03.5 spoiler painted today. It turned out wonderfully, especially for only $70 (paint, clear, and labor). Plus he said I will get another "free" paint job when I find an 03.5 front lip to get. I just have to buy the paint again. Hoping to get this installed sometime soon, I just need to either find a trunk with no holes drilled in the top, or get the ones I have patched.

Man, who buys a turbo car the puts a fake scoop on it lol...actually.. in my city I know who would.. lel. Good work so far.

Wow, it has been a while since I have posted to this thread. I have since gotten the 03.5 spoiler installed, and the trunk holes have been filled.

Also, I bought a pillar pod for boost and oil pressure gauges. I painted this and have installed it with a cheap (Equis) boost gauge that I'm not even sure is accurate. I need some quality product. Also included in that deal was the mysterious 03.5 MSP front lip. Yeah, suck it. That will be painted and installed next spring. I also acquired some OE pedal covers since the PO thought blue light up Walmart pedal covers were cool...

Back