another new guy thinking about it thread... clutch and head removers

mc888

:
1998 Civic EX
Hi yep, another new guy thinking about getting a Mazda3. Test drove the skyactiv 3i Touring last night. It's definitely a good car, but has some problems that make it NOT fun to drive. Found a lot of stuff online from people who feel the same way and wanted to directly ask some owners how they got around these.

1) Head Removers. Couldn't even sit in the car long enough to start it up. The salesman removed the headrest and flipped it around backwards so it didn't take my head off. Then it felt like there was no headrest at all. I know this has become a common problem on many cars since about 2007, and will cause many drivers permanent injury to their neck. Any solution to these ridiculous decapitation units? Is there an aftermarket replacement available? Or do you all just recline the seat while driving so you sit like a shlub on the couch?

2) The MT hydraulic clutch and gearbox are great, but the clutch pedal is WAAAAY too high. Both the pedal height and engagement point. This might fool some kids driving their first manual, but I've been driving manual for over 20 years. I'm used to a stiff clutch that engages about 2" off the floor. This pedal will have my knee in the air for hours while sitting in traffic. Anybody try lowering their pedal action? Any mechanical risk to doing so?

To get around the 2nd one, I suppose I could try test driving the AT. I've read some good things about it. But I've never met an AT that shifts when it's supposed to.
And if I can't come up with a solution for the 1st problem it won't matter. Can't drive a car I can't sit in.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Welcome!! If your finances permit you should take a look at the MAZDASPEED 3. Your clutch issues are certainly addressed and the headrest are different as well.

I came from a 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 (excellent car, but gas and insurance was killing me) and now have the '12 Skyactiv hatch with the six-speed manual. The differences between the two cars in terms of clutch engagement and shifting are definitely night and day. I actually could drive either car, really. It just really depends on how I wish to drive a particular day... hahaha. Unfortunately, saving money ruled out keeping the Speed around.

I've had my new car for over four months now with absolutely no complaints other than the factory-equipped Bridgestone Turanza tires. I can't stress enough how terrible these tires are, especially for such a capable car like the Mazda 3. Hard as a rock, not enough grip at all, squeaky even during the slightest maneuvers... I could go on.

If you do go the Skyactiv route and you enjoy driving, do yourself a favor and ditch those tires immediately. They are that awful.

Back