Another clutch thread? Yes. ACT vs SPEC vs ... ?

So, my clutch is toast. I dont even want to take it on the freeway. Slips at like 3000 in 3rd, 4th, 5th... with even the slightest throttle input.

I'm out of warranty and do not really want an OEM setup.

Ive been looking at the ACT ZX4-HDSS (Street clutch) and their ZX4-HDG6 (6-puck sprung). These include flywheel and all the goodies and I can get it for around $670.

I have not searched that much regarding SPEC clutches (maybe 5 threads?) but they were all mixed opinions.

I also heard on a few forums the Fidanza flywheels are improperly balanced and their fasteners (GRADE 10 !!!!!! !?!?!?!!? (pukey)) come loose.

I'm not looking to make any massive upgrades to this car, so I'm not sure the extra holding power of the 6-puck is necessary. But, if it isnt that harsh/noisey, it is a cheaper option and I am all for it. Labor is looking like ~$1000 at most places (SF Bay Area anyone?).

Anyone have any input? Otherwise I'm going to pull the trigger on the ACT Street clutch setup.

Any help is appreciated

So, my clutch is toast. I dont even want to take it on the freeway. Slips at like 3000 in 3rd, 4th, 5th... with even the slightest throttle input.

I'm out of warranty and do not really want an OEM setup.

Ive been looking at the ACT ZX4-HDSS (Street clutch) and their ZX4-HDG6 (6-puck sprung). These include flywheel and all the goodies and I can get it for around $670.

I have not searched that much regarding SPEC clutches (maybe 5 threads?) but they were all mixed opinions.

I also heard on a few forums the Fidanza flywheels are improperly balanced and their fasteners (GRADE 10 !!!!!! !?!?!?!!? (pukey)) come loose.

I'm not looking to make any massive upgrades to this car, so I'm not sure the extra holding power of the 6-puck is necessary. But, if it isnt that harsh/noisey, it is a cheaper option and I am all for it. Labor is looking like ~$1000 at most places (SF Bay Area anyone?).

Anyone have any input? Otherwise I'm going to pull the trigger on the ACT Street clutch setup.

Any help is appreciated

Well i dont own a MS6 but does a MSP fully built, With over 474whp, Go with ACT Extreme Pressure Plate and Street Performance Clucth Disk, That Combo Will hold what ever you trow at it, it will last long, It will be 100 % Streetable just like OEM and it will not chatter.., and if you add Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel will make overall simply unbeatable Trust me ACT makes best clucth out there.... 6 Puck Sprung Racing Disk will be a little to much for you, even tho is not harsh

Last edited:
I would go with the ACT ZX4-HDSS. Works great for daily driving without the chatter of the puck clutch.

We have nothing but happy customers which have used it.

-Derrick

Clutch

I'd go ACT all the way or even centerforce if you can get one. I'd go with a clutch similar to stock, and make sure it got a nice strong pressure plate. If you're going with racing only then I'd go with a 4 or 6 puck clutch.

How may mile were on the car when the clutch went out.

I am having clutchs made. I can get you a clutch to meet your needs that is higher quality than both SPEC crap and ACT.

PM me for details.

The spec clutches have a sketchy rep over in the Ls1 world as well. The ACT clutches are pretty decent. I had an ACT SS/HD in my Rx7 back in the day, and it was pretty good.
-a

Back