Another Boosted MSP!

yllowmsp35

:
Mazdaspeed Protege
Ordered my boostscience boostcontroller , got it, Come to find out it doesnt work. So i send them an email about it, they are going to completely refund me and give me a free new one. Anyways, im not using there product, i am using an air control valve from an air compressor and it works PERFECT, 13 bucks from Grainger. 9 psi is fun, 15 was crazy(accidental) ; )

BTW: whats up with the boost spike?!?!?

yllowmsp35 said:
Ordered my boostscience boostcontroller , got it, Come to find out it doesnt work. So i send them an email about it, they are going to completely refund me and give me a free new one. Anyways, im not using there product, i am using an air control valve from an air compressor and it works PERFECT, 13 bucks from Grainger. 9 psi is fun, 15 was crazy(accidental) ; )

BTW: whats up with the boost spike?!?!?
Boost spike is a quick surge of boost that happens quite often with MBC's. . A EBC will help to eliminate almost all spike. Spiking can be dangerous, especially if your car is flashed.

Yeah mine made it up to about 14psi when my the wastegate vacuum line cracked...it was a lot of fun for the 0.7 seconds before I hit fuel cut and realized what happened.

jersey_emt said:
Yeah mine made it up to about 14psi when my the wastegate vacuum line cracked...it was a lot of fun for the 0.7 seconds before I hit fuel cut and realized what happened.
Yeah, I felt that once, hit 15 psi and god damn...thought my wastegate line cracked, but actually some dumbass (me) put my boost controller on backwards.

bah, you people suck, i hit 17 when i over tuned my MBC. I was like wow the caris pulling hard, well 17psi, niiice.

Then, i turned it down.

Boost Spike- Basically, an MBC restricts air flow to the wastegate, delaying when it opens and bleeds exhaust gas away from the turbine. Simply put our turbo spools so fast, that the all of a sudden the turbo makes alot of boost, and the wastegate simply cant open and bleed off the exhaust fast enough, causing a quick spike as the turbo spins higher.

An electronic boost controller is solenoid operated and actually opens the restriction to the wastegate a fraction of a second before the desired boost is reached, eliminating the spike before it happens.

Boost Spike can be harmful, but a very short spike really doesnt do much.

KyRaceFan said:
Boost Spike- Basically, an MBC restricts air flow to the wastegate, delaying when it opens and bleeds exhaust gas away from the turbine. Simply put our turbo spools so fast, that the all of a sudden the turbo makes alot of boost, and the wastegate simply cant open and bleed off the exhaust fast enough, causing a quick spike as the turbo spins higher.

An electronic boost controller is solenoid operated and actually opens the restriction to the wastegate a fraction of a second before the desired boost is reached, eliminating the spike before it happens.

Mine will spike to about 9psi some times. I don't have a boost controller on yet. Just the exhaust. Hell, I'm having so much fun with the new turboback, I may not even need to boost.

d_stickney said:
Mine will spike to about 9psi some times. I don't have a boost controller on yet. Just the exhaust. Hell, I'm having so much fun with the new turboback, I may not even need to boost.
Yeah that's my plan as well. I'm at stock boost, and was lucky enough to be blessed with stock boost level of 8psi.

Just doing airflow mods for now until my warranty is expired, or I feel comfortable enough that nothing major is going to go wrong. Intake + hardpipes + upgraded SMIC + downpipe + catback should net close to 200WHP.

I dunno how you people hit 15, 17, etc. without fuel cutting constantly...I can't even come close to 15 without fuel cut (usually right before 12 or so) - of course I stay right around 9-10 anyway, but would like to turn it up now and again...mmmm, guess it'll be a fcd after all....I am flashed though, so staying safely at 9-10 works...especially w/other bolt-ons....

hehe hey eli missed ya at the last meet...anyways I run 11psi with absolutely no spike on a halman mbc and I'm flashed at the moment and running notoriously rich...FCD should be showing up any day now...boost cut feels like hitting a brick wall....mine cuts at 13 on the dot. ON the spike note, though what was said is correct, you can slightly reduce it by minimizing the distance of vacuum lines from the boost source to the wastegate acuator. Thats why on my instruction sheets they show a pic of 3 inches of vacuum coming from the compressor side to the mbc and then 3 inches to the acuator....minimize the distance and you minimize the delay...

-John

KyRaceFan said:

DITTO This what my car is doing with the new hoses. If I don't spin my wheels and just WOT it my car does 5-6PSI but if I spin the wheels hard or down shift suddenly and floor it my gauge read 10-15PSI. Now it can just bounce there or in some cases, second gear mainly, it stays high on a down shift. I am going to video this occurence. This is on an all stock car. It's kind of like having selective boost. Once the car is moving fast like on the highway I always get 10-13PSI in 4th and 5th. Even with a gentle throttle roll on.

Back