And so it begins....

p5freek said:
very easy , just disconnect the negative on your batteri turn the light switch on and wait 2 min. then plug the negative of the batterie back , close the lights . start the car and voila no more check engin light :D

How much else does that reset? Are there settings that stay persistent even if the battery dies (not sure what you'd really need to be persistent, but whatever)...

Attepting to start the car after disconecting the battery also helps speed the process up.

I'd heavily suggest against removing the negative battery cable. This not only resets the cel, the FFD data, and the pending codes...but it also resets your LFT's to default values, as well as killing your readiness tests for X amounts of drive cycles and Y amount of mileage. (You'd fail an emissions test).

Pulling the negative battery cable is just a cheap fix to the real problem of trying to figure out what's wrong. It's like trying to fix a wound in your leg by cutting off the leg.

The correct procedure is to get the car scanned. You can do this in the following ways...

1) Take the car to a dealership. As long as you don't have excessive mods on the vehicle, or if the problem isn't caused by a mod, you won't be charged.
2) Take the car to a local autozone (PLEASE CALL FIRST). Make sure to verify that they have a CAN CAPABLE scanner! (Tell them OBD-II isn't sufficent). They'll let you rent the tool to scan your own car.
3) Go to a mazda6 meet where a local member has a scanner you can utilize. Many 6 owners have scanners available, so make a friend!
4) Buy a scanner.

#4 I actually consider a prerequisite to modding. Before any modding on any new car, you should really have the capability to do your own diagnosis and troubleshooting...which means you need a scanner, and a workshop manual. Of course these don't look cool on mod lists, so nobody ever buys them.

Two examples of good scanners to get.

Standalone
AutoXray
http://www.autoxray.com/

Laptop Based
Autoenguitity
http://www.autoenginuity.com/

Of the two, the autoenguitity is far more advanced and feature filled...but it requires a laptop to utilize. The autoxray fits in your glove box as a standalone unit.

Remember if a cel is caused by a mod, or you're out of warranty...its about 90 dollars to check a cel. Two weekend's ago, I scanned 9 cars at the track. The Value of the unit's adds up incredibly fast.

crossbow said:
I'd heavily suggest against removing the negative battery cable. This not only resets the cel, the FFD data, and the pending codes...but it also resets your LFT's to default values, as well as killing your readiness tests for X amounts of drive cycles and Y amount of mileage. (You'd fail an emissions test).

Pulling the negative battery cable is just a cheap fix to the real problem of trying to figure out what's wrong. It's like trying to fix a wound in your leg by cutting off the leg.

The correct procedure is to get the car scanned. You can do this in the following ways...

1) Take the car to a dealership. As long as you don't have excessive mods on the vehicle, or if the problem isn't caused by a mod, you won't be charged.
2) Take the car to a local autozone (PLEASE CALL FIRST). Make sure to verify that they have a CAN CAPABLE scanner! (Tell them OBD-II isn't sufficent). They'll let you rent the tool to scan your own car.
3) Go to a mazda6 meet where a local member has a scanner you can utilize. Many 6 owners have scanners available, so make a friend!
4) Buy a scanner.

#4 I actually consider a prerequisite to modding. Before any modding on any new car, you should really have the capability to do your own diagnosis and troubleshooting...which means you need a scanner, and a workshop manual. Of course these don't look cool on mod lists, so nobody ever buys them.

Two examples of good scanners to get.

Standalone
AutoXray
http://www.autoxray.com/

Laptop Based
Autoenguitity
http://www.autoenginuity.com/

Of the two, the autoenguitity is far more advanced and feature filled...but it requires a laptop to utilize. The autoxray fits in your glove box as a standalone unit.

Remember if a cel is caused by a mod, or you're out of warranty...its about 90 dollars to check a cel. Two weekend's ago, I scanned 9 cars at the track. The Value of the unit's adds up incredibly fast.

thanks for the info , its good to know

If you do disconnect your battery to reset, just leave your headlights on to drain any residual power in the system.

Autoenginuity is my preference for loggers. I have the Bluetooth adapter on backorder to try out on my PDA, I can't wait.

Just got back from my 5000 mile service (dealer recommends). Oil change, tire rotation & "check everything" = $100.97 (ugh)

They DID know all about the software update this time. The guy asks me "what kind of gas are you running?" I said purely 93. He recommended that I get Sunoco 94, but apparently didn't realize that they aren't delivering that in this area anymore. The Sunoco station two doors down didn't even have it.

I told him I use Shell, as recommended by toptiergas.com (only distributor on the list here), and he tells me, "well, we can check in the computer what kind of fuel you've been using," as if I was lying to him.

Oh well, he was otherwise pleasant, and they did perform the software update. Obviously I can't tell any difference so far, and I've only run into the issue twice. So hopefully all is well now.

stillflat4 said:
Just got back from my 5000 mile service (dealer recommends). Oil change, tire rotation & "check everything" = $100.97 (ugh)

They DID know all about the software update this time. The guy asks me "what kind of gas are you running?" I said purely 93. He recommended that I get Sunoco 94, but apparently didn't realize that they aren't delivering that in this area anymore. The Sunoco station two doors down didn't even have it.

I told him I use Shell, as recommended by toptiergas.com (only distributor on the list here), and he tells me, "well, we can check in the computer what kind of fuel you've been using," as if I was lying to him.

Oh well, he was otherwise pleasant, and they did perform the software update. Obviously I can't tell any difference so far, and I've only run into the issue twice. So hopefully all is well now.

Interesting link.. sucks that I don't think any of those are in this area. I'd love to get a "check everything" for 100 dollars on my car, it probably needs it at 69k miles.

Back