An option that the CX-5 needs

metalfab

:
2014 Ford Edge AWD LTD
Towing capacity is lacking in the CX-5: 2000lbs MAX. is not enough. Example, a small pop-up tent trailer is about 1100lbs, 2 adults and 2 youth in our case is 450lbs, plus luggage and gear 250+lbs. So now we have 1800lbs and over the comfort level of what should be carried.

The CX-5 needs a V6 option (available on any model) and at least 3200lbs load capacity. If that was available I would have taken that engine over the bells and whistles.

Some people will say get a CX-9, well here a base model CX-9 is more than a loaded CX-5 GT by about $2000-3000.

Contrary to popular opinion, tow rating limit are generally chassis/suspension limits, a more powerful engine will do nothing to increase the safe tow limits.

The CX-5 was not designed as a heavy-duty tow rig. In fact, heavy towing is incompatible with the design goals of the CX-5 (fun to drive, nimble handling and good fuel economy).

Yea, what Michael said. You also have to consider the way tow rating is calculated In the U.S vs Europe for an example. The same car is rated to tow 2000kg, but is rated so because of different requirements on towing, brakes, hitch type etc.. In general standards and most definitely the enforcement of proper trailer towing (private vehicles) is way less here.. How many times have you been down the freeway with a pickup towing a trailer with no working lights, straps hanging etc.. If you do plan on towing regularly or at the limits.. you may want to grab some $99 ride right airbags for the rear shocks. You don't want to be sideways while driving straight LOL

The CX-5 has the highest tow rating in its class at 2000#. The others have a 1500# tow rating (CRV, Rav4, Forester). Seems the trend is to tow less, not more for this class as the Rav4 and Forester have been derated in last couple of years. Goes with the chassis lightening and higher MPG goals. If you want to tow 3500# you will take a big hit in mpg with the V6 Outback, Ford Edge, or Honda Pilot.

The europeans rate the exact same gasoline CX-5 at 3600# towing, but I wouldn't try it.

Agreed, CX-5 is optimized for fuel efficiency, with good handling and comfort. A lightly optioned mid-sized SUV/crossover is a better choice for towing heavier setups.

Without stating the obvious a tow package (bigger radiator, oil cooler, etc.) in conjunction with a V6 would be great. Had those option on my 03 MPV.

Its scarey watching 1/2 ton pickups trying to hold steady with a slide-in camper in the bed. People should know that you need a 3/4 ton to carry those properly. I saw 2 slide-in campers on the way here abandoned by the side of the road. Tickets on the side showing they were overloaded.

As is the CX-5 comes oh so close to being able to do what I think would be an ideal CUV. I guess that's why its an issue.

As for being nimble, it is sporty unloaded but the Mazda 5 beats it in the handling aspect as well.

I cross shopped an RDX and it only has a 1500lb rating with it's stout V6. I didn't see the value with going with an RDX. It really lacked any passion. Sure it was faster but felt like a minivan in the curves.

Contrary to popular opinion, tow rating limit are generally chassis/suspension limits, a more powerful engine will do nothing to increase the safe tow limits.

Very true. The tow rating on my '96 Impala was lower than on a similarly equipped Caprice simple because of the aluminum wheels on the Impala. The larger, but identically powered Fleetwood had an option for 2000lbs of extra towing. That came courtesy of a higher rear end gear.
I wouldn't want to tow anything with the CX5. Towing stresses out everything on a car, from the engine, tranny, to the brakes.
If you were to find the room for a v6 in the cx5, you also have to find room for more cooling for that motor, make sure that the tranny can take the extra tq, fit the car with brakes that can take the extra heat...
See the can of worms you just opened?

Without stating the obvious a tow package (bigger radiator, oil cooler, etc.) in conjunction with a V6 would be great. Had those option on my 03 MPV.

Once again, a bigger radiator, oil cooler and V6 would not up the tow rating a single pound.

The MPV had a weak transmission and the engine cooling was marginal so perhaps it needed a tow package. But there is no indication the transmission and cooling system in the CX-5 is not more than up to the task of towing up to the rated chassis limits. So I'm not sure what that would accomplish.

Look at it this way - the CX-5 comes with a tow package (up to 2,000 lbs) but it's standard so it's not called a tow package.

If you want to tow more than that you need a heavier tow vehicle which will certainly suck more fuel and be less fun to drive.

Buy the vehicle that meets your needs - don't try to turn a great vehicle into something it's not.

The larger, but identically powered Fleetwood had an option for 2000lbs of extra towing.

Yep. Also, when the 2.5L engine replaced the 2.0L engine in the CX-5, the tow limit remained the same.

Towing is not about the engine. Even a modestly powered semi-tractor can be rated to tow amazing loads.

The Cherokee V6 can tow 4500lb with package (the 4cyl is rated 2000lb).
The Equinox V6 can tow 3500lb.

The 12 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi I had was rated at 11,000lbs, also 390HP and 410 ft lbs of torque :-D

The 12 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi I had was rated at 11,000lbs, also 390HP and 410 ft lbs of torque :-D

And a nice 14 mpg.without towing. I had to drive one of those for a month. I dont want to remember how much I spend on fuel during that time.

A more detailed explanation on the physics of towing.

"Moral of the story:

Europeans! Be proud that you can pull that huge caravan with your tiny car.
Americans! Be proud you can pull more weight in total and with a greater degree of safety and at higher speeds than our Euro friends.

Note: DON'T assume for one second, Americans, that you can simply use Europe as a guide to towing above your limit, its not going to be safe at our speeds DON'T put me and my family in danger or embarrass us in front of the other countries."

And a nice 14 mpg.without towing. I had to drive one of those for a month. I dont want to remember how much I spend on fuel during that time.

I was getting about 18-19MPG with 60 city / 40 hwy. Considering the trucks weight that the engine is over twice the size that is pretty decent.

A more detailed explanation on the physics of towing.

"Moral of the story:

Europeans! Be proud that you can pull that huge caravan with your tiny car.
Americans! Be proud you can pull more weight in total and with a greater degree of safety and at higher speeds than our Euro friends.

Note: DON'T assume for one second, Americans, that you can simply use Europe as a guide to towing above your limit, its not going to be safe at our speeds DON'T put me and my family in danger or embarrass us in front of the other countries."

Interesting link. Has science describing the effects speed and tongue weight on run away trailer sway. Moral of the story seems to be SLOW DOWN and make sure you have at least 10% tongue weight to avoid runaway trailer sway. Interesting Summary of above link:

As it related to speed, the study looks at variables in Center of mass in relation to axle placement and vehicle speed as a function of whether the trailer is likely to sway and at what speed and when it does will it be a decaying oscillation (takes care of itself) or an exponential oscillation (building to a crash) and at what speed those thresh holds occur at.

In the first example, the damping ratio remained positive up to 100 mph (with 10% tongue weight).
In the second example the damping ratio went negative at 65 mph (with 3% tongue weight).
In the third example the damping ratio went negative at 45 mph (with -10% tongue weight).

Last edited:
Back