alpine 9813

anyone with experience can chime in, but specifically 1st mp3 since his HU has the same internal amp - at about what volume setting does the vdrive start to distort?

With my VRs I can detect slight distortion at 23, noticable at 24 and badly at 25. A higher crossover point helps so does non distorted music.
Example, Slipknot on 25 is nasty, 24 for me otherwise its to much distortion. My Doors Greatest hit dick can go to 30 without issue.
Low bass like Maxwell tends to also cause early distortion 24-25 range but not as bad as Mudvayne, Korn, Rob Zombie ect.

yeah, i try not to turn it past 24. but i do listen to it there somewhat often. ive got the crossover at 80hz for all my speakers, and on some CDs i can hear a little distortion, but its not like a buzz. its more like the entire track goes a TINY bit higher in pitch and i only notice it when i hit the mute button before i turn off the car.

Nice head deck, why not use those pre-outs? I can't understand why someone would spend money on a head deck and not on an amplifier. Then again, I haven't had a car without at least 2 Amplifiers since I was 19.

Micah said:
Nice head deck, why not use those pre-outs? I can't understand why someone would spend money on a head deck and not on an amplifier.

Becuase they wanted features not more volume.

congrats on the features, now maybe if you stop using the "v-drive" amplifier you could have some volume. Call me crazy, but I like driving @ 70 MPH with the roof open and all four windows down - and sometimes, I even want to hear my radio over all the wind noise.

What always amuses me/scares the crap out of me - is when someone leaves a piece of paper or a small empty plastic bag on the floor in the back. All of a sudden out of nowhere, the item gets scooped up by wind - whips up, shoots past my face, and out my window. It's kinda scary cause it blocks my view for a split second - I reach up franticly to grab at whatever the hell has just flown up in my face, but by the time my hand is there, it's already flown out of the car.

Hmm.... I just looked up the features on that head deck, I think I'll be calling my friend at circuit city to return my head deck again soon. heheheheh. Probably go for the 9815 I like the way it looks better- or the 7897 even though it's an older deck, it's got that nice 1.5 din look to it.

toys rule

Actualy thew V-drive amp on my rear speakers from the head unit are just as loud as my front speakers with a JL 300/2 on them. Thats all placement though. I HATE REAR SPEAKERS!!!!(argh)

1st MP3 in NH said:
Actualy thew V-drive amp on my rear speakers from the head unit are just as loud as my front speakers with a JL 300/2 on them. Thats all placement though. I HATE REAR SPEAKERS!!!!(argh)

Really??? wow, that's impressive.

the reason i got the v drive was beacuse at the time of my installation, i couldnt afford a 4 channel amp. plus i loved the features and figured the extra power would hold me over until i got cash together for a nice amp to power my speakers.

another question for ya: in the x-over menu, it allows you to turn down your front, rear, and "low" (sub) speakers. would there be any harm in turning down the fronts and rears a bit and then cranking the volume a little more so i could get more subwoofer in the sound? would it hurt anything to do this using the internal vdrive amp? what about with a external 4 channel amp?

yay for cars said:
the reason i got the v drive was beacuse at the time of my installation, i couldnt afford a 4 channel amp. plus i loved the features and figured the extra power would hold me over until i got cash together for a nice amp to power my speakers.

another question for ya: in the x-over menu, it allows you to turn down your front, rear, and "low" (sub) speakers. would there be any harm in turning down the fronts and rears a bit and then cranking the volume a little more so i could get more subwoofer in the sound? would it hurt anything to do this using the internal vdrive amp? what about with a external 4 channel amp?

That won't hurt anything, thats one of the intended puroses of that feature.

Back