Almost impossible to shift fast in the MSP!!

d_lo said:
power shifting is when you keep your foot on the gas pedal while shifting gears
nope, powershifting is when you don't push in your clutch to shift. You just match the revs at the best spot and shift into the next gear without using the clutch.

I'm sure I can chirp the tires if I don't redline, but I'm not trying to do that. I need to redline because I'm gonna be racing at the track, and when I redline, the transmission doesn't want to shift into second. Every other gear if very smooth at any rpm.

How long have you had your MSP??? Ive Chur'ped 1st into 2nd. check it, at the light start off EZ (rolling start) in 1st. When you get to about 3000 rpm, let go of the gas for a quick sec. then mash it. This allows you to respool your turbo for a fresh boost. then, if you could hit 2nd gear perfect youll churp'. i drop into 2nd rite before i hit redline. i can almost churp 3rd but not enough power into 3rd. You gotta feel for it....

I gotta Question.....Does anyone know where the intake sliencer is??? I heard if you take off the intake sliencer, you can hear the stock blow off better....

I would imagine that the silencer is probably some sort of tubing or baffle on the underside of the intake.

no problems shifting fast. car burns the tires off in first and spins or always crips second and sometimes third. i guess i learned to shift fast on my other 93 protege. the car has stock clutch.

thanks justin h

i can chirp 2nd but not for long. my tranny doesnt like to be slamed into 2nd. it is too notchy. It isnt a grind, just have to wait till it allows me in. i usually shift around 5500 to chirp em.

I have no problems shifting fast in this car. Only grinded my gears a little in the first week of driving, just a dumb mistake.

This is my first manual but from other cars I have been in it seems I can shift pretty damn fast. No complaints here.

LAdies and gentlemen, I finally got it!! My problem was that once I depressed the clutch and went to shift, the shifter would get stock in first therefore being delayed and the shift action didn't sync with my foot, , which is a lot faster then my hand is because of the problem above. Therefore, I would ****** grind second gear!! Now all I do is not let off the gas fully which in turn release the shifter out of first gear with a lot less resistance and speeds up my hand action to my foot action :) Also I think the reason the shifter gets stock when I let of the gas on higher rpm is because the engine rocks sooooooo much! Time for an AWR front mount

Last edited:
Yeah...In order for me to chirp into 2nd 3rd & 4th..Just try shifting at 5500rmps..Thats were it happens for me...Plus..I have a short shifter..and motor mounts wich allows me to shift quicker!

Oh and about the problem w/ shifting into 2nd..make sure when you are about to shift out of first to completely be off the gas peddle wich opens up the shift gate..than apply gas again as you are going into 2nd..that's the best way i found!

Chas

I can almost always chirp second. I can spin it no problem if I hit damp pavement or in a corner. I dont even necessarily power shift it. Today on my lunch break I went to pass some dude in a Talon and Downshifted third to second and dropped the clutch fast. I got a solid chirp out of it. I think if you really wanted to you could spin up second no problem but I don't want to have to do transmission work already. I also have no problem quick shifting it sometimes I will grind but its usually when I am being lazy about it.

Back