Allen screw on rear caliper stripped. What to do?

What I am saying is... Replace the caliper... Dont Eff around with brakes... Even if you get it back on and it seems to work... if the adjuster does not move like it is supposed to, then you will eventually have no brakes on that side..

1. Will make the others wear out faster
2. Will have Park on one tire
3. Will probably Flip and die in the rain+corner+brake=Dead

checked the left one, worked fine and ordered the right one on rockauto. Forgot to put the lid of the brake fluid resevior for several days, will this cause too much moisture inside the system? Shall I change the fluid as well?

checked the left one, worked fine and ordered the right one on rockauto. Forgot to put the lid of the brake fluid resevior for several days, will this cause too much moisture inside the system? Shall I change the fluid as well?

Just bleed it...

I had the very same thing happen on one of my rear calipers...ordering a new one is the only thing you can do. As for the cap off the reservoir, I would get the new caliper installed, bleed everything (make sure you keep the fluid level up in the reservoir while bleeding) and I think you'll probably be fine. I assume the hood was closed or the car was inside?

Oh yes the car was in the garage and door closed, rained often recently though... I thing I will just change the whole fluid for good. Thankfully the whole thing will end and I can drive it again...

For sure...just did front pads and rotors and ended up having to replace a stuck caliper...it was great to finally get that done! If I were you, I would pick up 4 speedbleeders and replace all of your bleed screws with them. That way you can bleed all the calipers by yourself. The recommendation is to begin with the one furthest from the master cylinder and move closer and closer. Make sure you keep the reservoir topped off...you'll need a few bottles of brake fluid.

Done. Now the weird feeling of skidding when brake and turn is gone. Also checked the left side, and tightened the allen screw. Parking brake came back working now.

Thank you all you guys for helping me out!

oh, one weird thing: the bleeding bolt on the new caliper does not stop when tightening it, but a 1/4 turn stops the fluid from coming out. Is this a different bolt from the one with a cone head? won't it get loosen when driving?

That's strange...it should stop when tightened. When you keep tightening, does it just continue into the caliper?

stopped moving ahead when about 2-3 thread lines left, then just rotating at the same position. shoot, does that mean the thread line on the bolt is bad already?

That doesn't sound good...it sounds like it's stripped. You really have two options...if it's working, you can just continue using it and hope you don't have an issue, or you can take the bleeder screw out and check the threads on the screw and the caliper for signs of stripping. If they are stripped, you may need to replace the caliper...again.

Yes, the bolt was stripped. Rockauto shipped a new one to me and now it is working fine. They are both reman parts, but looks quite different in quality... and the first one missed the hand-brake bracket btw.

Latest posts

Back