Contributor
:
01 BMW 325xi Touring
2011mazda5---1.jpg

2011mazda5---2.jpg

2011mazda5---3.jpg

2011mazda5---4.jpg

2011mazda5---5.jpg

The Mazda5 has been around since 2006, going about its microvan business in relative obscurity, yet rewarding buyers with a healthy dose of zoom-zoom mixed into their three-row vanlet driving needs. The Mazda5 (Premacy in other markets) received a few tweaks in 2008, but other than new wheels and clear tail lamps, there weren't a lot of changes. Well, Mazda just announced that an all-new Premacy will be unveiled at the 2010 Geneva Motor Show, and despite the smile on its face, the changes are more than skin deep.

Cribbing heavily from recent show cars like the Nagare and Furai, the new 5 sports swoopy character lines along its flanks, and adopts the now-familiar and familial smiley face up front. Besides an all-new body, the 2011 Mazda5 will also get the company's "i-stop" start-stop technology for its new direct-injection engine, reducing CO2 emissions by up to 15 percent according to Mazda. Mazda says the Nagare-inspired styling actually serves to reduce drag and maintain a good balance of downforce fore and aft, but we're pretty sure people will just think it a bit overstyled.

The new Mazda5 will go on sale in Europe later this year with a choice of 1.8- or 2.0-liter direct-inject gas engines. No word yet on which engines will make it over to these shores, but we're guessing the 2.5-liter in the current Mazda3. Hopefully Mazda has figured out a way to offer the trick karakuri second-row center seat that boosts seating to seven. We'll have more details when they pull the cover off of it in Geneva.

[Autoblog]

Press Release

All-New Mazda5 to Premiere at the 2010 Geneva Motor Show

HIROSHIMA, Japan-Mazda Motor Corporation will hold the global premiere of the all-new Mazda5 (known as the Mazda Premacy in Japan) during the press days of the 2010 Geneva Motor Show on March 2 and 3, 2010. Embracing dynamic and elegant Nagare design, the new Mazda5 emits approximately 15 percent less CO2 than the current model thanks to Mazda's "i-stop" idling stop system, a direct injection gasoline engine and other technologies. European sales of the all-new Mazda5 will commence during fall 2010.

The new Mazda5 features an emotional design that blends elegance with a dynamic spirit. It will be the first Mazda production model to fully adopt Mazda's Nagare (meaning "flow" in Japanese) design language, which finds inspiration in the beauty of flows found in nature. Nagare design has appeared in certain elements of recent production models and was previously showcased through a series of concept cars. The new Mazda5's design achieves excellent aerodynamic characteristics with an outstanding drag coefficient and lift balance. In order to meet wide-ranging customer requirements, it also offers a high level of functionality, with dual sliding rear doors and multiple seat arrangements. This includes a karakuri second-row center seat that can be converted to a versatile storage space. With a sportier and smoother ride, the new Mazda5 responds precisely to the driver's commands, enabling the whole family to travel in comfort and security.

Based on its long-term vision for technology development, Sustainable Zoom-Zoom, Mazda is striving to improve the eco-friendly performance of its products. Whether stuck in traffic or cruising on the highway, the all-new Mazda5 with 2.0L direct injection gasoline engine and i-stop significantly reduces CO2 emissions thanks to the effective combination of i-stop, the high combustion efficiency provided by direct injection, and a six-speed manual transmission with optimized gear ratios. The new Mazda5 cuts CO2 emissions by roughly 15 percent compared to the model it replaces and provides a more comfortable ride with linear and smooth performance characteristics. It is now one of the most eco-friendly minivans in its class in Europe.

The new Mazda5's green credentials are further enhanced by its other available powertrains, which include a 1.8L gasoline engine mated to a six-speed manual transmission.

Commenting on the development concept, Hideki Matsuoka, the Mazda5 program manager, said, "The all-new Mazda5 meets the many needs of today's customers. In a single model, we offer the competitive eco-performance necessary to address current market trends together with our distinctive, emotional design. The Mazda5 features outstanding functionality with sliding rear doors and multiple seat arrangements, and it delivers fantastic comfort with a linear and smooth ride that responds precisely as the driver intends."

Officially titled the 80e Salon International de l'Auto, the Geneva International Motor Show press days are March 2 and 3, and the public days are March 4 through 14. Mazda will hold its press conference on Tuesday, March 2.

This is one I'm going to have to see in person before I make up my mind. Might be driving one in December of 2011 either way. Really hoping for the 2.5L. I just read a report predicting the 2.0 for the US. If it had AWD it'd be perfect.

The 2010+ Mazda3 called... :D

It keeps the essentials intact, no bloating nor drastic changes, that is always good. Yeah, the smile was expected...

For the engine choices the US and Canadian models have never matched the European or Asian counterparts, so my wild guess is that Mazda will put the 2.5L as the latest Mazda3/Mazda6.

I also remember the rumor that the MX-5 and the Mazda5 would be the firsts getting the new more fuel-efficient/greener Mazda engines, but who knows...

Whatever it is, please keep the 3rd pedal (2thumbs)

I also remember the rumor that the MX-5 and the Mazda5 would be the firsts getting the new more fuel-efficient/greener Mazda engines, but who knows...

Whatever it is, please keep the 3rd pedal (2thumbs)

yes. every new model that will be launched from 2011 onward will give the new sky engines.

mx-5 4 gen and the rumored cx-5 (many sources, CEO included, have comfirmed that car) will recieve the new engines.

this year's programs are new Mazda5 and restyling of Mazda6 and 2.

maybe will see the mx-5 at the end of the year

people in Mazda say: 2010 will be another tuff year, but we have big news from 2011....;)

it blows my mind, every article, reviewer,web site etc on the planet has made negative comments on the new smiley front end on the 3. Why the @#$%@ are they sticking it on everything now.

Someone at Mazda needs to be slapped and fired.

it blows my mind, every article, reviewer,web site etc on the planet has made negative comments on the new smiley front end on the 3. Why the @#$%@ are they sticking it on everything now.

Someone at Mazda needs to be slapped and fired.

Maybe it's well received in Japan?

if i had ONE complaint...that's one BLAND interior... :( otherwise great lookin microvan

6MT in the pic? I guess the 3 has a 6MT, so that makes sense.

Mikey, an article I read said the 2.0 w/DI would make as much power/torque as the old 2.3, but with much better fuel economy. Might make sense with tightening EPA regs.

6MT in the pic? I guess the 3 has a 6MT, so that makes sense.

Yep, but the Euro spec has come with 6MT since 05 (gas and diesel), lucky dudes. DISI would be sweet but might drive costs up. For the US they have to cheapen it out badly.

it blows my mind, every article, reviewer,web site etc on the planet has made negative comments on the new smiley front end on the 3. Why the @#$%@ are they sticking it on everything now. Someone at Mazda needs to be slapped and fired.

I believe the new tails offset the smiley face, isn't that true always? ((glare) dirty thought crosses mind, LOL)

First of all...

I've had my eye on this Juicy News Thread since our AutoNews Man Extraordinaire, mikeyb posted it...Love the large juicy pics and multiple news sources...Keep up the great work, Mikey! (2thumbs)

As for my (2cents)

Posted this in a related thread in the 5 Forum...

Excellent Question & Feedback! (2thumbs)

I'm a HUGE fan of the current gen so much so I convinced my Parents to pick one up (My Parents just got a new Mazda5!)...The 2011 is RADICALLY different looking and I'm NOT totally sure yet how I feel...I bet Mazda is hoping that this badboy will REALLY turn some heads...Turn them AWAY from the competition and into Mazda Dealers!

I am looking forward to seeing one in the wild here in Japan...As has happened in the past...I'm sure I'll grow to love this new version as well! :D

Weirdly, I think this is the first "smiley face" Mazda that I like. I feel like they've been trying to use the design language from their various radical concept cars but only doing the front end on the production cars and it doesn't work. Bringing the waves in to the side makes the design more cohesive, and the front end works better on this scale than on the 3 or 6.

I personally am at an end with Mazda design. The 2009 Mazda6 was truly the end of the decent styling era of their cars. The new 'flow' designs are becoming more and more awful with every iteration.

I was told from one of my sources that this would be the first car to really show some design inspiration from their concepts over the past few years, and honestly, it's not good. I'm all for concepts, but when they get pushed too far and onto things that really don't resemble their initial design, this is what happens. For once, the front end looks decent on a vehicle, but the molded body panels are bad. Not to mention the new interiors have gotten more and more bland, and unless you shell out more money for a Touring or GT trim, you don't get all the nice parts inside.

With that said, more and more I realize that the MS6 I own will probably be the last Mazda I own, and if the g/f keeps her 2009 Mz6 for her lease, that might be the last one for us as well.

New styles are very easy to dismiss as heading in the wrong direction, especially when you own and love the previous style. When you park them next to each other, you start to see the outdated look of the older model, and with each passing day, you start to accept the new look more and more, although that love you feel for your current style may never materialize. If you don't move forward you get left behind, give the new design time, and let a few people mod them to make them look awesome. I too do not like the smiley face, but I think they incorporate it better in each design. I am at the point in my life where the MS3 might not work for my growing family, and if my wife is pregnant again, the dreaded minivan era of my life might be starting. This would be fun to drop and blackout to see if I can make a microvan work for my family and my ego.

im sorry but im with steve on this one.

I much rather prefer the old generation Mazda6 over the new one...
I much rather prefer the old generation Mazda3 over the new one...

However, if they took the new Mazda5 front and put it with the old mazda5 butt, i'd rock it...especially with a diesel

New styles are very easy to dismiss as heading in the wrong direction, especially when you own and love the previous style. When you park them next to each other, you start to see the outdated look of the older model, and with each passing day, you start to accept the new look more and more, although that love you feel for your current style may never materialize. If you don't move forward you get left behind, give the new design time, and let a few people mod them to make them look awesome. I too do not like the smiley face, but I think they incorporate it better in each design. I am at the point in my life where the MS3 might not work for my growing family, and if my wife is pregnant again, the dreaded minivan era of my life might be starting. This would be fun to drop and blackout to see if I can make a microvan work for my family and my ego.

Oftentimes it's a case of getting acclimated to a design, but a lot of times, the older versions just look better. I'll give you some samples. Granted these are all my opinion but I bet if you conducted a poll, the numbers would be in favor of the older models looking better.

This vs This

new_forester1.jpg
2010-Subaru-Forester-13836620-336.jpg

This vs This

1002329.jpg
b33125-bmw-m5.jpg

This vs This

98_mitsubishi_eclipse_gst.jpg
475.jpg

This vs This
No%201.jpg
2010_MAZDA6.jpg

May also have to do with ownership?

The JDM/Europe Mazda6 rocks, I'm sure the MS6 variant there will rock even more. The North America specific Mazda6 was not the best idea, I admit.

Funny that now that I see some of my old posts about the 2008 Mazda5 facelift compared to my 06, yet I bought one. I no longer think that at all, especially when I see them side by side. The 08 has grown on me.

I also see many new 2010 Mazda3 owners around in the forums now who love the new style and they are previous Protege/Mazda6/Mazda3 owners, so it is a difficult call (dunno)

Back