Alarm Suggestions

there's really not a point with any aftermarket system unless you're looking for (useless) turbo timer function, remote start, and paging system

the stock alarm works fine as the factory immobilizer system is way better than pretty much anything aftermarket out there... all you need to do to add is a shock sensor to the stock alarm which is cheap and easy to do

there IS a "addon" viper system that is designed to be integrated with the CAN network system on our cars... that means little to no wire splicing is done like traditional alarms and it doesn't interfere with the electrical system as easily

I'm have a Compustar installed and love it. 3000ft range pager, turbo timer (useless as TheMAN says) but could use it if I had a MS3, and remote start. I use the remote start in winter like crazy and it gives peice of mind. All for around $500 CDN. You can probably get a better deal easily.

Factory alarms are the worst kind of alarms they are so many ways to disarm these very quick, and the immobilizer is a joke as well, many inssurance companies here in The Montreal area don't take these into consideration. An aftermarket alarm systeme is the way to go but any alarm will do just depends on what you add-on to it like motion sensor, glass break sensor, tilt sensor, back-up siren and back up battery pack!!!

I've seen way to many mazdas get stolen to trust the factory alarm.

Anyway This is only my opinion and I've been Working in Car Electronics For The Past 10 years.

so you trust an aftermarket alarm that REQUIRES you to tape a factory immobilizer key near the steering column in order to bypass its system to use the aftermarket alarm's immobilizer system? :rolleyes:

the factory immobilizer system uses a rolling frequency system and a control module so buried inside the dash that by the time he gets that s*** out and the car started, he'd be surrounded by cops.... it's not a simple "kill the starter relay" s*** that runs off a wire or two from a typical aftermarket alarm module that you can cut/hot wire to bypass

most factory alarms and transponder keys have to be programmed to the pcm and require a tech with the clearance to access the site to inter in there info which in there system and then u can get an access code to program the key and u cannot get a key cut without insurance and proof of ownership. factory systems work well and most aftermarket ones on newer cars are really not needed. the mazda remote start is killer and work well, i have installed several. the aftermarket alarms are better for the older ones but do u really pay attention to alarm going off in the parking lot? not really. i installed a viper 5700 only cause i got it for free. i love the remote start

taping a key near the steering column is not done no more, thay have a bypass module that copies the keys frequency instead.

And by the way the factory alarm is very easy to get pass,the imobilizer key is just a joke give any good car theft 30 sec and He'll be gone with your mazda.

knowledge is power My Friend!!!

Bottom line is if a pro really wants your car they will get it! I am not worried about the professional thief as it will never be recovered or striped so bad insurance will write it off. What concerns me is the joy riders who beat the crap out of the car for a few days strip a few parts then dump it only to be found and repaired. For that the factory mobilizer will suffice 9 times out of 10. However it wou't keep them out of the car and stealing the contents. I prefer a combination of factory, supplemented with some aftermarket deterrents. Aftermarket alarms are only as good as the install. A poorly installed alarm is easy to defeat! I takes a decent amount of time to install properly. Hidden and integrated into the factory harness makes it much harder to trace and defeat.

Last edited:
Back