Air still comes out of vents when fan is set to ZERO for OFF

Kelseyx

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport AWD- liquid Silver
I noticed today that there was air coming out of the dash vents below the stereo when I had my climate control fan set at ZERO. The light was still on for outside air to come in too. I hadn't noticed before that this light was on when I had the fan off. I was sure that it all shut off when the fan was off. Would one of you verify this for me before I call my dealer? Thank you in advance.

Did you have the air circulation turned off? If so, that's normal.
If you set it to Air Circulation on, it'll be completely off.

Did you have the air circulation turned off? If so, that's normal.
If you set it to Air Circulation on, it'll be completely off.

What do you mean by "air circulation"? That to me is the fan, which I set to Zero and air is still coming out.

What do you mean by "air circulation"? That to me is the fan, which I set to Zero and air is still coming out.

Outside air.
If you have outside air selected, air can still get in if the vents are set to zero.
Press the button for interior cabin air circulation. The button has a picture if arrows in a circle.

Happens in every car. HVAC ducting can never be vacuum tight...

At times I have my HVAC turned completely off in non-recirc mode, and have the sunroof cracked open just to eliminate positive pressure in the cabin and induce airflow without using the fan.

I understand now. Thank you very much for your time. I am glad to know it is not broken.

As a safety feature they always have some air coming in to pressurize the cabin so you don't get exhaust/engine fumes coming in the cabin.

As a safety feature they always have some air coming in to pressurize the cabin so you don't get exhaust/engine fumes coming in the cabin.

Thanks for the information. I didn't realize this either.

I haven't looked on this car yet but there are typically vents at the back end of the car near the bumper. They have flaps on them so that air can come out but not go back in through those spots. So as mentioned if you don't have the system set on recirc even with the fan off and everything closed some air will flow through.

What I find odd is not that there's still some flow from the vents when the HVAC is off, but that it seems to still be cool, even when the outside air is 90+ running through the hot engine compartment.

Thermodynamics- heat loss.. Ducts are still cooler than the ambient outside also.

Back