air intake system suggestions please

Question. Why do you need a new intake? Looks? I have heard that short rams and CAI's make you lose low end power. I stuck a K&N drop in filter in my car and now I'm getting 32 mpg according to VehiCal!

Exactly, these cheap ebay intakes don't actually make any more power, at least some of the companies that make intakes dyno the vehicles to see any improvement. All cheap ebay intakes are just prepackaged and sold by people that buy them in bulk to sell on ebay. Put a K&N or wix filter in your stock intake box and cut the top of your grille and call it a day.

Exactly, these cheap ebay intakes don't actually make any more power, at least some of the companies that make intakes dyno the vehicles to see any improvement. All cheap ebay intakes are just prepackaged and sold by people that buy them in bulk to sell on ebay. Put a K&N or wix filter in your stock intake box and cut the top of your grille and call it a day.

This. Here is an analysis but me.

DSC_0850.jpg

You will notice on the radiator support that there is a "ram air" like box so that fresh air can get in while the car is in motion. This is a smart move by Mazda, you don't see any aftermarket intakes with this kind of air inlet. Secondly, the factory intake is very unrestricted compared to most factory intakes I've seen, all you would have to do is get a 45" PVC pipe to eliminate the resonator that sits after the "ram air" inlet and you've got the best intake possible. Most aftermarket intakes have the filter sitting near the coolant overflow reservoir, which I almost guarantee doesn't get nearly as much cool air as does the factory intake with the hood inlet.

Also, after I switched from my Injen to factory intake, throttle response is way better and my mileage went from 28MPG to 32MPG. This is with a Wix drop-in filter that costs $15.

Well my cold air intake sucked enough water 2weeks ago to bend Six valves.......Let me tell you its not cheap to fix. I have an 02, which I guess for a half of year in 2002 the made my kind of head. It sucks!!! After its all said and done it will be around $1600.(that does include a wp and t. belt too) so my cai is going to get alot shorter next week....lol
Not much help I know but...IF you do go cai make sure you put a water bypass filter in, they are only around $20 and thats a lot cheaper than $1600.

I bought an intake from this company a few weeks ago. Installed it and haven't had any problems. Didn't really feel any gain or loss in power since like everyone said mazda did pretty good with the stock ram air intake design but it is louder. I am still trying to figure out a way to incorperate the ram air piece with the new intake but haven't figured that out yet. Also I need to figure out a way to mount a bracket bc it rattles while idleing in drive, but you can go to home depot and get some metal to do this.

This. Here is an analysis but me.

DSC_0850.jpg

You will notice on the radiator support that there is a "ram air" like box so that fresh air can get in while the car is in motion. This is a smart move by Mazda, you don't see any aftermarket intakes with this kind of air inlet. Secondly, the factory intake is very unrestricted compared to most factory intakes I've seen, all you would have to do is get a 45" PVC pipe to eliminate the resonator that sits after the "ram air" inlet and you've got the best intake possible. Most aftermarket intakes have the filter sitting near the coolant overflow reservoir, which I almost guarantee doesn't get nearly as much cool air as does the factory intake with the hood inlet.

Also, after I switched from my Injen to factory intake, throttle response is way better and my mileage went from 28MPG to 32MPG. This is with a Wix drop-in filter that costs $15.

^^^i think im gonna have to give this another try. i do like the throaty sound of an aftermarket intake though :).

Last edited:
i have that same ebay intake from that seller. paid $72 shipped with the k&n filter. i wasnt as wild about the sound as i was with one from my civic so i went back to the stock intake. if you want it, ill sell it to ya for like $55 shipped if you want it. bought it in january and prob had it on the car for a month.
photo-2.jpg

lawls, i bought my AEM SRI from Skoozul last feb when he was parting out his car for sales, and when i got the intake i hated it soo much....throttle response on low rpms with stock is ALOT better and you dont have to step down as much on gas to get it going where the intake is the opp. this is why stock is ftw.
im nailing round 32mpg with intake but when i had stock i avg 33-35 :D

all you would have to do is get a 45" PVC pipe to eliminate the resonator that sits after the "ram air" inlet

I completely agree except for this, that box makes torque off idle, it isn't a resonator to reduce intake noise. It's the main reason why the stock intake has better throttle response.

well i am going to get the stock ram air piece on the radiator to conect with the ebay intake so it should be the best of both worlds. just have to shorten the intake pipe and get the duct that runs from the cone intake. i think it will be better that either setup alone.

Anything that sucks engine from the engine bay should not be called a "cold air" intake.

I looks like it'll suck more air volume, but that air is going to be hot. Or certainly warmer than what is outside the engine bay.

Anybody have any experience with the weapon r dragon intakes? I just think they more of look cool but really if you want to get more noise and be cheap get a k&n cone filter and put it right after your maf sensor that's how I've got mine set up a little better mpg and a lil more on the butt dyno

Anybody have any experience with the weapon r dragon intakes? I just think they more of look cool but really if you want to get more noise and be cheap get a k&n cone filter and put it right after your maf sensor that's how I've got mine set up a little better mpg and a lil more on the butt dyno

It looks to me like most of their intakes suck air from inside the engine compartment. So, you'll get more air (maybe), and it will be really hot (for sure). Not worth it in my opinion.

This product looks interesting to me since it is basically a snorkel to outside the car: http://www.weapon-r.com/products/1824-universal-dragon-intake-ram-air-kit-ii

And, it appears to taper from a wide mouth to a more narrow mouth, with naturally has the tendency to increase pressure. Install could be interesting since their manual link is broken.

What alot of us twin turbo audi folks did is change our panel filter inside our airbox to a cone filter (just had to find one that fit properly), then we cut holes in the bottom of our airbox since that part of our car faced our passenger side wheel well and would suck air from the outside there.

The P5 does not have that option as cutting a hole in the airbox would simply suck air from the engine compartment. What would be ideal would be a large enough cone filter inside the airbox with an additional snorkel to the outside so cold air would be taken in.

The way to really determine for all would be for someone or some tuner/product supplier to actually log intake air temp and intake air volume on similar runs with the stock set up, then add the intake of their choice and make the same runs, measure the same info, under similar circumstances. That's the only way to know for sure.

Then the logs could be posted and the community can decide what real differences there are.

Back