Air Box Delete......

:
Mazda 2 TS 1.3 True Red 5door Hatch
Hi, yes I know there are odd posts about this & bits of information in different peoples build threads....

Wanted to have a place where they can all be put together for us all to learn from, use, get ideas etc....

I am thinking of using an old car power amp housing, aluminium heatsink style....

but then I thought what about the heat inthe engine bay ?
will the inside of the alu casing cause condensation when the bay is cold ?
use a standard plastic IP65 or water proof box (if your not in the engineering game (lol2))
make a PVC or Nylon box plastic welded up ?

Shaun.....

Evening Joe.... Got the invoice from Susan.. all paid up & waiting....

What do they look like, the old car power amp idea is my favourite but not sure about the alu & condensation, you any dealings with this ? does it need a silica gel pack in the back ? air vent ?

Shaun....

Joe, any details about your ECU box ?

Forum... so nobody done anything with this ?

Shaun.....

Shaun, I'll try to take a picture again today and attach it, BUT if you look around on this forum, there is a tread somewhere about the alloy box we built for one of the test cars

Joe, thanx for that....

Keep searching for "air box delete" "ecu box" "alloy box" loads of threads but not found anything about the ECU alloy box... #

Gets me that no one else on the whole forum has done anything with this ?

Shaun.....

Joe had another user name a while back. There was a forum issue before he had vendor status, and all the posts from that user got deleted. The air box delete pics were in one of those posts. That's why you can't find them anymore.

Hey DT, I know you guys are looking into a turbo kit for the Deuce, maybe you could look at doing a top mount intercooler that deletes the airbox and incorporates the ECU? just a thought I had

Hey DT, I know you guys are looking into a turbo kit for the Deuce, maybe you could look at doing a top mount intercooler that deletes the airbox and incorporates the ECU? just a thought I had

As unique as that would be I think it would be much more difficult to find a way to make a top-mount fit. You have many a few inches left open when you close the hood and so without a hood scoop (like the genwon speed3's) it would include piping from another air source to get air into the top-mount which would involve needing even more space. There is so much room for a front-mount and the piping that way but a top-mount would cause issues with fitment.
I am no expert like Joe but this is just from my knowledge of the 2 and turbo set ups.

I wish I had a clue what you guys were talking about in this thread. I seriously need to find some local car friends that work on their cars regularly that will let me look over their shoulder and/or lend a hand. I think I've got the aptitude, just not the experience. Also, I don't know what things are.

I know there is room for a front mount since guys have already done it but I was interested in a top mount because I already have offroad lights mounted in my grille and don't have the spare room. I figure the 2 wouldn't need a large intercooler because of the setup and if anything water/meth can be added for the extra cooling effect like the older celica's and RX7's.

factory top mount from an RX7
article.html

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_111286/article.html

Stay clear of the interwarmer idea. Pita to do and FMIC is a common upgrade with cars that used this setup from factory.

Can understand the need here but is it not easyier to move the lights about a bit rather than making pipes and mounting an intercooler on top of a hot engine.

I know there is room for a front mount since guys have already done it but I was interested in a top mount because I already have offroad lights mounted in my grille and don't have the spare room. I figure the 2 wouldn't need a large intercooler because of the setup and if anything water/meth can be added for the extra cooling effect like the older celica's and RX7's.

factory top mount from an RX7
article.html

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_111286/article.html

I wish I had a clue what you guys were talking about in this thread. I seriously need to find some local car friends that work on their cars regularly that will let me look over their shoulder and/or lend a hand. I think I've got the aptitude, just not the experience. Also, I don't know what things are.

There's a big hunk of plastic that runs from the air inlet, to the air filter, past the ecu, and into the engine. If you add an intake (like Corksport), that big hunk of plastic is now only serving one purpose, to hold the ecu. It's big and kind of ugly, so the original poster is talking about a box to hold the ecu, so the hunk of plastic can go away. If you look under your hood, you'll can follow the plastic from the grill to the engine and see what folks are talking about removing.

Ahh, I see. I was trying to envision something having to do with the plastic on top of the engine and was very confused how the ecu played in all this. Makes sense, now.

Ahh, I see. I was trying to envision something having to do with the plastic on top of the engine and was very confused how the ecu played in all this. Makes sense, now.

That's fair! It's not too often I know the answer when it comes to car parts/stuff. I just lucked out, and happened to remember the original Dynotronics post about the topic.

1425586_10151737685913616_1707254904_n.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Here's my take on the ECU/Big Ass plastic box thing that drove me nuts after I installed my Corksport SRI. So I cut it off! This summer I will remove it, clean it up a bit with JBWelds, a grill for the hole on the side and make mounting brackets.

View from the side
969314_10151737685773616_1581648597_n.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back