Ah! Ah! Yes! Yes! *$#%*#$

DGibb

I took the money I was saving for a Celica and put thousand dollars down on a MS Protege today!

Yipeee....woo woo woo!

*Gets down on the ground and runs around in circles like Homer Simpson*

Attachments

• excitement fat squirrel.jpg
    excitement fat squirrel.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 326
Thanks for the welcome.

LOL, this will be first manual car ever. But I am gonna go practice on a beater before I pick it up. :)

Seeing as how you'll be owning one farily soon, what do you have planned if anything for your MSP?

Unfortunatly unlike most import tuners (sorry couldn't resist) I am not rich, the MSP will be breaking my pockets pretty badly.

Maybe in a month or two I can afford a CAI and cat-back.

I got this car cause its got alot of cool aftermarket stuff thats under warrenty, ya :D

No doubt DGibb. A huge selling point (if not the biggest) for this car is that I have a heavily modded car under warranty for 50K miles!!! If I do any mods, they will probably be future offerings from the Mazdaspeed division, hopefully also under factory warranty. I can't wait...

I mean, I am 21 working at CompUSA making $7.00 an hour, pulling 32-40 hour weeks. Im no where near some of the "mommy and daddy buys me everything" tuners that are out there (no offense to those who buy thier OWN stuff). I'm putting down a hard earned $2,000 in cash and having a $2,000 on my trade-in (fully off paid 1996 Monte Carlo), on what will surely be a $22,000 priced (after mark-up) car.

Luckily Mazda is one of the few dealerships to offer 72 months instead of the normal 60 for financing.

Thanks to that my payments will be right around $250 a month, THAT I can live with, and since its a sedan insurance is cheap too (compared to the coupes I was looking at)

If Mazda ever offers some good CAI's and stuff I'll defintly go thru them for the warrenty, but I want to see good gains like products from AEM and Injen. I don't want some piece of garbage CAI that mazda just slaps thier name on.

Unfortunately, a cold air intake won't really do anthing for you. I suggest buying at least an APEXi filter to help free up some restriction. The Blitz SUS filter will yield the most gains, but it's so free flowing that it may mess with the MAF Sensor. Goodluck bro and don't trip off the warranty too much, you should try to build a good solid relationship with your dealership so if you do decide to mod before your warranty is up, they won't be dicks to you.

BOV's are fun to have because the make noise, but in most cars they create lean or rich condition due to the air being release from the intake charge once the throttle is closed. Different vehicles have different reactions to BOV's. None will harm the motor of course. But I drove my best friends WRX and there is a clear difference with the BOV not being present. The power feels a little better through the shifts no slight bog. I personally would get a BOV no matter what people say. So, it's entirely upto you man.

not to be a dick or anything, i have a mazda myself (92 626 5speed) but even with the turbo the protege is only 170 hp, while the celica gts is 180 and much lighter, how come you choose to got with the protege...You could have gotten for almost the same money a WRX even that has 250 hp..i think its somewhere around there? Im going to be getting a new car in march and i was wondering why you choose the protege...Iv been debating between the wrx, msp, or the gts. Thanks.

The biggest reason I chose the MSP over the other two is styling. To be honest, I absolutely hate the Celica; a cutsey little rice rocket. The WRX's looks are its downfall also. It is an absolute blast to drive but once you add all the options onto it (sti exhaust, bbs rims, body kit) in order for it to look good, it can creep up to almost $30K. Also there are literally dozens of reasons why the MSP will most likely handle better (and sound better thanks to the stereo system) than the other two. And you've also got the exclusivity of limited production. Finally, as you most likely know, there are way more things to consider when buying a car than strictly horse power numbers.

Well the difference is quite large here...27K for an MSP, about 31 or 32K for the Celica...and at least 36K for the WRX(227HP fyi).

I'd say performance wise the MSP and GTS would be quite close. Naturally the WRX I think is a great car and if you have the money for it...I probably wouldn't argue against it actually. I will say that the MSP being like the MP3 will be a very fun car to drive I'd have to guess.

BigBlue said:
Well the difference is quite large here...27K for an MSP, about 31 or 32K for the Celica...and at least 36K for the WRX(227HP fyi).

I'd say performance wise the MSP and GTS would be quite close. Naturally the WRX I think is a great car and if you have the money for it...I probably wouldn't argue against it actually. I will say that the MSP being like the MP3 will be a very fun car to drive I'd have to guess.

MSRP Celica : $22,455
MSRP WRX : $24,056
MSRP MSP : $20,500

Dono where you got those prices from but these are the msrp prices for cars. I personally love how the MSP looks, i really love the rims...What do you guys think it would cost to bump the hp up to say 200+ And could you do this for under the price of the wrx? So say you have 4,000 to do this. Will a larger turbocharger require intensive engine work? How much more hp will and full exhaust add? Thanks.

Hubcap said:

MSRP Celica : $22,455
MSRP WRX : $24,056
MSRP MSP : $20,500

Dono where you got those prices from but these are the msrp prices for cars. I personally love how the MSP looks, i really love the rims...What do you guys think it would cost to bump the hp up to say 200+ And could you do this for under the price of the wrx? So say you have 4,000 to do this. Will a larger turbocharger require intensive engine work? How much more hp will and full exhaust add? Thanks.

to break 200 hp?? i would say talk to spoolin.... :D :D
but if you add misc engine mods.. such as cams, cam gears, maybe high comp. pistons, throw a header in there, and a cat back if your not satisfied w/ the stock exhaust (is it the racing beat one again? like the mp3?)... and then go w/ either the tripoint engineering turbo or the spoolin turbo.. you should be able to break 200 easily... not sure what the total would be or what the whp would be... but im sure you'd be satisfied....

It all depends on how much time, effort, and money you want to put into your pro.... as for the larger turbo... shouldnt require too much "extensive" engine work if any at all... spoolin... how much modification did you have to do to get the turbo to work satisfactorily w/ the FS engine?? or are u FS-ZE.. wait no.. thats linuxracr right?? cant remember... but anyway... you should go ahead and start askin questions in the Forced Induction forum... or try searchin.. cuz im sure alot of the questions have been asked before :) good luck in your adventures!!

peace

Hubcap said:
not to be a dick or anything, i have a mazda myself (92 626 5speed) but even with the turbo the protege is only 170 hp, while the celica gts is 180 and much lighter, how come you choose to got with the protege...You could have gotten for almost the same money a WRX even that has 250 hp..i think its somewhere around there? Im going to be getting a new car in march and i was wondering why you choose the protege...Iv been debating between the wrx, msp, or the gts. Thanks.

I have been shopping for cars on and off for almost a year now and finally decided on the MSP. I was SURE the WRX was my car. I had a friend who used to work at a local Subaru dealership who gave me a test drive- I real test drive where I could put the car through it paces for a good 2 hours. The WRX is an incredibile car- don't get me wrong. Its not TOO expensive for me, but the payment I was looking at was still just a bit higher than I wanted.

That was part of it- I mean an extra 60-80 bucks a month isn't that big a deal to get a WRX over an MSP, but then I started thinking about the mods I was going to do- performance, styling, and audio- and well, things started to add up fast.

I came across the SCC article about the MSP and gave it a glance or 2. I didn't seem like any big deal to me- the WRX was faster. Something then just clicked in my head- the MSP had EVERYTHING I wanted already on it from the factory- a turbo, nice wheels, a good stereo, great looks, killer suspension setup, and some nice interior accents. To me, the only things I was giving up to get the WRX over the MSP was AWD and 1sec faster down the 1/4 mile and 0-60. The MSP just seems complete from the factory, and the accel times will be improved greatly w/ hopefully some bolt-ons. Its also kinda cool getting something that will be pretty rare (even after the 2nd wave)

Proto-JB said:

I have been shopping for cars on and off for almost a year now and finally decided on the MSP. I was SURE the WRX was my car. I had a friend who used to work at a local Subaru dealership who gave me a test drive- I real test drive where I could put the car through it paces for a good 2 hours. The WRX is an incredibile car- don't get me wrong. Its not TOO expensive for me, but the payment I was looking at was still just a bit higher than I wanted.

That was part of it- I mean an extra 60-80 bucks a month isn't that big a deal to get a WRX over an MSP, but then I started thinking about the mods I was going to do- performance, styling, and audio- and well, things started to add up fast.

I came across the SCC article about the MSP and gave it a glance or 2. I didn't seem like any big deal to me- the WRX was faster. Something then just clicked in my head- the MSP had EVERYTHING I wanted already on it from the factory- a turbo, nice wheels, a good stereo, great looks, killer suspension setup, and some nice interior accents. To me, the only things I was giving up to get the WRX over the MSP was AWD and 1sec faster down the 1/4 mile and 0-60. The MSP just seems complete from the factory, and the accel times will be improved greatly w/ hopefully some bolt-ons. Its also kinda cool getting something that will be pretty rare (even after the 2nd wave)

I agree 100%! The other cars are great cars too, no doubt, but I just feel that the MSP is more of a complete car from the factory. It might not be the fastest of the bunch, but for me anyhow, that's definitely not the only deciding factor.

I wouldn't recomend trying to boost the HP to 200 the Protege can't really handle it. We had a 260HP Protege and the tranny Died more times than........ Well ALOT!! Especially going with a bigger turbo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep that in mind and just race people in the twisties. It is made more for handling than anything else! I know we Frustrated our share of big bad Supras!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back